Coral Vue Hydros

Numbus's 21 gal. Acrylic Box!

numbus

Not sure what you mean about algae goby so I can't comment there.

I would do a clownfish pair. Shrimp gobies with pistol shrimp are neat but clownfish are way better. I love the way my pair interact and snuggle with each other :)

Haha, yeah. But it may be a bad idea to introduce a second clownfish after this one is already settled in... Maybe I should re-arrange some stuff... :P

And what I meant by Algae Goby is a Lawnmower Goby, which is known for tearing apart hair algae (which I have a lot of). :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lawnmower blenny? They get pretty big and can be aggressive.

Well then, now I feel like a fool. -_-

But okay, I will try to stay away from them, then. :)

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm back!

Some things new with the tank. To start off, the Candy Cane died while under the care of my parents, however they replaced it with a new one.

Also, there was a bloom of Red Carpet Algae. However, when I returned, I took care of it and it seems to be under control now.

Lastly, I got something called "Reef Energy". It's pure energy, nutrients, and vitamins for the corals so that all they do is absorb the substance as opposed to digesting food to get energy. Basically, it skips one step in digestion in order for there to be more energy.

I'm glad I'm back, and that's that!

Except...

While I was gone, I had made such an impact on two of my friends that they switched their freshwater tanks to saltwater and now have a reef. At school, we made an inquiry question and may possibly start a school-funded saltwater tank at our school, run by us three!

I may be putting my clam in there (after it cycles, of course) in order for this damn clownfish to host my anemone, hopefully. Yes, that is still a problem. -_-

All I ask is for some suggestions for the new tank? I'm thinking the maximum the school will let us buy is a 30 gallon tank, however we find out at 8 o'clock tomorrow. But what kinds of filters do you recommend? What kinds of skimmers? SUMPs a must? Should I get a biopellet reactor? Anything at all.

Here is what we're thinking so far:

Tank:

- Glass for sure

- Titanium heater

- Bak Pak Skimmer

- Penguin Filter

- SUMP if school will fund

Possible fishes:

- Try to pair clownfish (don't know what kind yet)

- Try to make them host an anemone

- In order for this to happen, the clownfishes would be the first fish introduced

Either

- Red Mandarin Dragonet

Or

- Goby and Pistol Shrimp

Or

- Both

Also, are Pistol Shrimp and Sexy Shrimp compatible? If you know, let me know, please.

As always, numbus.

Ah yes, and I think I will be selling/just plain getting rid of my Six-Liner Wrasse. I never see him very often, and wrasses, just being aggressive by nature and taking up space, truly limit the amounts of life I can have in my tank.

Okay, so a little update since I don't have my camera:

The red algae is back. Poof! It's back. Yeah...

I took the Skimmer out of the tank to try and fix it while it's out of the tank. I'll check the wire, the pump, and the tubes inside of the Skimmer itself.

Finally, I think I'll be getting rid of the 6-Liner for sure, but I don't know what to replace him with. If I get rid the Wrasse, it will open up to the possibility of getting shrimp: Pistol Shrimp, to be more precise. Maybe I will get a Pistol Shrimp and a Watchman Goby for them to match up and do... symbiotic... stuff. Who knows, maybe it will actually work unlike my clownfish hosting my clam instead of two anemones...

If you have any ideas for a cool fish to add, just tell me. Also, if you have any suggestions for a better clean up crew, as the Nassarius Snails won't clean up the Red Algae, and my Scarlet Reds and Dwarf Blue Hermit Crabs won't clean up the Hair Algae. Also, I'm almost 100% the Red Crabs and Emerald Crabs are gone...

:tears:

Anyways,

As always, numbus

Archived