Innovative Marine Aquariums

Numbus's 21 gal. Acrylic Box!

numbus

Yay! When I went to my LFS I found out that I had enough space for at least a Goby!

I thought: Well, since the symbiotic relationship between my Clownfish and my Anemone isn't going very well, why not try the symbiotic relationship between a Goby and my Fire Shrimp?

The relationship hasn't started yet (because he's still scared), but my new Algae Goby and Fire Shrimp should be... Doing best friend stuff together... Soon enough...

Anyways, I put my picture in the POTM and you can also check out my personal gallery, which you can find a link for on the first page of this forum.

I'm happy and hope that this works out! :D

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I realized that I have not been on for a while and I have abandoned this. If you want a quick update check my channel (here).

In short, corals are bleaching, animals are dying, and I'm not taking much care of the tank lately. -_- I'm going to change this. What's going to stop me in the future is camp. I will be going away for two months and I'm leaving the tank in the hands of my parents (which is generally not a good idea. Of course, I'm thinking about giving the responsibility of the tank to my brother, who gave me the tank in the first place, but he does not live with us). However, I will not let this get in front of me now and I'm going to do whatever I can to get this tank to normal before departing.

I've been having lots of work at school and managing a second channel that I have on YouTube, and I really want to get back into the tank and fix everything up.

The first "to-do" for more videos and updates is to fix my camera. The second step is to fix my skimmer. The third step is to control my feeding habits. Another good step is to regularly pick at algae (since it is retaining heat in the tank and sometimes the tank over heats, as well as sucking in minerals and vital elements that the corals need). Lastly, I would like to fix my pump: I took it out for about a week so that all the algae growing on it would shrivel and die, and when I put it back it in worked. Later that night I went to feed and turned it off, but when I plugged it in it never worked again. It's been about a month since then and has not worked.

If any of you see this, please give me suggestions to help me with this, maybe some extra minerals to add to the tank for about a month while doing a water change that would help the corals.

:tears:List of the Dead :tears:

• Shrimp
  • Several Hermit Crabs and Snails
  • Algae Goby

:closedeyes:List of the Bleaching :closedeyes:

• Scolly Coral
  • Bubble Anemone
  • Hammer Coral* (Not bleaching, but not very happy [at all])

In other news: all though the Scolly is bleaching, I think he's splitting! He has a hard, rigid tissue structure going straight down the middle of him, right through his mouth. This could either mean he's splitting... Or dying...

Thank you for listening if you did, and have a good day.

- numbus

I'm sorry you're having bad luck right now! I can't suggest any special mineral to put in the water... Just water changes are what you really need to do. As for your crab situation I read about earlier on the page, could it be that some of the hermits were killing each other off for their shells? That's what happened with my hermits. When there was only one left, he also started executing all my snails. Moral of my story is I don't like blue legged hermits anymore!

I hope you can figure out the issues with the deaths and bleaching. Can you post some parameters? Possibly lack of nutrients from lack of water changes if you've been busy? I'm fairly certain I lost my scolly from lack of calcium because I didn't keep up with my maintenance.

Good luck!

I'm sorry you're having bad luck right now! I can't suggest any special mineral to put in the water... Just water changes are what you really need to do. As for your crab situation I read about earlier on the page, could it be that some of the hermits were killing each other off for their shells? That's what happened with my hermits. When there was only one left, he also started executing all my snails. Moral of my story is I don't like blue legged hermits anymore!

I hope you can figure out the issues with the deaths and bleaching. Can you post some parameters? Possibly lack of nutrients from lack of water changes if you've been busy? I'm fairly certain I lost my scolly from lack of calcium because I didn't keep up with my maintenance.

Good luck!

Thank you for your kindness, and I will post some results right now (after I test the water). :) I have some extra shells lying around that I put in the tank since the hermits started immediately killing each other the first time I got them, so I don't know about that (I hate blue legs now, too -_-). I also thought it was a possibility that they were just killing for meat, since any omnivore prefers meat over plants.

Anyways, since I was busy, I had been doing a water change every two weeks, but I'm picking up right now...

Most Recent Parameters

Keep in mind that I did a water change yesterday!

• Calcium: 660ppm (bit high...)
  • Nitrate: 0ppm
  • Nitrite: 0ppm
  • Phosphate: 0 - 0.25ppm
  • Ammonia: 0 - 0.25ppm
  • pH: 7.8 - 8.0
  • kH: 6dKh or 107.4ppm (bit low...)
  • Salinity: 1.022

The Scolly is dying. :tears:

Since yesterday, he has lost part of his mouth and it looks deathly skeletal... So this morning I decided to do a double water change, meaning I'm changing 4 gallons of water as opposed to 2. I hope this will improve the tank's health.

I also had to take out the mesh from the skimmer and take out a bunch of crap. Fish crap. It smelled absolutely disgusting, and I pray to God that I forget the taste (from starting up the siphon O_O ...)

In other news, I rearranged some stuff. I moved the Candy Cane and Acan a tiny bit, swapped the places between the Scolly and the Clam, and the clownfish seems confused, and a little nervous... I don't know if he's actually confused from moving the clam or not, but he's hanging around the anemone, for once. :)

I will fix the camera soon, hopefully, and I will be able to post up videos again...

Also, for the future of this tank, I want to get a mushroom...

Blue, red, or green? Personally, I say blue or red. I sort of want to go for a different color scheme, though, so I'm leaning towards red. But if it were to be a red, it would have to be a dark red.

Also planning on getting some soft corals, but this isn't any time soon...

Do red!

Glad to see you still around.

Back at you :D. Your tank is awesome now... Jealous -_-

And I agree.

Okay, big message today:

Beginning to rethink the Mushroom Coral. I'm suddenly hearing from EVERYONE that Mushroom Corals pretty much kill anything they touch down the road... :mellow:

However, I have formed a plan:

The first step is to sell the Six-Liner.

He has done nothing for the tank except bite new things that I introduce.

The second step is to possible sell off those damned Blue-Legs.

They do nothing except not eat algae and fight each other, not even for their shells.

However, just to be sure, the third step is get some shells.

Maybe I'll keep a few Blue-Legs.

Fourth step, get a different type of Hermit Crab.

Zebra? Bumble Bee? Ruby?

The fifth step will be to sell the anemone.

He doesn't really do much either except close up when I feed him, and if he's open, he's upside down and can't catch any mysis. I swear that he hasn't probably eaten a single mysis shrimp in a month or so and he's still alive!

The sixth step is to give away the clam.

Not sell it, but give it away. For a week or so. Either my very, very nice LFS will accept it, or my currently-freshwater/brackish/convinced-to-turn-into-saltwater friend's tank. I will explain this in step seven.

The seventh step is to buy a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone... You know, an actual one...

There are three possibilities as to why my clownfish may be hosting a clam as opposed to an anemone:

1. He's just tank bred and doesn't know the difference between a clam or an anemone.

2. He's just set for life in the clam.

Or 3. The anemone is too small to host.

1 and especially 3 seem the most likely.

And this is where step six will come in play again.

The LFS is selling RBTAs for about $60. At least, that's what I saw last time about two months ago. I doubt that their all gone since there were about 150 of them and this isn't really the biggest fish store, but the best, and the prices must be cheaper as tomorrow is Memorial Day and that is when I plan to go. So I will buy an RBTA, give the clam away for a week, the clownfish will panic: "Where's my home and why is there something new around here?"

I did a 4 gallon water change as opposed to 2 gallons yesterday and the clownfish panicked, and the first thing he did was go to the anemone since I moved the clam.

Maybe this will work, maybe not. If he begins hosting the anemone, I will reintroduce the clam. :)

If it doesn't work, I'll reintroduce the clam anyways and try the whole take-the-clownfish-out-and-rearrange-some-stuff-then-reintroduce-the-clownfish approach. He'll be a little, "dafuq?", but that's the idea.

However, rearranging the tank will be hard with my tank. The rocks are humongous + Built a cave out of them + Stuck in the sand + Rocks fit perfectly in the formation they're in right now = Hard to move...

And maybe as a last step, buy a new Goby.

That Algae Goby didn't last very long, and that's because the Six-Liner kept bitting it! Maybe with the Six-Liner gone, I'll have space for a Goby that can actually impact the algae population in my tank before being murdered. Either Algae Goby or Lawnmower Goby, or maybe both. Maybe even a Watchman, and I'd buy a new Blind Shrimp or something... Or Algae Goby and a Cleaner Shrimp... OR... OR... AGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

I honestly hope this works. :P

The Scolly is most definitely gone... But I might be going to my LFS today, so hopefully that will cheer my up. -_-

In sad news, the Scolly is dead. All of it is gone. :tears:

In slightly uplifting news, I went to my LFS today, and although I felt like I was being a bit jipped, I picked three things (Actually seven?)

I got a BTA Anemone. The store told me it's green, and it was $35. I skipped on the Rose, since it was $75 (even though last month it was $50 on any old day, and today it's $75 on Memorial Day :huh: ), however it looks pretty red to me. And when I mean pretty red I mean both it's a pretty shade of red and that there is absolutely no green aspect at all. However, it's also too early to tell and it may be discolored, even though it's not scared at all, fully open, and already accepting food...

Who knows, maybe I jipped the store.

Then I picked up five Scarlet Hermit crabs to accompany my crappy Blue-Legs. They seem to be getting along nicely, so far.

Finally, I bought some coral dip. Even though everybody recommends to me that I get Coral Rx, the LFS had freshly ran out, selling their last Coral Rx last week... So I got Seachem Reef Dip Coral Disinfectant - Also works on fish! :D. Doesn't look very trusty, but the store uses it, so... (I actually read some reviews on the store, most of them say that the fishes have Fluke. I've been lucky so far, buying all these fishes from them, but maybe that's how my Algae Goby died. Maybe.)

That's it, really. :)

Thanks for reading, if you did.

My tank doesn't actually have a cooler, or any way to cool itself down except turn off the heater, turn on the room fan, and open a window... It's overheating way too much so I actually have floating ice packs at the moment... -_-

Uhm, I need a response, or else I'm just going to make a new topic, but I'm getting kind of worried about the Hammer.

His mouth seems to be... fusing?

The two lips look like they are joining together and sort of fusing together, and will eventually disappear. Sort of like a cut closing up, minus the whole scab part.

I've been trying to feed him for the past couple of days, but he always refuses. I'd give him mysis and then he'd just drop it on purpose. He catches food perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with his tentacles, but once he gets it, he holds it for a few minutes, and then just passes it up and drops it next to him, where hermits scurry immediately to get as much as they can.

I've been wondering what's been going on, since I'm worried he'll starve. But today, I got a good look, since he's usually closed up in the morning as I prepare for school, and I get home late with extracurriculars and such. So I noticed that his mouth was... well, gone-ish. Still there, but very, very tiny.

He's incredibly healthy, has the best color in the entire tank besides the acan, and stretches out wide in the middle of the day. So no, he's not dying.

Basically: Any reports on Acans "sewing" their mouths?

Okay guys, good news:

Camera is fixed! I'm uploading some videos now. I'm also uploading some pictures, and they will be at the gallery, so be sure to check those out.

Also, with more photos, I'm also going to put some pictures on the front page of this forum! :D

I'm going to post this here because I seem to have gotten no response from my Gallery. Here's the exact post:

I just need an opinion from you guys:

If I were to enter a picture into POTM this June, which one of these should I enter?

POTMP1.jpg

POTM Possible 1

POTMP2.jpg

POTM Possible 2

POTMP3.jpg

POTM Possible 3

Pic. #2

I'm kind of stuck between 2 and 3. In 2 you can see the face but in 3 you can see the body. But my friend told me to do 1... >_<

Thanks for the input, though. :)

I just found out about SaltyCritters. Here's my wishlist.

This says for after camp. In the position I'm in, I shouldn't be buying things before I go away for camp for 2 months. Yes, two months. And in those two months I leave everything in the hands of my parents, and I predict things are going to die. The last time they took care of this tank is when my brother owned it and he went away for two months at the same exact camp. Two shrimps died, a Coral Beauty died, and a different Scoly died, so I'm on the edge.

I'll pick things up when I get back and want to get some of these. And yes, I understand that by the time I get home these will already be sold!

A little edgy on the Montipora, as I don't understand how they are fed. Can they eat mysis? There's a reason why I don't have SPS in my tank, and it's because I don't, with lack of a better word... Understand!

Anyways, in other news. Two days of darkness have begun. O_O

The days of darkness are over. Not much happened, however algae ACTUALLY thinned down!

I thought my corals would need a week or so to recover, but nope!

CHUCK TESTA!

Anyways, I'm modifying my plan to sell the Six-Liner, get an Algae Goby, when algae has made an evident retreat then I will sell the Goby (possibly), and then swap it for either a Watchman Goby or another Clownfish. If I were to get another Clown, I would spend my time making them pair. If I were to get a Watchman, I'll get another shrimp (the right kind), and they'll live together.

Which one do you like better? Watchman plan or Clownfish plan? Or how about I just keep the Algae Goby?...

Not sure what you mean about algae goby so I can't comment there.

I would do a clownfish pair. Shrimp gobies with pistol shrimp are neat but clownfish are way better. I love the way my pair interact and snuggle with each other :)

Archived