Innovative Marine Aquariums

My poor 15g - GFCI tank crash

cthedaytrader

cthedaytrader

Well I left my tank for a week during spring break and was quite stupid. I left the entire tank on 1 GFCI receptor, which has never tripped before, but it did this week. Leaving my tank without power for several days.

Lost in crash:

2 clowns (2 years old),

1 watchman goby (almost a year old),

several shrimp, including my pistol

15 of 20 sps, some which were fairly new and very rare,

3 clams,

all the xenia, pom pom and elongata.

a lot of shrooms

Amazingly a lot survided, and its time to rebuild.

Lesson learned. This was the first time i left the tank alone on a GFCI, next time I will put at least a pump and heater on a seperate outlet.

Here are some pics of my tank some a few months old when it was mainly softies, and then as I added sps.

cthedaytrader

another after crash, these were about 2 weeks ago. I left a lot of the sps in there even though they have died, just in case some of them try and come back.

I did have a cyano break out, but not too bad, and was controlled with water changes. The tank is doing much better now, and Ill try and take a more recent pic soon.

Lesson learned the hard way

cthedaytrader

I think what really sucked was I had just gotten some really rare frags from exotic reefs and the local pet shop a couple of weeks before, which made this a lot more annoying!!!!!

was this an in-wall GFCI outlet or an adaptor that plugs in to a standard outlet?

Sorry about the crash, that is a bad one. We all get it sometime or another I feel for ya.

cthedaytrader

Thanks,

It was a adapter that goes into the standard outlet.

Do you hear bad things them? I have had it for a while without any problems. The only time it has tripped has been when I have been working on the tank

daytrader, sorry about the crash, it really sucks... i have a question that is off the subject. what is that stuff that you're using to connect your sps frags to the rock? it looks like some sort of putty. i was looking for something like that because i have a small montipora frag that needs to be securely placed on my rocks. good luck with your recovery... j.

DitchPlains

Its an epoxy that when you rub together it becomes active and sticky. You can affix frags underwater with it. It comes in pink or grey, depending on your flavor. The only thing I can say is, I have yet to see one piece of coraline algae grow on this stuff, but maybe its mine so becareful and don't use a lot when trying to adhere corals. Ok Take Care

p.s. You can buy this stuff anywhere I forget the name but its just an epoxy. :)

cthedaytrader

thats right its an epoxy I just got from the pet shop, two parts that mix togther. This is the first time I have used it, and I think I like glue better, its not as visible and holds better. But this is good for keeping larger pieces and rocks from tumbling. But for small frags I would stick with glue or goop or something like that.

cthedaytrader

I have always wanted a flame hawk, but I never wanted to subject my shrimp to it, well now ther eare none lol!!! I was also thinking about trading up and getting a rose bta instead of my green, a bicolor blenny, and maybe a maroon yellow stipe clown.

What do you think?

my lfs has a mated pair of blue stripe clowns, and those things are nice. a little large for a nano, but so is a maroon. but people still pull it off all the time. good luck with whatever you pick.....

Archived