Top Shelf Aquatics

my new 20L

MrKrispy

It took months of curing and planning and asking lots of questions to lots of members. Here it is a mere week after being setup. Lots of rearranging going on still, but I wanted to show the setup and the 250W MH light. One light fits a 20L great!

Here is a link to my original 10g that had most of the same corals in it. My first tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=19141

Sorry for the picture quality I don't know what I am doing...

some rics I love that are attached to some sort of bivalve so I am too ascared to cut them. I keep waiting for them to spread on to base rocks but they just keep getting bigger

My frogspawn that I also love but am gonna trade in. I am just too paranoid about it stinging the SPS and everything else. I gave it a whole 1/3 of a tank but now I wanna put acros up and stuff there.

an unidentified green acro I got from a co-worker. If you look in my old 10g thread above you will see it is white. It turned greenish when I moved it in the middle of my 10g under 96W PC, and it is starting to encrust the mounting rubble.

Some other tidbits:

The light is a 250W DE PFO pendant with IceCap ballast and 20k Coralvue bulb. Extremely happy with the combo, I just wish the pendants weren't so ugly looking. The elbow stand is temporary, friggin Home Depot has been out of the wire clamps for two weeks, I am gonna mount it to the ceiling.

I have a 12" custom fuge from the E-bay guy, but I am sick of it and am gonna work on a sump/SCWD plan. The fuge can't seem to make up its mind about its water level, I am sick of trying to nail down the proper outflow... The fuge has chaeteomorpha in it, LS, LR, but no additional lighting. The algae grows pretty darn fast with the MH light there.

Stand is custom built by Moore Cabinets via CustomAquatic. Pulls (!!!) are courtesy of my girlfriend.

Only fish is the neon goby still, I want to add an ocellaris or two.

tricolor acro the day I put it in. I got it from a local reefer, very cool. Just want the photo to look back at in a few months...

I pretty much conquered the algae until the curse-d red pube algae came back while I had most of my cleaners in a separate tank. No green stuff has come back and the emerald(s) cleaned out the bubble algae...

that's it, the empty upper spaces are ready and waiting for lots of SPS......of course the wallet is waiting for money too...

Mutton Mogul

very very nice man. congrats on the successful tank.

i've read that coralline algae doesn't like powerful lights... i guess this is not the case from the looks of yours?

EtOH_is_good

i like the stand. could you give more details on the stand? could you also give us a shot of the space in the stand? im looking to build a stand for a 20L and need some ideas.

Thanks for replies everyone. Okay:

Pendant and ballast and bulb I got at Marine Depot and/or Premium Aqautics. I got the bulb at one, the rest at the other place. I can't remember. The total price was about $310.

The stand I had custom built to accomodate my refugium, battery air pump, and topoff pump. I also wanted the room for future expansion for a SCWD setup. I will get some more stand photos tonight if I can. Oh, the stand was about $215 and is unfinished pine. I decided not to stain it because it looked so good. I put about 5 coats of water based sealer everywhere.

The coralline hasn't disappeared yet, but remember a bunch of the rock came from my 10g, so maybe it will die off. I tend to keep my calcium above 425 so maybe that will help. I would prefer to cover the rock in sps though!

Awesome setup, looks larger than a twenty. Really looks good with the decor too.

Off topic...... How are those shelves on the walls next to the tank attached?

Fortune teller Digity predict that, "This tank gonna look freaking awesome in near future, when all that SPS grow in, now you owe mr.digity 5 bucks for your psychic reading, mon."

You planning on running your SCWD from a close loop, or sump? The stand looks sweet btw, matches your furniture.

The shelves are just IKEA things, you anchor them in the drywall and screw a bracket into the anchors. Shelves slide on to bracket and screw down. Simple.

I am most likely gonna run the SCWD from a sump, I am sick of looking at the HOB refugium and I can't get a consistent level out of it, I have had issues with the water level since I got it, and bought about 20 different piping fittings and am just done with it. Whew.

I probably owe ya 5 bucks for the reading and the lighting help VonDy. Thanks

Archived