Top Shelf Aquatics

Mushroom?

patback

I was wondering what type of mushroom this is. It's tan/ creme color with whiteish tips on the end of tentacle type things. Almost reminds me of a bubble tip anemone kind of. Don't mind the cyano. (ok so I feel stupid, does someone want to tell me how to upload a photo from an iPhone?). ;-)

get photobucket app. upload your pics from phone with the app. link the IMG code to the forum. (copy paste)

Damn I was bested at typing speed.

I was wondering what type of mushroom this is. It's tan/ creme color with whiteish tips on the end of tentacle type things. Almost reminds me of a bubble tip anemone kind of. Don't mind the cyano. (ok so I feel stupid, does someone want to tell me how to upload a photo from an iPhone?). ;-)

if you email yourself the photo, and save it..upload it to image shack, get the image URL and click on the Insert Image tab when you're writing a post. it's the box that looks like it has a photo of mountains or something in it.

sounds like it could be a majaaaaaano, let's see pics

It's completely soft tho, no skeleton. I've never had one so I wouldn't know for sure, but torch or frogspawn. Would hurt like a mother if you touches it, right? This one just feels soft and squishy.

That would be cool. My girlfriend ( who knows close to nothing about coral). Was going on and on about this coral she saw at a locksmith's shop and how he got it as a frag and grew like 10 times the size in a little under a years time. The next day "there it is!". In the 5 dollar frag tank so I figured why not. I asked a worker there and he said it was a type of mushroom, and to care for it like you would the basic disc shroom. I would obviously feel much better knowing exactly what it is though :/.

I would say no to a plate coral tho bc when it. Closes up, it's about the size of a pea

Wow, that's two for frogspawn. Even though I thought it was a type of mushroom, I'm not going to lie when I say that I like that answer better.

Frogspawn propagates by dropping little buds that look similar to that. They take root somewhere and eventually start growing and forming a skeleton. Just make sure you keep up on water changes so it has adequate calcium to build the skele.

edit: looking again, at the base, it looks like it's starting to turn white which would be the first stage to calcification.

WeLl. That's exciting, I'm at work right now but when I get home I am absolutely going to take a closer look and hopefully maybe some more pictures to post.

Frogspawn propagates by dropping little buds that look similar to that.

+1 to this. My hammer just did this very same thing. I went ahead and put it on a piece of rubble, and my tiger pistol promptly took it into it's burrow. doh!

Blah, all I got was I e crappy picture that you can hardly see the frag in. Lights were out by the time I got a chance to snap a picture and my two new Xenia corals kicked the bucket, so after a positive test for ammonia I figured that I didn't really want to piss anything off by turning the lights on and stuff like that. Oh well hopefully today or tomorrow.

Actually to me it looks more like a baby yuma mushroom. They look almost exactly like this when they start to grow after the parent leaves a bit of its foot behind. The only you can really do is let it grow and see what it starts to look more like. If it is a frogspawn though 5 bucks is very good deal :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Completely forgot about this thread. Haha. Anyways, here I a photo I shot of it when it was shrunken up, and a pic or 2 of it possiblie splitting tentacles/ nemacysts ?452de62f.jpg

630d1f80.jpg

4e31e5dd.jpg

If you look closely, there is a clear "bubble". Coming slightly below the cream colored tip. This was a couple weeks ago, now there are multiple ones and some clearly shrinking and splitting in half then fully inflating again. Anyone feel more confident making a sure I'd?

they both do that.

im guessing torch bc frogs tentacles have more than one bubble on the end and are generally green/pink or green/purple.

Archived