Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gobies Living in Harmony

Fiesta_reef_time

Fiesta_reef_time

Hey All,

I've always had an idea to add some more gobies in to my 10 gallon to create an all-goby tank. I've currently got a YWG goby in there all alone with a pistol shrimp, I think they're paired, they just don't spend all their time together.

Anyways I was just wondering what kind of gobies will live in harmony with the YWG, and how many more I can get.

Thanks!

In general gobies are pretty peaceful, so you should have no problems adding more. I don't know how territorial watchmans are, so I'd avoid bottom dwelling ones and go for perchers/free-swimmers.

Eviota and Trimma sp. are great - really tiny, can live in pairs or groups without problems. Eviotsa seem to be more shy. I had a couple Trimma rubromaculatus for a while and they had great personalities - really active and bright red.

Clown gobies are also good choices, but some may have aggression towards conspecifics and similarly shaped species. (i.e. a green clown goby and a black clown goby might fight each other, but either would be fine with your watchman.) I have two black clown gobies with a hi fin goby right now, and they largely ignore each other.

Neon gobies, sharknosed gobies, masked gobies, and red head gobies are perchers too. They are a little bigger than trimmas and eviots, but still small.

A Rainford's or Hector's goby would be fine temperament-wise - but they can sometimes have trouble feeding and I'm not sure if they'd need more than 10 gallons.

Priolepis sp., circus gobies, should also work, but they are very cryptic. Same with rusty gobies.

So basically you have lots of options! I've probably forgotten a few. Have fun googling.

And really nice scape, btw. Tank looks great.

animalmaster6

Trimma and Eviota gobies are always awesome additions to add to a tank. They stay small and are really, really cool.

If you want to spend the money Flaming Prawn Gobies are great.

Greenbanded Gobies, Redheaded Gobies, Masked Gobies and other gobies of similar genus' usually work great. I'm currently looking for some Bryaninops natans. They look and act amazing. Trimma tevegae is a good option if you could find them.

Any of the neon gobies are great choices. They are small and can prevent against disease. They are really cool.

Clown gobies are a popular choice, also!

You might have to order from the net.. one of my LFSs had one mislabeled as a diamond watchman (doesn't exist). Unfortunately, it was a replacement for my male that died when my heater over-heated, not a mate :(

Really nice looking fish though, hints of blue in the fins and whatnot.

Fiesta_reef_time
You might have to order from the net.. one of my LFSs had one mislabeled as a diamond watchman (doesn't exist). Unfortunately, it was a replacement for my male that died when my heater over-heated, not a mate :(

Really nice looking fish though, hints of blue in the fins and whatnot.

I can see nano-reef.com's first ever yellow watchman goby hatching thread in the future.

• 9 years later...
NoOneLikesADryTang
54 minutes ago, Micky#7 said:

I have a shark noise goby in a 20 gal long can I put a yellow or any other clown gobies in

A shark nose will be fine with any of the shrimp gobies, or clown gobies.