inTank Media Baskets

Tim's 15 Gallon College Swag Tank

timothymarsh

@fretfreak13- Yup that tank is hanging from the ceiling. Not sure how they prevent overflow from the filtration in the event of a power outage. Very cool idea for a tank.

@Rehype and alberttheil- I think it is a bacterial bloom. Any way to control this in the future? Should I just make sure that I always have fresh carbon and chemipure?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I haven't had an update in a very long time. I changed the scape a bit, and I glued down the acan, green toadstool, and xenia. Everything has been looking awesome in it's new spot and the water has not gone through any bacterial blooms since the one two weeks ago. Picture time.

FTS

001-16.jpg?t=1351453335

FTS

002-19.jpg?t=1351453333

Right side

003-20.jpg?t=1351453348

Blurry left side

004-18.jpg?t=1351453349

Random angle

005-15.jpg?t=1351453372

Looking down

006-17.jpg?t=1351453362

Random craziness

007-14.jpg?t=1351453371

Top down

008-10.jpg?t=1351453385

So I haven't had an update in a very long time. I changed the scape a bit, and I glued down the acan, green toadstool, and xenia. Everything has been looking awesome in it's new spot and the water has not gone through any bacterial blooms since the one two weeks ago. Picture time.

Wow ... looks real nice indeed ... happy reef keeping !

@dormreefer- haha thanks. All of my roommates are really trying to be efficient with their power.

@alberttheil- thank you. All the hard work is starting to come together, now I get to sit back and just watch my reef grow and mature.

@dormreefer- haha thanks. All of my roommates are really trying to be efficient with their power.

@alberttheil- thank you. All the hard work is starting to come together, now I get to sit back and just watch my reef grow and mature.

Yes that's the ticket ... and also why we keep reefs so we can enjoy looking at them, of course that all involves a lot of work and maintenance ...

• 1 month later...

quick question abotu that finnex fuge that you had, by having the pump inside of the fuge, did it take away from the flow? i was debating about if i should use the pump or go with a cobalt pushing 100gph or so but kinda scared if it may be too much? any information could help thanks!

@Reefnoobie: Having the pump inside of the fuge did take a little bit of power away but it was probably for the best. The box is small enough that the reduced flow results in just the right amount of water being pushed through. I think getting the pump out of the main display is well worth any loss of water pressure.

@Reeftech: Thanks! I work hard to ensure that the system is healthy and beautiful.

Sorry I haven't posted any updates in over a month. Organic chemistry was taking up a lot of my time (I managed to get an A-) and finals have been crazy. Major changes:

- Clownfish and blenny went back to Miami so I wouldn't have to worry about them over holiday break.

-AC70 no longer has cheato and fuge light, just running chemipure and purigen.

-Par38's only have red and blue LED's open. Whites were loosely covered by blue painters tape.

I'll try to get some pictures soon but lately my point and shoot camera can't even handle the 20k look of the tank.

• 1 month later...

So it's been entirely too long since my last post. The tank made it through winter break with nothing but awesome growth, and the clownfish pair is back in the tank. I planned on making some fairly major moves with the coral this weekend so I'll try to snap some before and after pictures (the camera is charging right now). Also, I've officially made it past the 1 year mark with more than five moves and no deaths, which is something I'm pretty proud of. I'm thinking all I need is one or two more zoa species and then the tank will just grow out from there. The torches/frogspawn present an interesting space use problem in such a small tank, however I like the challenge. Pictures to come later (hopefully).

• Like 1

Can't wait to see the update! I had to take my 15g down for the move from Florida to Texas...the tank is sitting empty but I am thinking of doing a SPS bare bottom only tank :)

That sounds awesome! I think the smaller size of the 15 will look really cool with an SPS barebottom setup. I am thinking about converting my tank to barebottom in a few months. I think covering the bottom in some GSP would look cool.

• Like 1

Update time!! Got a nice little Red Cap frag from the LFS last weekend. I didn't get a before picture of the rock scape but here are the results. Still need to clean some things up this weekend when I do a water change.

The Fancy Neighborhood

174_zps88be2357.jpg?t=1360350804

Down the reef

173_zps4e9646ed.jpg?t=1360350802

Left Side

172_zps6f4a62eb.jpg?t=1360350798

Right Side

171_zps51e5a26c.jpg?t=1360350795

Red Cap!!

170_zps323f2557.jpg?t=1360350793

Angle Shot

169_zps1f3e237d.jpg?t=1360350790

FTS

168_zpsfd39f9a1.jpg?t=1360350785

Emerald Crab acting like a BOSS

166_zps8002bd76.jpg?t=1360350779

• Like 1

Lol, I'm kinda scared for my power bill next month as well. I'm in an apartment in Richmond going to school. Thumbs up for taking your tank to school, I couldn't sacrifice my corals.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick photo drop on this beautiful friday in orlando. Did a two gallon water change last night, fragged a small piece of xenia, and moved the green rics to the other side of the tank. Everything is looking healthy, the green toadstool leather is really taking off!

054_zps4527a38e.jpg?t=1361573919

053_zpsfe5fd18e.jpg?t=1361573916

051_zps98428646.jpg?t=1361573907

050_zpsc40c9b96.jpg?t=1361573906

049_zps5fc0c38e.jpg?t=1361573899

048_zpsd1e00055.jpg?t=1361573901

• 2 weeks later...
timothymarsh

Quick Spring Break Update:

I'm in Miami for the next few days so I won't be able to check on the tank but I'm sure it's doing fine. I did a big water change right before I left and I made sure the fish were well fed. My plan is to slowly get rid of the xenia over the next few weeks and possibly pick up one or two peppermint shrimps in order to combat the aptasia problem. I have also committed to going barebottom for the summer so that should be an interesting change. Only possible coral additions would be one or two more zoa frags, but even that is questionable. I'll post some pics when I get back to Orlando.

Oh, and we're at 10,000 views!!!

timothymarsh

So along with going bare bottom soon, I will also be building a custom wood stand for the tank :) Nothing crazy, but the color scheme will be black with gold trimming in order to show some school spirit. I'm debating whether I want to add a door to the front or not, only time and materials available will answer that question. I'm also going to add an L-bracket to the back of the stand so I can clamp the lights there. Having the lights hanging from the ceiling by one screw in each base just seems to be tempting fate in my opinion. I'll try to document the build as best I can, stay tuned!

timothymarsh

So Rome wasn't built in a day but my new tank stand was! It's still down in Miami because it needs to be painted but my parents will be bringing it up in two weeks. I got some pictures of the build so I'll post them soon. I couldn't be happier with the way that it turned out, and for a grand total of about $35 my wallet is happy also. Bare bottom tank + sick stand= awesome setup. Stay tuned!

timothymarsh

Here's some teaser shots of the new stand. I'll post some more pics later on.

Two legs on

058_zps6a1505de.jpg?t=1363268362

Getting a plan together

056_zpsd526dde0.jpg?t=1363268354

Support Pieces

062_zps45325adb.jpg?t=1363268381

Top frame

057_zps092583b6.jpg?t=1363268363

Archived