SaltCritters.com

Tim's 15 Gallon College Swag Tank

timothymarsh

timothymarsh

Picked up two new corals a few days ago. Got an acan frag and cool paly for $25, not bad. The tank is going to my girlfriends house in three days because I have to move out of my dorm. And then two weeks after that it's going to where I staying for summer term. During that time the pygmy angel is going to a new home in miami ( my dad's 30 gal), and I want to set up a totally new scape. The clowns are going to be very happy having the whole tank to themselves, should also reduce the bioload on the system. Also, I'll be upgrading to LEDTRiC PAR38 tri-color bulbs, just waiting on boostled to get the darn clamps back in stock. I'll try to get some pics of the frags soon. Already hooked on acans!!!!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Picked up two new corals a few days ago. Got an acan frag and cool paly for $25, not bad. The tank is going to my girlfriends house in three days because I have to move out of my dorm. And then two weeks after that it's going to where I staying for summer term. During that time the pygmy angel is going to a new home in miami ( my dad's 30 gal), and I want to set up a totally new scape. The clowns are going to be very happy having the whole tank to themselves, should also reduce the bioload on the system. Also, I'll be upgrading to LEDTRiC PAR38 tri-color bulbs, just waiting on boostled to get the darn clamps back in stock. I'll try to get some pics of the frags soon. Already hooked on acans!!!!

Be careful with the clamp as it's not designed for Par38's. Rather, it was designed for the Par30's. I would just be cautious since the Par38's are heavier.

timothymarsh

Thanks for the concern but I've talked to several people using a Boost clamp/par38 combo and they all say that it works fine. LEDTRiC is also coming out with a clamp of their own so I'll look into that as well since it will be designed for the par38 bulb that I'm using.

timothymarsh

As promised, a bunch of pictures. Super bored between final exams so all this came out.

003-7.jpg

004-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-5.jpg

008-5.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-4.jpg

011-4.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

017.jpg

018-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
timothymarsh

So after a week long trip to the Big Apple, my tank is still alive and doing well. The pygmy angel is loving his new 30 gallon home and the clowns are very happy having the tank to themselves. In two weeks I have to move the tank again to my summer dorm, so we'll see how that goes. The girlfriend is watching it right now as I'm down in Miami with my family. Here's some pics I got this morning before I left.

173.jpg

174.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

timothymarsh

I picked up four SPS frags from a friend, but they have to survive a week in this setup before I can get them back to the tank in Orlando. LEDTRIC bulb + air pump + bucket= interesting experiment. Hopefully all goes well as this is my first foray into the SPS department.

002-8.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-8.jpg

005-4.jpg

timothymarsh

So the tank is finally moved into it's new home, and the new LEDTRiC lights look amazing. I also put in the inTank media basket for the AC70 and that seems to be working well. Overall the coral is a bit pissed off today but it should be looking good tomorrow. I like that the tank is now more open, it looks so sleek. It's also very easy to work with now that the wood cover is gone. Might add a koralia nano so that the new SPS frags have enough flow. Enough talking, pics to prove it!!!!

001-7.jpg

002-9.jpg

003-9.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-5.jpg

006-7.jpg

timothymarsh

So the new dorm room that I have gets down to 71 at night so it looks like I need to get a heater :( I really want to keep this tank as simple as possible so this is bothering me a lot, but the corals need it so I'll probably buy one today when I pick up more salt. The new lights are so freakin awesome, and I was glad to see good polyp extension on the new frags when I put them in yesterday. I'll try to snap a few shots later today.

timothymarsh

Thanks. I really don't like the design of the clamps when they are put on the side of a rimmed tank. The power cord is about two inches under water, and the white bolts are really an eye sore in the tank. My girlfriend actually came up with the idea of hanging the lights from the rack above, and it is working out great. So much better than that wooden fortress I had over the tank a week ago. lol

• 3 weeks later...
timothymarsh

So a couple of days ago I traded in my dad's Lionfish and my GPS frag for a nice size acan coral. It's a dull green color with light blue random patches and orange rings around the mouth. The tank is looking pretty good right now except for an algae outbreak that I'm trying to get under control. I added a Hydor Pico pump to give the SPS frags a little bit more flow, and they seem to be loving it so far. I'll post some pictures later today once I get back from class.

timothymarsh

^ lol what's so funny?

So here are the pictures that I promised. Just some general shots to show how bad my camera is and how much editing I have to do to these shots lol. As a note, I added the Hydor Pico 180 for a little bit more flow and i have to say that it really is a good pump. It has the ability to control the amount of flow, and is small enough to fit in almost any corner of a tank. Really a good product if you want a smaller pump than the koralia nano.

002-10.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-6.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
timothymarsh

So I just ordered a LEDTRiC 20k light to add some more pop to the corals that I have. They are having a nice 4th of July sale right now so if you're looking for new lights now is a good time to buy. I also took out some rocks yesterday as I'm looking to create a more open feel in the tank. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow once I clean the glass and get some new frags situated in their new home.

timothymarsh

So here we go with the Swag tank version 2.0, it's more open, and is going to be centered around creating groupings of similar coral. Initial pics with some room for improvement over the next few weeks. I would like to pick up a hammer or torch, a few more echinata's to complete that "garden", and a few ricordeas and zoas to round out the collection. Here we go:

New FTS:

005-7.jpg

Beginning of Acan garden, and partial view of Zoa island:

004-11.jpg

Big brother watching over the young gun:

003-12.jpg

Central piece in tank, Neon green tipped frogspawn:

002-11.jpg

Closer shot showing new scape and rough layout of coral areas:

001-8.jpg

Thank you for taking a look, feel free to drop off any suggestions for coral aquisitons (no SPS please), and have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...
timothymarsh

So as the third place winner of LEDTRiC's facebook contest I won a free reef clamp, so I decided to add a 20k bulb to the setup. I thought it was going to add a bit more of the royal blue color to the tank but over it still gives good "pop" to the coral. I traded in two of my SPS frags for a nice new orange acan. Overall the tank is doing well, I just need to stay on top of keeping my HOB filters clean, they have a bad habit of getting really trashy. PICS!!

FTS:

001-10.jpg

The trio:

002-12.jpg

New orange acan:

003-13.jpg

Random bad photography skills:

004-12.jpg

The ugly side:

005-8.jpg

Birds eye view:

006-9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
timothymarsh

Thank you Lee.

I picked up a nice yellow tipped torch the other day and I moved some of the pieces around the tank. Little by little I'm getting to where I want to be as far as coral placement. The tank is getting moved in about three weeks anyways, so I can't worry too much about what it looks like. Pictures:

Actinct Frogspawn

001-11.jpg

Bad looking FTS

002-13.jpg

More of the same

003-14.jpg

New torch and mounted zoa/paly in the background

004-13.jpg

Echinata and zoa islands

005-9.jpg

Cool acan

006-10.jpg

Actinct Acropora

007-7.jpg

timothymarsh

No pics today (although I did move some stuff around), just a quick update on how I'm gonna deal with moving the tank at the end of summer semester. I talked with the LFS and they said they could keep it for the two weeks before I move into my new apartment. (Thank god.) I thought for sure they were going to turn me away because of the extra stress that it puts on them, but they're pretty cool so it all worked out well. The same LFS is also looking for some part-time help so I dropped off a resume, hopefully I'll hear back soon about that. Tank is looking good, so I'm a happy camper.

timothymarsh

So I'm looking to add a more dynamic filtration setup to my system, and I think I might have found an economical answer in one of these:

Finnex HOB Refugium

I am going to get the version with the FugeRay light and the water pump instead of the air pump. I haven't decided if this will be a bare bottom fuge or a full on setup, either way I want it to look good enough to complement the main system. It's about 10 inches long so I'm gonna have it on the left side of the tank (allowing me to somewhat hide the intake). A few pictures of what I'm shooting for:

dsc_0718%20copy%20-%20550.jpg

bi81s6.jpg

6327208707_fa94165cec.jpg

Baffles are not shown in this picture but I would use them

mrzt09.jpg

Any comments or feedback are welcome.

timothymarsh

Haha I'm originally from Miami but going to school in Orlando right now. I think the title fits the tank rather well, I wanted to give the thread a little bit more life than just "15 gallon college tank."

littlelactose

I'm with milk on this one, the title makes me hate your tank before even looking at it. But what do I know, anyways?

Archived