Innovative Marine Aquariums

{insert-user}+{insert-tank} = topic_title

siwelk

This is gonna be a sweet tank. I like the dimensions you used, almost wish I had gone with a little wider then 14inch. mine is 25.75x14x16. The stand idea with standbeside cabinet is pretty much what I was going for except using the cabinet for electronics. I do love your overflow idea and plumbing. With it being 3 side penninsula viewable. What kinda scape you going for? Every time I see a peninsula tank I always wanna do a scape similar to the underground sand cats mouth from the disney movie aladin...cascading up toward the back side with overflow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is gonna be a sweet tank. I like the dimensions you used, almost wish I had gone with a little wider then 14inch. mine is 25.75x14x16. The stand idea with standbeside cabinet is pretty much what I was going for except using the cabinet for electronics. I do love your overflow idea and plumbing. With it being 3 side penninsula viewable. What kinda scape you going for? Every time I see a peninsula tank I always wanna do a scape similar to the underground sand cats mouth from the disney movie aladin...cascading up toward the back side with overflow

Thanks man. My last tank was only 12" deep, and I quickly found this to be very constrictive.

How do you like your tank? It's basically what I went for aside from the additional depth.

As for the scape, I'm thinking of trying to do a floating design.

The rock would be supported by both an acrylic rod base and anchored to the ceiling with monofilament line.

I originally wanted a minimalistic, bare-bottom scape, but this floating scape idea is really gaining traction.

As you may very well know, all this is tentative.

I actually love the size of my tank. and I am sure you will too, the extra 6 inches will let you get alot of depth with your scape especially since your going to do floating. Just my opinion depending on how high your talking about going off the bottom/sand the rods on the bottom could be a bad thing. 1 if you do rods from the bottom, make sure you have a base for the rod so any weight wont be on the glass, which im sure you know. and also the idea of floating islands you probably want to minimize the ammount of support for them that is seen. hanging from fishingline/monofilament could work. If this tank will be two sided Id say drill a hole in the back side of the rock and insert rods from the side that will touch the glass to prevent the rocks from swaying with the mp10 waves. if its 3 sided I would do it on your overflow side. basically use the rod as

sway support with the end of the rod siliconed to the glass. hmmmmm

Also...just me...run your vortech on 100% :P

I actually love the size of my tank. and I am sure you will too, the extra 6 inches will let you get alot of depth with your scape especially since your going to do floating. Just my opinion depending on how high your talking about going off the bottom/sand the rods on the bottom could be a bad thing. 1 if you do rods from the bottom, make sure you have a base for the rod so any weight wont be on the glass, which im sure you know. and also the idea of floating islands you probably want to minimize the ammount of support for them that is seen. hanging from fishingline/monofilament could work. If this tank will be two sided Id say drill a hole in the back side of the rock and insert rods from the side that will touch the glass to prevent the rocks from swaying with the mp10 waves. if its 3 sided I would do it on your overflow side. basically use the rod as

sway support with the end of the rod siliconed to the glass. hmmmmm

Also...just me...run your vortech on 100% :P

I planned on anchoring the rods into a 1/2" acrylic or starboard base.

I was hoping to get away with using a minimal amount. Maybe 4-6?

I know it will be a challenge to secure the 'floating' rock in a moderate flow tank.

I planned on experimenting inside my $20 sump with some flow to get a general idea.

I thought if I make a single rock 'sculpture' and drill it to accept the rods, adding the extra support line might hold it steady. I haven't seen many floating builds so I'm kind of flying blind. Should be a good experiment in any case. It will be peninsula style so I might look into using a single rod running the length...

Edit: I planned on giving my MP10 a workout but damn. Hoping YMMV?

YMMV? whats that?

To reference of your vortech my guess is you will be doing a floating sps or lps build? It seems the more flow I give the more/longer the polyps extend.

Yes. Not many floating builds. wouldnt necessarily need a rod running the length just one or two a couple inches into the rock stucture to stabilize it against the side. Building your rock structure outside of the tank, connecting each rock by drilling a hole and using type 2 plastic(such as cut sections of clothes hangars) for rods and epoxy puttying them together. The other problem becomes how to anchor the microfilament line as you cannot use metal. If I come up with an Idea for that ill let you know, unless you already have something in mind.

Just to give you some Ideas, a great Artists named Roger Dean made the album covers for the 60's band named Yes, and also Asia. He is well know for floating Island paintings and could be a good source for an idea of how to form your scape. Google him and im sure you will be pleased, if you cannot find anything I have his entire collection as a digital copy and will send it to you.

Just to give you some Ideas, a great Artists named Roger Dean made the album covers for the 60's band named Yes, and also Asia. He is well know for floating Island paintings and could be a good source for an idea of how to form your scape. Google him and im sure you will be pleased, if you cannot find anything I have his entire collection as a digital copy and will send it to you.

LMAO...Yes and Asia you say? Hmmm lol. I didn't know the artist though. I'll check him out.

IMAG0018.jpg?t=1324432179

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

It will be a mixed reef, SPS after 3 mo. maybe.

oooooh nice collection sir, and yea the artist is one of my favorites, I have 2 of his paintings in 1/200 giclee, Morning Dragon and the Asia Eagle & pyramid. But he was definitely know for his floating island and arches

LOL & bombs and mice

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build play out. Document! And if you get it set up, let me know if you want some freebies. Nothing busch league in my tank haha.

...wow, im so switching from Reef crystals...

I'd note that this is less available than RC and potentially mail-order only.

I've not used it before so I'm pretty stoked myself. It got mad thumbs_up.png reviews.

I don't really mind ordering it online.

I'm still looking @ my LFS to see if they stock it.

Generally it comes out the same $$ anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build play out. Document! And if you get it set up, let me know if you want some freebies. Nothing busch league in my tank haha.

For sure, for sure.

Last time I was in the Springs there were like 2 separate shootings though.

We may have to watch out. Mr. Saltwatertank might have his thugs down there.

Breakin' boys off like, "super slow-mo knee to the groin, hooyah!"

I'm thinking of ordering some dry rock soon to seed whilst I wait.

I've previously used Marco, and plan to go a similar route once again.

I figured I'd try either BRS Pukani or Reefcleaners this time around.

I've researched both types and find them to be equally pleasing to my eye.

Any suggestions? I'd probably want ~ 25#, fist to softball size/type shapes.

Looking to order before Jan 1. Either via BRS Group Buy discount or John M.

Archived