Cultivated Reef

I HATE MArineland

ednangel

I should have know better than to buy this pump now I have to come up with a way to keep my stock alive without dismantling the whole set up for a week. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: I should have known better than to trust this company again specially after the stealth pro fiasco.

I did my weekly clean up and finally installed my ATO, so I turned everything off and did my clean up, installed the ATO and everything. When I plugged the return pump, puff, no nothing it doesn’t work. I bought it 7 weeks ago but it has been used for 5 wks only. I contacted foster and smith but that’s another week. You know such a small tank it's a time bomb if any equipment fail.

altolamprologus
I did my weekly clean up and finally installed my ATO, so I turned everything off and did my clean up, installed the ATO and everything. When I plugged the return pump, puff, no nothing it doesn't work. I bought it 7 weeks ago but it has been used for 5 wks only. I contacted foster and smith but that's another week. You know such a small tank it's a time bomb if any equipment fail.

Try dismantling it (not all the way, just as much as you can easily take off), cleaning it, making sure there's not trapped air, and putting it back together. That's worked for me a few times when pumps didn't restart after being unplugged.

I had a mini-jet not start on me a couple of days ago. I took the magnet/impeller assembly out, rubbed the gunk off, and popped it back in. It started right up. Remember to unplug it before you take it apart. Mine tried to take my finger off.

I love my little mini-jet. Its a great pump.

I still don't understand how this will kill your tank. Run to your LFS and get a pump,always a good idea to have a back up of critical parts. What would happen if it failed in 2 years, would you be in the same boat?

I knew marineland sucked but sh!t I didn't know their stuff failed that quick!

It doesn't. There are no threads made by people posting that "everything is OK with my pump today"

I contacted foster and smith but that's another week.

Contact Marineland instead, Fosters did not make the pump.

altolamprologus
It doesn't. There are no threads made by people posting that "everything is OK with my pump today"

I know that, but with the 2 recalls and countless failures of the stealth pro heaters and pretty crappy led lights that don't live up to packaging claims, they don't have the best track record for being reliable.

I still don't understand how this will kill your tank. Run to your LFS and get a pump,always a good idea to have a back up of critical parts. What would happen if it failed in 2 years, would you be in the same boat?

Contact Marineland instead, Fosters did not make the pump.

thx steve i'm a long time marineland customer, from pumps to filters and heaters you name it. Since i bought it from DRFS and it's only been 7 weeks they got a 60 day guarantee and they're sending me a replacement tomorrow. I've dealt with marineland in the past and they are kinda slow.

I know that, but with the 2 recalls and countless failures of the stealth pro heaters and pretty crappy led lights that don't live up to packaging claims, they don't have the best track record for being reliable.

There was the Stealth pro recall but what was the second?

thx steve i'm a long time marineland customer, from pumps to filters and heaters you name it. Since i bought it from DRFS and it's only been 7 weeks they got a 60 day guarantee and they're sending me a replacement tomorrow. I've dealt with marineland in the past and they are kinda slow.

Drs is good stuff. Made in China... sucks but their pumps are pretty good IME. Must have gotten a bad one.

i wish we could see more "made in usa" stuff that it's worth something. This batch says made in Italy thou. take kessil US company, made in taiwan... :(

igotreefermadness

Sometimes pumps just need a good whack against something. I know our stores 2600 gph pumps have done the same thing to me, same with skimmer pumps too after being turned off. I just grab them and give them a firm thump on something and it has worked for me on over a dozen occasions.

altolamprologus
There was the Stealth pro recall but what was the second?

They recalled the heaters twice. The first one was just a few models (150-300 watt I believe) then the second recall was for all models

I'll pass on marineland stuff from now on. The first heater in my pico was a Marineland Stealth Pro 10 watt heater. Factory set to 78 degrees. And it held a steady 78 degrees for about 4 weeks through cycling my tank to introducing the first inhabitants.

Then one day I was watching one of my hermit crabs doing this crazy dance. Apparently it was the "Help me, I'm cooking!" dance. I thought it looked weird so I started running a test on all of the params only to find that the temperature was 90 degrees! So, I figured it must have been a fluke because I had seen some good reviews on the heater. I took it back to Petsmart and got a new one. I put the new one in, and the next day, the temperature was up to 85 degrees! Egad!

I replaced the Marineland heater with a Hydor 25 watt heater which kept the tank between 77 and 81 degrees... better but not consistent enough. Finally found the solution in a RKL hooked up to a Hydor 7.5 watt heater. Now it stays between 79.5 and 80 degrees.

Anyhow, the Marineland Stealth Pro 10 watt heater didn't come up as one of the recalled heaters, but I'm sure it probably used the same lousy thermostat.

I think at this point, I'd be recommending a RKL or other similar system as a must for a pico. I don't trust the cheap thermostat that most heaters come with these days.

That sucks your pump didn't start up but how is a pump failing to start back up gonna kill your livestock?. Just throw a HOB filter or powerhead you have laying around on and that should get you by til the new one arrives.

I have multiple marineland products including my tank and im happy with the quality on all of them. Anytime your dealing with electronics you take a chance of getting the bad one out of bunch. Good thing it failed while still under warranty. Good luck!

The oldest filter I've got is a marineland that's older I am, my dad used it on his discus tanks before I was born and I still use it on my Oscar tank to this day. 3 out 4 of my freshwater tanks use Marineland filters and I've had nothing but great luck with them. The 4th one uses an Eheim 2026 since it's in our bedroom and my fiance is an extremely light sleeper so I had to get the quietest filter I could find, but I've been less than impressed with the eheim because although it's rated for 90 gallons it has a hard time keeping up and I see alot of detritus that settles out on the bottom of the 60 gallon it's on.

well, i have been an electrician for well over a decade and i can say that electrical stuff fails from time to time. i have seen top of the line sony tv's be crap straight out of the box. i do not have a high opinion of marineland personally, but i cannot be pissed until i find a couple pieces that fail. it is just IMO when it comes to electric devices. people develop a preference based on what they have had success with. some people believe that crappy products are good based on their observation of the piece of crap they own. i hope it all turns out ok for you.

all the pumps in my tank uses the same brand pump as the OP posted and i have no complaints about it. starts up and works every time. lots of slow. and near silent. must be some defect in your pump. contact the manufacture and get a replacement

i wish we could see more "made in usa" stuff that it's worth something. This batch says made in Italy thou. take kessil US company, made in taiwan... :(

Expect to pay 2-3x as much for something made in the U.S.A. Cost vs. quality is usually the issue and without strict QC expect some faulty products esp. with electronics, like tinkerer said. That said, I'm glad I was out of the hobby when the stealth heater fiasco hit, but then again I've always been an Ebo-Jager type of guy, not that they didn't have their own issues, but they were few and far in between in my experience. Hope your new pump holds up better than the last.

Archived