SaltCritters.com

jcastle's picotope

jcastle

Generally pods don't eat healthy Zoas. It's possible that some became damaged or injured in shipping and the pods are just doing their janitorial duties. However, it's possible that you could have one of the less common pods that eat Zoas. That said, all of the info I could find regarding them was entirely anecdotal--as is most of the info regarding these type of things.

If something is eating your Zoas, it could be zoa eating nudibranchs? Did you do a freshwater or iodine dip on your new corals when you received them? New corals always seem to come with unwanted hitchhikers. Or you could have gotten some on your live rock.

All of my corals from time to time tweak out a little or scrunch up weird.

it's definitely not nudibranchs. hopefully they were dying and those little guys are helping. i forgot to dip the mr. coral order and i realized it after i put them in. the affected zoas came from the LFS but the little bugs are visible and they look like amphipods, they move really quick and i saw them on the dead zoas.. there are 3 out of the five i had. kinda bummed but i moved them and removed the plug and put them were i wanted them permanently so hopefully the survivors do ok and spread.

also the mushrooms that i tied down are splitting so that's pretty cool and hopefully i'll have 2 of each of them soon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

I'll admit, I'm not really up on Favias and Acans. I have a very small green favia brain coral in my pico, and it puts out tentacles, maybe 1/4" long at night and when I'm feeding anything. They can look fairly similar to me although they are different. I'd have to research them a little more. They're a nice addition to a pico.

I failed to freshwater dip one coral... Which led to flatworms, which became resistant to flatworm exit, which led to a juvenile sixline wrasse being temporarily added to my pico... Which led to me ordering a 10 gallon custom tank from Micro-reefs so I can keep my fish. It's a vicious circle. A sixline wrasse would eat your pods, but you would need to order a larger tank for it when you fall in love with it and can't bear to take it back to the LFS.

if it turns into a problem then i'll get one and start to plan the next tank lol, i got the frogspawn that will out grow the pico so i'll have to eventually

took some pictures! overall the tank is looking good and i'm pleased

post-70302-1325643258_thumb.jpg

post-70302-1325643294_thumb.jpg

post-70302-1325643308_thumb.jpg

couple more

Zoas not lookin good

post-70302-1325643370_thumb.jpg

porcelain crab raisin the roof

post-70302-1325643396_thumb.jpg

also, i just filled the 2.5 AIO i started...looks pretty cool...i'll post the thread in the pico section when i'm ready...i'm calling it, "My bedside Pico"

i kinda want to get another clown...i like them in pairs...but the tank is too small

i am planning on getting a bigger one by the end of 2012, a 26 truvu one...what do you guys think? should i get my little clown a buddy?

Oh no i'm keeping this little guy lol i like it too much but i want a bigger one in the future. i'm thinkin 20 long or a 26 gallon, frogspawn and clown will be the only things leaving the current tank.

i just feel bad for the little clown lol i think he wants a buddy haha

Oh no i'm keeping this little guy lol i like it too much but i want a bigger one in the future. i'm thinkin 20 long or a 26 gallon, frogspawn and clown will be the only things leaving the current tank.

i just feel bad for the little clown lol i think he wants a buddy haha

Good call on holding off. If you get a smaller one later it shouldn't be an issue. It will become the male.

I love the tank, but seeing that clown in there is sad. They're very active fish and need plenty of room. I'd upgrade to a larger tank as soon as possible.

Also, it's cool to see someone somewhat local. I'm going to school in cleveland, so you're not too far from me.

Also, it's cool to see someone somewhat local. I'm going to school in cleveland, so you're not too far from me.

what's your opinion on RMS aquaculture in middleburge?

have you ever been to aquatic technologies in columbia station a little west of strongsville?

what's your opinion on RMS aquaculture in middleburge?

have you ever been to aquatic technologies in columbia station a little west of strongsville?

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help with stores, as I'm from Jacksonville, FL, and finally moving getting a tank started up there, so I don't know the LFS at all. I'll be looking to pick up a goby in under a month so wherever I go I'll let you know if it was good/what my thoughts are.

I know it's bad, but I'm a huge fan of online shopping. I get the whole "keep it local" mentality, but honestly I'm not going to pay $20 more for the exact same thing. As a result, I think my first coral purchase for my new tank will be a big one from mr.coral or another online site.

That, and the stores I've seen (in jacksonville anyway), tend to rarely have smaller pieces, and if they do they're overpriced. Smaller pieces are obviously what we need for nano-reefing, go figure.

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help with stores, as I'm from Jacksonville, FL, and finally moving getting a tank started up there, so I don't know the LFS at all. I'll be looking to pick up a goby in under a month so wherever I go I'll let you know if it was good/what my thoughts are.

I know it's bad, but I'm a huge fan of online shopping. I get the whole "keep it local" mentality, but honestly I'm not going to pay $20 more for the exact same thing. As a result, I think my first coral purchase for my new tank will be a big one from mr.coral or another online site.

That, and the stores I've seen (in jacksonville anyway), tend to rarely have smaller pieces, and if they do they're overpriced. Smaller pieces are obviously what we need for nano-reefing, go figure.

RMS doesn't have much to offer with coral but they have a decent selection of fish, and their fish do look good. the only problem i've seen there is that their tanks look really dirty and they is hair and bubble algae everywhere lol but they are going through a cleaning regimin right now where they are cleaning the tanks and hopefully it'll look much better.

aquatic technologies IMO is an awesome little store. he focuses more on coral then fish and he's got some really cool stuff in his shop. he even started doing frags in his front room, which is a green house looking room that you enter in, it's really cool but he's a little expensive although his corals seem to me to be very nice. i bought frogspawn, zoas, and a mushroom from him and they are great.

when you get the time i'd recommend to you to check both places out

and of course today i went to feed my clown only to find that somehow he jumped out...i've never heard of a clown jumping tank....i've even had a pair of clowns in a open top 10 gallon for a couple years and they never jumped...i guess i shouldn't have put him in such a small tank and now i feel terrible :tears:

so the 2.5 gallon tank was fun to build but i dont think i'll enjoy it as much at the 3 gallon pico...in other news...lol....i'm going to start a 20 long minimalist tank in the next couple months

Islandoftiki
so the 2.5 gallon tank was fun to build but i dont think i'll enjoy it as much at the 3 gallon pico...in other news...lol....i'm going to start a 20 long minimalist tank in the next couple months

Now we're talkin'

My 10 gallon micro-reefs tank should be here in a couple weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to move all of the stuff from the 2 gallon into the 10 or not. I'm not sure if I really want to deal with two tanks, even though the 2 gallon is really not much work. I should probably keep it going.

What sort of filtration are you thinking for the 20? I'm using a modified AC70 HOB as a filter/fuge for the 10 gallon. I'm gonna throw in a Vortech MP10 in it as well for circulation--it was expensive, but it's hands down the best powerhead on the market for a small tank.

What sort of filtration are you thinking for the 20? I'm using a modified AC70 HOB as a filter/fuge for the 10 gallon. I'm gonna throw in a Vortech MP10 in it as well for circulation--it was expensive, but it's hands down the best powerhead on the market for a small tank.

I decided to use the 15 gallon i had a bearded dragon in instead of the 20 long...i have two 20 long tanks but i don't want to use those in case i decide to get a snake or two again lol but i have a aquaclear 50 that i'm going to use and a hydro koralia power head. 20 lbs of live sand and probably 10 lbs of live rock. i'm going for a minimalistic look for this one, for me it's more ascetically appealing. i'll probably keep the pico going but i might decide sometime to merge the two tanks. i have basically everything i need to start the 15 so hopefully i'll have the time to get it rolling soon. i'm also going to have to re-silicone the tank but that's ok i have plenty to use

I love longs tanks! Post a link to the new thread when you start it. I'll follow along.

I just got notice that my new custom 24" x 10" x 10" tank from Micro-Reefs has shipped! Well ahead of schedule. I can't wait to see it!

can't wait to see it. i put the live sand in and i'm filling the tank now, just going to take a while because i have 2 six gallon buckets, one for fresh water and one for mixed SW so it'll take me a while to get it filled haha

Archived