Top Shelf Aquatics

The SPS Cube w/Acans!

Spencer7

Then I will push you off the fence >:^)

Oh and my tank is perfect, everything is perfect. cept this ugly brown acro that has STN and is dyingg prolly because of low alk and stuff like that

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then I will push you off the fence >:^)

Oh and my tank is perfect, everything is perfect. cept this ugly brown acro that has STN and is dyingg prolly because of low alk and stuff like that

Reef crystals has REALLY high alk (~15). Mix some of that in with your mix and watch 'em grow!

• 3 weeks later...

It's late so this will be a quick update, I just got back from my 3 week trip earlier tonight

Barely any algae, disgusting filter sock, black skimmate, salinity is a little low but water level is perfect

All equiptment worked perfectly as planned. I found 3 more vermetid snails all decent size and doing some acro damage. My one hermit killed a turbo for a new shell :P

My favorite coral, the new Turqoise Acro (what is real name?) was mostly bleached but I salvaged a few pieces, one barnacle blenny is gone, possibly wrasse killed it or anemone (also didn't look too hard)...

Otherwise all other SPS has shown noticable growth! Zoa's and acans are doing wonderfully. I am overall happy, the turqoise piece was new and had a little bleach before I left so I can't point fingers. My Mille remains partially bleached where light does not reach it. I will continue to talk about negative things and take pics of the positives. A LOT OF JUNK WILL BE HAPPENING THIS WEEK to kick off my last week of summer and spend off a few digits $$$ plus August FTS and possibly some new fish

Test Results August 21st

PO4---0

NO3---0

KH---9

CA---430

Temp---78

Salinity---1.023

Dosing about 20 ml's a week of Calcium and Alkalinity

Love the new fts spencer...the scape is awesome

Quick question i noticed in some of your pics your SPS were suffering from STN....were you able to save them?

Thank you so much Rehype, respect B)

I've never had a coral die overnight, all acro deaths have been slow and painful (to watch)

I've probably have had 10 corals (including frags) in this tank bleach in the time i've had it. A lot of times I am able to frag a healthy chunk and grow it, by then the fluaction or problem has been indentified and solved. Right now my pink Mille is the only dying SPS (STN) , and that's been happening for like 3 months due to unknowing causes. I've had my acans destroy corals, then rehab those back to life or at least stall the STN.

Best bet it to always frag a healthy portion, in case you have a parasite, bug, or disease...

Over time I've accumulated a collection of intersting corals that grow and maintain color. If not I have the luxury to do my normal 10 min bike ride to the store and return/swap the coral no Q's asked. I grow the colonies at my frag tank in store then take pices of the best looking ones (always leave mother colony) it's hit or miss and I found that %10-15 struggle while the rest do great. Although the turqoise colony was one of my favorite corals it was also new and had a tiny amount of STN, it was only a week old when i left, plus was the only coral that died. Might be getting a 1" Sea Swirl and upgrade my return pump to something like a Mag 7 (will take suggestions). What do y'all think?

New Fish --> Candy Hog

Removed Cards (to make room for a school of somekind)

I fragged the Milli to stop the STN, will find some cool SPS to fill the space in the meantime!

file-40.jpg

file-39.jpg

file-38.jpg

file-36.jpg

file-35.jpg

file-34.jpg

file-33.jpg

file-31.jpg

file-29.jpg

file-26.jpg

file-25.jpg

file-24.jpg

file-21.jpg

file-17.jpg

A few days...

file-16.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-41.jpg

Very nice pics Spencer. You have a lot of really nice corals.

Hey Spence, great pics! I don't think I've ever seen or heard of zoas growing next to acans!

I've had a couple of colonies of acans next to my eagle eyes for about a week, the zoas seem none too happy, I wonder if they are getting hit by sweepers... Hmmmm

The original combo was like 20 heads on one side of a rock (6" by 4") and a 1-2 inches away was a colony of orange eagle eyes. I was going to buy the hole piece but it got sold, then days later I found a 3 head frag with 2 zoas on it (now like 10 heads and 20 polyps).

I am at cross roads with my tank, thinking about long term stuff and so on (tank, scape, corals, fish, etc.) I don't wanna be the impatient reefer who has a tank for months just to completely re vemp it and change everything. I wanna mature the tank but have some cool rennovation ideas. I have a lot of money invested in a secret project ($1000+) and it depends on that.

My yellow/green Acro that was uber encrusted and at the center of my tank died over night. I immediately checked parameters, water change, clean sock and skimmer, etc. Everything was fine and normal. My two guesses are either temp/sal fluctuations (78-82?) or my oxypora which has been sending out stinging tantacles longer than its body (1"+ easy). It is depressing but I will move on.

One coral had rose to the occasion and could be my new fav. It has a mainly grayish body (tiny hint of baby blue) with bright violet polyps. One branch got oxy stung but I broke it off and I think I stopped the spreading. Very happy with skimmer, lights are good. I have never used MH and would be sooooo tempted, the growth with them looks ridiculous, the problem is heat :P Well there's my long week discussion. Thanks for all the comments and support, school is depressing and has put me into a lull. I get to work and play ball this weekend though :D ORIOLES ARE DOING AMAZING! Mark Reynolds! Adam Jones! And of course MATT WIETERS!!! Too bad I couldn't sit at Boo's and watch the O's destroy the Yankees tongiht with 6 homers :P Auf wiedersehen und danke schon

• 3 weeks later...

Archived