Pod Your Reef

Rural Walmart Reef

moblues

The second most boring FTS ever :mellow: I'm starting to get some algae and diatoms, next month there may be multicellular life.

:happy: Looks like a nice start.

• 3 weeks later...

It is awesome so far! I got it just before the weather turned foul here, so I'm not hauling water jugs home from work in the the snow. I think it's going to end up being a tad expensive to use year round though, the DI resin is already changing color after making about 25 gallons.

In other tiny town news, I'll probably be adding the first half of my CUC this weekend: 1 astrea snail. The second half will be added after I can catch the little jack*ss...

Pretty cool you saved that old rock and reused it again. I have a piece of rock in my 40 breeder that was from my 20 gallon high nano reef from more than 15 years ago.

Yep, our rocks are older than a fair chunk of the people on here. I'm not sure if that makes us vintage, classic, or just old :lol: Your 40 is awesome btw, excellent critter/pics!

the DI resin is already changing color after making about 25 gallons.

As long as your TDS is zero then you should be good no matter what the color is. :)

At least that is what I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the algae action shot! I was going to wait until the snail was visible, but he's been hanging out on a patch of GHA in the back and I didn't want to disturb him.

cb9051c1.jpg

@nickjqz- I live in the land of phosphates and silicates. The mega units at work go through distillation followed by RO then double DI. This gets it down to about .2 ppm, the remainder of which turns into red slime if allowed to fester...Rowa phos is my hero :lol:

@metrokat- You've discovered my plot to hide the scratches with algae and crappy pics!

The scratches on this thing are awful though. I've been using a little bit of filter floss to clean the plastic, hopefully that will keep it from getting worse.

In other tiny town news, I should be adding some softies this weekend :happydance:

• 3 weeks later...

Tiny town update! I've added clove polyps, zoas (no clue, will be the zany zoas henceforth,) palythoas ( light pink and currently closed up pouting,) and an itty bitty leather. Looking for a bit of the short stalk pulsing Xenia, happy to pay shipping. I know this breaks the parameters set out in the beginning, but i doubt I'll be able to get it otherwise. Pics in the morning!

CORALS!!! omgomgomg

57a4fc87.jpg

Craigslist Score! 25 bucks and I've got about half of the critters I plan on adding. I'm letting the little guys get settled and then its off the plugs and onto the rocks. The palys are not very happy, they seem to either stretch like crazy when lowered an inch and squish down like they are getting too much light in their current position. Hmph. Mr. snail is slowly catching up with the algae, which is good since I haven't seen oz the emerald crab in my big tank for weeks.

I've added an ecopico led for moonlight and a heater, otherwise it's all stock. The leds were a potential upgrade, but I really don't like the lack of color, so it's just running an actinic strip. That was a bummer since I was considering swapping out my metal halide for a sol at the next bulb change. I suspect that the newer full spectrum units might look better/more "natural" but they are a bit out of my price range atm.

Archived