Cultivated Reef

Stingray's Cube...revisited

Stingray

DitchPlains

Thanks for the compliment. To install the CSL 32 watt retrofit kit, its very simple, you don't even need to unhinge the hood. What I did I posted on my thread here's the link, just scroll down I know I outlined it it somewhere.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=1

I'm also planning on adding a full 96 watts to the tank...here's the link for my second thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...1692#post241692

As far as media goes, I would suggest using Purigen and definately ditching those nitrate factory sponges. but thats me. The back can become very stagnent so placing a small pump back there can help too. Ok take care and good luck. 8)

DitchPlains

sorry stingray, I just was showing tweaked tanks can look just as good as stock, no trying to steal your thunder, your tank is amazing.

JLTRUK I said tweaker not tweak from SP...lol taker care;)

...against what everyone suggests, yes.

Ceramic rings, bio-balls and sponges can work. Just make sure to rinse it out every week when you do your partial water changes. Shake it in the old water, and all of the crud comes off.

Originally posted by Stingray

A completely stock JBJ Nano Cube

False Percula

Firefish

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

3 Turbo snails

3 Astrea snails

Sun Coral

Long Tentacle Plate

Red Mushrooms

Purple Hairy Mushroom

Green Polyp Colony

Colt Coral

Open Brain

Branching Hammer

Flower Pot

Pipe Organ

WOWOWOW!!! Incredible job!!

No heater either? How long do you leave the light on for?

Matt

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give this one a little bump. I am setting up my 12 g nano now with 13 lbs of aragonite sand and RO water. I want to get water temp, specific gravity, etc stable before adding live rock. I am in such a quandry about the stock filtration objects (bioballs, ceramic rings, carbon, sponges). I have avidly searched these forums, and I just can't seem to find any agreement on the subject. While Stingray has obviously accomplished an amazing tank with stock components, would everyone more or less agree that partially filling the back compartments with LR for biological filtration would be a slightly superior method? I guess that it makes more sense to me, but what the hell would I know? Could it possibly cut down on the amount and/or frequency of water changes?

Take it easy on me. My experience with aquariums is 12 hours and counting! I am reading through Tullock's book now on Natural Reef Aquariums

I plan on taking things very slowly versus following my LFS's advice. They seem very good; but it seems they are advocating a much quicker setup time compared with what I am reading here and in my book. Give it to me, guys!

stingray best thread ever !: ive been reading so much about everyone modifying there nanos and its nice to see you are successful without doing that. im surprised your able to grow all those corals under the 24wts. i just added 32wt actinic to my stock lighting and cooling fans but teh fans did not seen to bring donw temp at all . anyway grear tank, how often do you feed?

I moved all of my corals over to a 75 gallon which I converted from a FW Stingray tank that I had up and running for a couple of years.

I sold my Nano-Cube to a friend and now he's hooked on corals. It's cool to see someone else get excited about a new hobby.

He'll probably end up with a huge SPS tank in a few months and blame me for his financial ruin.

wow... your 75g looks as incredible as your recent nano-cube. sad to see it go... it was one of the first tanks that got me interested in this hobby :(

yeah stingray that nano cube was really inspiring!

out of interest how long was it running for before you changed to the bigger tank? and did any of the stock cube features end up being a hassle? my cube is mostly stock, and just curious to know how it worked out...

Originally posted by newbiecarlz

yeah stingray that nano cube was really inspiring!  

out of interest how long was it running for before you changed to the bigger tank?  and did any of the stock cube features end up being a hassle?  my cube is mostly stock, and just curious to know how it worked out...

It was up and running from February until August.

I had a little hair algae and cyano problems towards the end, but I think it was because I started slacking on the water changes.

There was no hassle, just clean the sponge and bioballs, and replace the carbon and water.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all to mod the cube. I didn't, just to prove that you could keep it stock. People were arguing that it couldn't remain stock and that it was a waste of money because you had to replace the powerhead...add lights...and whatever. You don't.

I got a flare nozzle for a couple of bucks, just to see if it would help liquify the crud that floats on the surface. Maybe that's considered modding, but it's not like cutting out teeth for an overflow or gluing something to the intake, or adding lights, fans etc. etc.

Still, that is cool too. I just didn't bother.

The corals I chose were fine for those 7 months. Obviously they are really taking off with the 500 watts of Metal Halide that they are in.

The Cube was for my desk at the office, and it does a great job of that, being completely stock.

Hey stingray, I was thinking of getting a firefish for my tank but the only thing that concerns me is that I heard that they are jumpers. Meaning they try to jump out the tank. Have you noticed this in your firefish?

Originally posted by Cesar

Hey stingray, I was thinking of getting a firefish for my tank but the only thing that concerns me is that I heard that they are jumpers. Meaning they try to jump out the tank. Have you noticed this in your firefish?

They do jump. Mine jumped straight up in the air once and luckily, right back into the tank.

I startled it, and it startled me.

Keep an eye on it if you get one. Also, they seem to like to hide too.

Archived