ReefCleaners.org

45g Long and Shallow

snookman03

Well I thought I was going to test out this system over the weekend but when I put the tank on top of the stand I noticed a small gap between the tank and stand in one corner!!! Not a big deal, I am going to put a piece of plywood on top of the stand and shim the top. Anyway, here are a couple of new pics.

I am pretty sure I have everything I need for the plumbing so things should be moving along.

2011-12-17120744.jpg

2011-12-17120756.jpg

2011-12-17120811.jpg

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good suggestion for a fish,YWG and randalls shrimp pair :D

That is a great suggestion. Do you think it would be ok to keep the shrimp with a 1" sandbed? If so I will totally get the pair.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

Been really busy working on our house and will be moving in next weekend. This means I will be able to work on the tank more and get some water in it. Today I framed out the canopy that will house the par 38s. I made the frame out of 2x2's and will be covering it with rough cut stained cedar to match the beams on the cieling. For the bulbs I picked up some adjustable plastic sockets, these will allow me to point the lights where I want. Pics to follow soon...

Thanks Jr.

Well tomorrow is the big move in day. It will be great to work on the house and live there instead of working on the house and driving back to my parents house where we are staying. I will be able to get alot more done-especially with this tank which NEEDS to be set up ASAP!!!

I am going to make some saltwater and start to cycle my dry rock in a rubbermaid, I should have been doing this for months!!!

I know that I will be using bio pellets on this tank. Now should I buy the BRS reactor or go with the Reef Octopus?

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am off of work tomorrow I am dedicating the whole day to this tank build. Yesterday, I finished leveling the top of my stand with about 25shims lol. Tomorrow I hope to get the system plumbed and do a leak test. I would also love to get my light canopy for the par 38's finished up as well. I cant wait to get started in the morning

Well I FINALLY got the tank WET!!! I had a very productive day...

Sump is plumbed and leak test went great

2012-01-16121036.jpg

2012-01-16121021.jpg

2012-01-16121004.jpg

I added some cheap storage bins and hung the powerstrip.

2012-01-16101713.jpg

Glued everything up and...WATER

2012-01-16125938.jpg

Then I built the hanging canopy that will hide the 4 PAR 38 lamps. I bought some metal conduit, still need to bend them to make the canopy hanger.

2012-01-16162008.jpg

Last but not least I figured WTH and threw some rocks in. I am happy with the right side but need some feedback about the left.

2012-01-16161652.jpg

2012-01-16161817.jpg

I am hoping to get some help tonight and bring the stand inside. Tomorrow I am hunting in the morning and if I dont kill something I would love to start making some RODI and fill this bad boy up. After that the only thing left to do is to trim out the stand.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Thanks Joel it's been hard to look at this tank in the garage for so long but finally the day has come lol.

I can't wait either captain!

Thanks Criley still not done with the scape yet, I threw those rocks in pretty quickly they need to be adjusted a bit lol.

Thanks fote and key. I need to make some changes to my standpipe, it is making a loud

Sloshing noise. It seems many have had success with the stockman pipe, going to give it a try since the noise is annoying!

Thanks fote and key. I need to make some changes to my standpipe, it is making a loud

Sloshing noise. It seems many have had success with the stockman pipe, going to give it a try since the noise is annoying!

Look up "hoffer gurgle buster". You can try it out and see how well it works. I have used it in the past with great results. If you don't like it, well you are only out 3 bucks.

Nice looking build. Lagoons tanks are nice.

Socal,

Thanks for the info and compliment, I will have to give it a try for only $3 lol. I couldnt believe how loud the standpipe is!

Thanks Bear, I am excited as well. I still have to add trim to the stand, mount my hanging canopy, install and wire up the sockets for the LED bulbs then fill it up with some rodi. Which reminds me, I should start making water tonight lol.

Thanks for looking :)

Subscribed. Cant wait to see where this goes. The setup is kind of what i want to do with my next build.

Thanks Bracer,

What size tank are you going to set up?

Just measured where I should hang the LED bulbs, hopefully I will get the canopy hung and the lights installed this weekend. After seeing one Rapid LED par 38 over this tank I think 4 will work out perfect. If I need to I will get some CREE'S and DIY a strip of royal blues in the canopy. My plan is to have salt in the tank sometime this weekend-hopefully!

Last night I flushed my new BRS 75GPD RODI. I have a well ant the pressure fluctuates between 35 and 50 depending on when the pump turns on. While the pressure is high the pure water output flows at a decent rate but when it drops down to 35 man is it slow. I am against spending $100-$200 on a booster pump so I guess I will deal with it lol. Going to start filling my Brute trash can tonight and hopefully start filling the tank this weekend, that is if I can make about 65 gallons of water by Sunday night LOL.

Archived