Coral Vue Hydros

45g Long and Shallow

snookman03

glad to hear the return quieted down. I'm not sure about your problems with the overflow into the sump. In my setup I have a roughly 5inch piece of pvc that goes from a 45-elbow into a filter sock and goes an inch or two under the water level in the sump and i have no problems with noise. Now from what i understand this sounds similar to your configuration???

almost identical to mine. I may have to make the hole on the top of the stand pipe a little bigger. If that doesnt work im going to use the ball valve on my drain to create a full siphon. I will use the return bulkhead for an emergency drain n run the return plumbing over the back. Thanks alot for the tubing suggestion it worked great!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya of course, i hope you can figure out your overflow noise problems. Noise is something that really can be hard to overcome with our tanks. I have all sorts of 3/4" foam on the back of my 60cube stand to keep as much sound from escaping sump as possible. My 60 cube is the first tank i've had with a sump so i didn't look too much into the specifics of different overflow drains types. If i was ever to build another big tank i would definitely try something like the silent herbie overflow.

ya of course, i hope you can figure out your overflow noise problems. Noise is something that really can be hard to overcome with our tanks. I have all sorts of 3/4" foam on the back of my 60cube stand to keep as much sound from escaping sump as possible. My 60 cube is the first tank i've had with a sump so i didn't look too much into the specifics of different overflow drains types. If i was ever to build another big tank i would definitely try something like the silent herbie overflow.

+ one on the foam. i have an opening on the back of the stand so i covered it up with foam.

I have been dosing Microbacter7 everyday for almost 2 weeks. I need to get my test kit out and test the water. I also need to wire up my light canopy and take some pics!

Since I took my filter sock off yesterday the tank is a bit cloudy, any suggestionn?

Love the dimension and that rockscape. Subscribed! Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks Scuba,

I cant wait to see where it goes either LOL.

Jacob,

I know I will transfer my clown over from my 5.5gal. I was going to keep a small school of green chromis but have been reading that they will eventually kill each other. I plan on getting a couple of bangaii cardinals and some sort of anthias.

As for corals, I am going heavy on acans, zoas and sps. A clam and nem will be thrown into the mix as well.

Tyty,

I took it off because it was getting clogged, I cleaned it after work and I am going to put it back on. A lot of reefers only run the socks to polish the water then take them off. I think silt in my sump was stirred up when I took the filter sock off...

gotcha mine is my main mechanical filtration. I have four socks that i rotate through and I clean them once three are dirty that way i always have one filtering

I take out my socks every few days and put a clean onein. I have a little too much particulate floating around without it.

+1 one the anthias idea. I want one but all the lfs around me charge way too much for them

Tyty,

4 socks would be ideal I will pick up 2 more this weekend thanks for the idea.

Lee,

Anthias' range from about $25-$40 around me so not too bad. I will be changing them out, I put a clean one on this morning and rinsed out the dirty one. It got really clogged after I changed out my sand.

I think I am going to add a T5 retro into my lighting canopy from the start. I will go with 2 36in bulbs I just need suggestions on what bulbs I should run with the Rapid LED par 38s.

I have made my mind up. Tonight I am going to order the HelloLights 2x36" t5 retro kit for $100.00. For bulbs I think I am going with one ATI blue plus and one ATI Purple plus. Now I just need to see if I will need to build a new canopy to fit the t5's.

I have made my mind up. Tonight I am going to order the HelloLights 2x36" t5 retro kit for $100.00. For bulbs I think I am going with one ATI blue plus and one ATI Purple plus. Now I just need to see if I will need to build a new canopy to fit the t5's.

I was thinking about doing this too! When I upgrade to my 4ft 60 gallon. Keep us updated on how you like it. :)

I was thinking about doing this too! When I upgrade to my 4ft 60 gallon. Keep us updated on how you like it. :)

I will def. post some pics of the setup once I am finished. I need to get started on wiring the PAR bulb sockets in the canopy so when the t5's come I can install them and get some light over the tank.

Does my t-5 bulb combo sound ok?

I will def. post some pics of the setup once I am finished. I need to get started on wiring the PAR bulb sockets in the canopy so when the t5's come I can install them and get some light over the tank.

Hahahaha honestly you are asking the wrong guy, you are asking the guy who has only ever used leds and before that had freshwater tanks with cfls and 6500k t-8's. I am sure someone can comment on the combo though. :)

It sounds good. It should provide some spectrum in the 420 nm and 600+ nm range where your PAR bulbs will not.

That sounds good, that retrofit sounds like a good deal for a $100.

By the way, for the filter socks i put mine in the washer with some bleach and they come out completely clean, That being said we just replaced our top loaded with a front load washer and it doesn't work nearly as well.

Another thing i changed my filter socks last night and i noticed i lied to you when i said my return pipe goes under the water level in the sump. It actually sits about 1/2inch above the water. if you're still having noise issues and air seems to be the culprit, you might try that.

Thanks Paleo, thats exactly what I was thinking, just wanted a 2nd opinion.

Ty,

Good idea on the washer. I unfortunately have a frontloader also, that damn thing SMELLS if I dont leave the door open to dry out after a wash lol.

Thats ok about the pipe. I am eventually going to run the return over the back of the tank and use the drilled return hole for an emergency overflow drain. This will let me use my ball valve on the main drain to create a silent full siphon. Thanks for the help :)

Ya can't argue with that, silent is definitely the way to go. You gotta get some pictures of the lights and canopy up when its together I'm in what it looks like. Your tank has honestly given me the itch to set up another one, i've been looking at the 12gallon mr aqua tank.

I bought a white towel to wash with my filter socks hopefully it adds some more agitation to wash them better.

Ya can't argue with that, silent is definitely the way to go. You gotta get some pictures of the lights and canopy up when its together I'm in what it looks like. Your tank has honestly given me the itch to set up another one, i've been looking at the 12gallon mr aqua tank.

I bought a white towel to wash with my filter socks hopefully it adds some more agitation to wash them better.

I will post some pics during The light setup build...lol those mr aqua tanks are nice. Hope the towel worked for you.

Just ordered a 2x36" t5 retrofit kit from hello lights. When the kit arrives I will get to work on my lighting. I need to see how much room the t5 kit will take up, then I will mount the par 38 bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got started on my light setup...pics!!!

2012-02-22192643.jpg

I need to add some wood to anchor the t5reflectors and end caps to...wish I thought of adding the t5s while I was building the canopy lol

2012-02-22195357.jpg

2012-02-22195426.jpg

All is well with the tank, it will be up and running for one month in a couple of days! Just tested the water and got zeros across the board. I am going to add some food then test again since the only thing I have added to the tank is microbacter7 and about 3lbs of live rock. Let me know what you think of my light setup.

Archived