inTank Media Baskets

Ai Nano mount on a Biocube 29 Hqi (pics)

Naturalreef

Bymers- I already purchased the hydor slim skim...I have to trim the first chamber a bit, but it should fit:) thanks for the suggestion and comments! Post some pics of your setup when able.

I was soooo close to buying the hydor skimmer but got an aquatic life mini for 40$ off the classifieds. Let me know how it works out for you I may switch if it performs better. I was under the impression just a little cut to the back trim of the back wall and it fits no problem. Does it have suction cups or a bracket to adjust for water level?

THANKS so much for the pics was really wondering about this when I bought the AI Nano which still is en route. My chambers are def different in the back since its a standard BC29. You think if I just reinforce the false wall with a small piece of plastic by adding a "support beam" from front to back and then adding some thickness with plastic acrylic pieces to the false wall where it attaches I would be good to go? Same idea right?

Thanks again for the pics great DIY

I just finished filling the tank, adding salt and new Pukani dry rock from BRS which was another good buy and played around with the controller for the last hour:) more pics in the morning

I guess great minds think alike I used BRS pukani rock too and with the AI Nano we are on the same page. Did you order too much rock? I did. 30 lbs was a giant box full.

Heres my scape and rimless cube while the tank is cycling

2qvdpip.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was soooo close to buying the hydor skimmer but got an aquatic life mini for 40$ off the classifieds. Let me know how it works out for you I may switch if it performs better. I was under the impression just a little cut to the back trim of the back wall and it fits no problem. Does it have suction cups or a bracket to adjust for water level?

THANKS so much for the pics was really wondering about this when I bought the AI Nano which still is en route. My chambers are def different in the back since its a standard BC29. You think if I just reinforce the false wall with a small piece of plastic by adding a "support beam" from front to back and then adding some thickness with plastic acrylic pieces to the false wall where it attaches I would be good to go? Same idea right?

Thanks again for the pics great DIY

I guess great minds think alike I used BRS pukani rock too and with the AI Nano we are on the same page. Did you order too much rock? I did. 30 lbs was a giant box full.

Heres my scape and rimless cube while the tank is cycling

2qvdpip.jpg

Hey jdk,

I am also under the same impression that I just need a small cut on the back lip to fit the hydor. I'll keep you posted.

I think the bracing would totally work for you. The nano only weighs 2 lbs, so I would use some thicker acrylic/ plastic and cut it to length of the middle chamber and silicone in place with 2 pieces of rod braced in between out of the way of any equipment. Make sure you double up the plastic where the ai bracket will mount to fill the void. Please post pics of your work in progress when everything arrives! My pleasure posting pics.... This is a cool and addictive hobby and what a great site to help one another out.

I ordered 18 # which was way too much rock, but I'll use it down the road. Sweet scaping and tank btw

I added Instant Ocean Bio Spira last night to start the cycle with the Pukani Dry Rock and the tank was cloudy this morning from a bacterial bloom. Even though I rinsed the rock, there was some dead material on it which was fine as that helped start the cycle. I also added a pinch of pellet food.

The nitrite was up to 3 tonight which means the process has started. I'll try to post some pics of the scape when the tank is less cloudy. Post some pics when you guys can!

Will be doing the build this week. Basically my idea is this...... I have clear acrylic rod and clear mesh from BRS. I am gonna make a template of the inside of the tank. Basically an outline of the curve and sides and back of the tank using stiff cardboard. The acrylic is 1/2 inch thick so that needs to be subtracted from the dimensions of the template all the way around so the formed rod will fit on the inside rim of the tank. Then I am going to stack multiple pieces of cardboard in the same outline on top of one another until they are 2 inches thick maybe more maybe less idk.

Glue them or tape them together so it is one piece. Then to form the acrylic rod I will heat it up with either a hairdryer or heat gun and it should mold to the outline using gravity as my friend (for the curved part). The straight 90 degree corners Im pretty sure I can just measure and bend by hand while heating.

I then plan to use clear plastic tabs probably will need 4 of them. They will be fastened to the inside rim of the tank with clear silicone so the acrylic rod frame can sit on top of them. The mesh I will then curl over the rod to the underside of the frame where I will superglue it all the way around.

At least this is how it all plays out in my mind..... We will see. The main Idea is that I hate the idea of a rimless tank with a mesh cover that is made out of black window screen frame. The whole purpose of rimless is for clear lines. This was my idea to solve that problem.

Hope that helps, will post pics once I start the project.

I am very interested in seeing how this turns out. The only reason I left my rim on so far is because I am going to add a screen top. I like the looks of rimless, but never wanted to do it myself because I was worried about jumpers. So, maybe you can convince me to take my rim off!

@Naturalreef- Glad to hear your cycle is coming along. Thanks again for all the pics and help!

So, maybe you can convince me to take my rim off

I will try! Acrylic rod came yesterday. Gonna build a template in the coming days and borrow a heat gun from a friend. The only thing left to pick up is something to hold the mesh/acrylic rod top on. Thinking some kind of 90 degree angle clear plastic L's. If not I am think I can cut little pieces off the rod which is clear maybe a 1/4" long and use those as supports for the DIY mesh top. I want everything to be clear otherwise I feel the rimless look was pointless. Will keep you updated

Shot a small video of the Biocube cycling with Pukani dry rock. It's almost done with the cycle and I purchased some Coral rx to start transferring corals slowly next week. The iphone doesn't display the true colors of the led's so I apologize. The intensity of the Nano is incredible with beautiful shimmer lines. I have the colors at 25/45/65 and it puts out a light purple/bluish color. The white XM-L's are pretty impressive because at 25 they are pretty dominant.

qualitycontrol

I am just curious if 10 LED's will be enough light for this tank. Most people are putting upwards of 24 LED's onto a heatsink for the BC29. Anyone have any experience with a 20X20 cube and the nano?

Shot a small video of the Biocube cycling with Pukani dry rock. It's almost done with the cycle and I purchased some Coral rx to start transferring corals slowly next week. The iphone doesn't display the true colors of the led's so I apologize. The intensity of the Nano is incredible with beautiful shimmer lines. I have the colors at 25/45/65 and it puts out a light purple/bluish color. The white XM-L's are pretty impressive because at 25 they are pretty dominant.

The nano has plenty and I mean plenty of power for a BC 29. AI ran a Nano over a 55 gallon tall with full coverage and excellent growth on a mixed reef. Having the Nano for the last month and seeing it in action on my BC 29, I am thrilled with it and have no doubt it will do the job. I'll report back after I swap everything over from my JBJ 28 led.

I am just curious if 10 LED's will be enough light for this tank. Most people are putting upwards of 24 LED's onto a heatsink for the BC29. Anyone have any experience with a 20X20 cube and the nano?
qualitycontrol

I am actually in talks with a lfs to sell me the bc29 hqi without the hqi light so I can buy the nano. Hope I get a good price. Is there a difference in the layout between a regular bc29 and the hqi or is it just te lid. Can I buy a regular bc29 and add the top separate??

The nano has plenty and I mean plenty of power for a BC 29. AI ran a Nano over a 55 gallon tall with full coverage and excellent growth on a mixed reef. Having the Nano for the last month and seeing it in action on my BC 29, I am thrilled with it and have no doubt it will do the job. I'll report back after I swap everything over from my JBJ 28 led.

It is def. a different layout in the dimensions. The hqi version has a nice glass lid and the 2 back lid compartments have more room to fit skimmers and such. The hqi version is manufactured with a different layout in the plastic molding, so no similarities to the regular version as far as swapping parts. hth

I am actually in talks with a lfs to sell me the bc29 hqi without the hqi light so I can buy the nano. Hope I get a good price. Is there a difference in the layout between a regular bc29 and the hqi or is it just te lid. Can I buy a regular bc29 and add the top separate??

Just a few more pics of installing my New Hydor Slim Skim in chamber 1. Thanks to StevieT for the tip of heating a knife to remove the plastic lip. I like the Hydor so far as far as build quality goes and I also like the design of the collection cup. Very easy to adjust, remove and clean. The Hydor also fits neatly under the back lid with room to adjust the cup up for dryer skim mate. I do have micro bubbles for the last hour and I assume it's still breaking in.

photo-33.jpg

photo-22.jpg

photo-12.jpg

qualitycontrol

Keep us posted. I am going to look at an HQI this weekend. I found one for $500 with livestock and everything. Problem is, he has two blue tangs in there which is far to small for them. They will be sold ASAP if I end up with the tank.

Just a few more pics of installing my New Hydor Slim Skim in chamber 1. Thanks to StevieT for the tip of heating a knife to remove the plastic lip. I like the Hydor so far as far as build quality goes and I also like the design of the collection cup. Very easy to adjust, remove and clean. The Hydor also fits neatly under the back lid with room to adjust the cup up for dryer skim mate. I do have micro bubbles for the last hour and I assume it's still breaking in.

photo-33.jpg

photo-22.jpg

photo-12.jpg

Thanks, will do. Good luck with the tank, hope it works out! If it does, post pics when you can.

Keep us posted. I am going to look at an HQI this weekend. I found one for $500 with livestock and everything. Problem is, he has two blue tangs in there which is far to small for them. They will be sold ASAP if I end up with the tank.
  • 2 weeks later...

just a minor update, everything is doing very well and am very happy with the AI nano. Everyone that comes over to the house makes a comment how beautiful the lighting is. I also love how quiet the hydor slim skim is and how much gunk it pulls out. Here is a small walk around of the tank on youtube:

Biocube 29 w/AI Nano

qualitycontrol

is this the slim skim or the slim skim nano?

I ended up with that tank, but working on getting all the live stock dispersed. I am giving the two blue hippo's to my friend who is sporting a 500 in wall setup. Should be more than enough room.

I am hoping to pick up the coralife mini T5 fixture for the fuge tomorrow, and the coralife turbo 3X UV sterilizer.

I will pick up the nano in a few weeks when funds replenish.

Sweet! It's the slim skim nano and it fits perfectly when you cut out the lip and is super quiet while pulling out a lot of gunk. Get some pics up when you can...

is this the slim skim or the slim skim nano?

I ended up with that tank, but working on getting all the live stock dispersed. I am giving the two blue hippo's to my friend who is sporting a 500 in wall setup. Should be more than enough room.

I am hoping to pick up the coralife mini T5 fixture for the fuge tomorrow, and the coralife turbo 3X UV sterilizer.

I will pick up the nano in a few weeks when funds replenish.

qualitycontrol

Well here is the start. The rock is cured and has been soaking for a year so it is live. It came with the tank and I threw a few corals in there that were not doing so great in my other tank. Give them a chance to rest and relax with the low flow.

I am currently using the HQI on the other tank as I sold the light from that tank to buy this new tank. The light you see on the BC29 HQI is the Coralife mini for the fuge. Other mods include removing the filter in chamber 2 and replacing with egg crate. I am also going to try the aquatic life skimmer. I have heard great things about it and its only $59. Can't go wrong with that price.

My MP10 will go into this tank as well. As soon as I sell my other tank, I will purchase the nano.

So far I am loving it.

P1020954.JPG?w=0dbc7818

P1020953.JPG?w=18f6ad30

P1020952.JPG?w=8fd2ded9

Hey NaturalReef, Just ordered my Nano and have the BC29 HQI. Any chance you can post pics on where and how you cut the covers to accommodate the Nano bracket? Thanks!

Hey SynRG,

To be honest, I just positioned the nano bracket on the tank and put each cover on half way and just eyed it up. Then I used painters tape where I wanted the cuts and used a hacksaw and cut slowly making sure I was straight. The hacksaw cut it very easily and I lucked out on the first try:) I'll try to measure it up for you and take a pic where the cuts are, but it won't be until later tonight or tomorrow morning if that's okay?

Btw,

You are going to "love" this setup, it is so clean and the light covers the tank perfectly!

Hey NaturalReef, Just ordered my Nano and have the BC29 HQI. Any chance you can post pics on where and how you cut the covers to accommodate the Nano bracket? Thanks!
Hey SynRG,

To be honest, I just positioned the nano bracket on the tank and put each cover on half way and just eyed it up. Then I used painters tape where I wanted the cuts and used a hacksaw and cut slowly making sure I was straight. The hacksaw cut it very easily and I lucked out on the first try:) I'll try to measure it up for you and take a pic where the cuts are, but it won't be until later tonight or tomorrow morning if that's okay?

Btw,

You are going to "love" this setup, it is so clean and the light covers the tank perfectly!

I just received it and see exactly how you did it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is an easy mod and looks almost stock. Still not thrilled with the look of the AI bracket, but I believe your solution is the most elegant one for the BC29g HQI. Position of light is ideal over the tank. I wanted to use the tray still for filter floss so I just used plexi to shim the bracket and add strength to the false wall. There is still some sag in it, but my goal is to cut the back covers precisely where they will act as a brace for the bracket when they are in place. I'll let you know how it turns out. Was concerned that the AI Nano would not be enough over my 29g, but no concerns now that I'm looking at it. These things do pack a punch! LOVE it!

saltwatercoral
I just received it and see exactly how you did it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is an easy mod and looks almost stock. Still not thrilled with the look of the AI bracket, but I believe your solution is the most elegant one for the BC29g HQI. Position of light is ideal over the tank. I wanted to use the tray still for filter floss so I just used plexi to shim the bracket and add strength to the false wall. There is still some sag in it, but my goal is to cut the back covers precisely where they will act as a brace for the bracket when they are in place. I'll let you know how it turns out. Was concerned that the AI Nano would not be enough over my 29g, but no concerns now that I'm looking at it. These things do pack a punch! LOVE it!

hey SynRG, now that you have Ai join the Aqua Illuminations Club. Just post some pics of your build and aliitle about your build and Ill add you to the list with a link to your build!

Sweet SynRG!

Now, I demand pictures:) This light has pretty amazing coverage considering the size of the unit. My corals seem very happy with good polyp extension and color. My plate corals colored up in short order since using the Ai nano, the blue led's really pack a punch. I actually like the AI bracket because of how stock it looks with the biocube. The original hqi bracket doesn't even come close to elegant compared to the AI bracket. just my opinion:) Have fun playing with the different color combinations of this light, pretty addictive being able to control your color temp.

Sweet SynRG!

Now, I demand pictures:) This light has pretty amazing coverage considering the size of the unit. My corals seem very happy with good polyp extension and color. My plate corals colored up in short order since using the Ai nano, the blue led's really pack a punch. I actually like the AI bracket because of how stock it looks with the biocube. The original hqi bracket doesn't even come close to elegant compared to the AI bracket. just my opinion:) Have fun playing with the different color combinations of this light, pretty addictive being able to control your color temp.

I'm growing to like it more and more and really like the idea you had. Even though I think AI could have done a better job with the bracket, It does look nice, simple and almost stock with your mod. Thanks again! It played into my decision of upgrading from the HQI to the Nano for sure.

• 1 month later...

This is the thread I've been searching the internet high and low for! I have a BC29, non-HQI. Currently the lid is removed and I'm using a 4xT5 18w light setup. It's a great improvement over what under the stock lid, but T5's in this size just don't give me what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for a ton of light, I dont need a Sun ball in the corner of the living room. More than lots of light is a rich color of corals. Enough growth light to sustain my SPS without issue and bring the colors to life! I feel like the T5'c can do that for a short period of time but soon the colors can wash out as the light looses its functionality. I'd like to have the shimmer of light as well that a MH offers.

I think this AI Nano will meet my requirements. I'll call around today and find someone with one in stock. I'll have a bit of down time through the holidays to work on the tank.

Shifting gears.... WIll the Slim Skim Nano work in the first chamber (with possible mods) of the BC29 non-HQI?

Thanks!

Red Sea Reefer
Will be doing the build this week. Basically my idea is this...... I have clear acrylic rod and clear mesh from BRS. I am gonna make a template of the inside of the tank. Basically an outline of the curve and sides and back of the tank using stiff cardboard. The acrylic is 1/2 inch thick so that needs to be subtracted from the dimensions of the template all the way around so the formed rod will fit on the inside rim of the tank. Then I am going to stack multiple pieces of cardboard in the same outline on top of one another until they are 2 inches thick maybe more maybe less idk.

Glue them or tape them together so it is one piece. Then to form the acrylic rod I will heat it up with either a hairdryer or heat gun and it should mold to the outline using gravity as my friend (for the curved part). The straight 90 degree corners Im pretty sure I can just measure and bend by hand while heating.

I then plan to use clear plastic tabs probably will need 4 of them. They will be fastened to the inside rim of the tank with clear silicone so the acrylic rod frame can sit on top of them. The mesh I will then curl over the rod to the underside of the frame where I will superglue it all the way around.

At least this is how it all plays out in my mind..... We will see. The main Idea is that I hate the idea of a rimless tank with a mesh cover that is made out of black window screen frame. The whole purpose of rimless is for clear lines. This was my idea to solve that problem.

Hope that helps, will post pics once I start the project.

Please let us know how your mod turns out. Pictures if you can please. I can't quite invision exactly what you are talking about but I know I want to go topless with an AI and don't like the idea of finding Nemo on my floor. Your fish saver sounds interesting. Please keep us up to date.

Archived