Cultivated Reef

The Oceanarium Project: Imaginarium

Deckoz2302

That's what's up. How are your elemental levels going with the two week changes?

They start to drop a bit partway through the second week. I've just been dosing Ca, alk, and mag to keep them at the right level until the water change.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy....lol I'm on the edge about getting dosing pumps....since I use powder atm....and my dosing changes every couple weeks. I'd have to turn my powder into liquid unless I could find a accurate powder dower similar to the machines that encapsulate pills

Crazy....lol I'm on the edge about getting dosing pumps....since I use powder atm....and my dosing changes every couple weeks. I'd have to turn my powder into liquid unless I could find a accurate powder dower similar to the machines that encapsulate pills

If you could, how would you do it? I was under the impression that, for instance, if you dose powdered CA into SW directly that it will precipitate calcium.

For now my dosing isn't too crazy so I don't mind doing it by hand. Do they sell powder dosers for reef tanks?

Not that I'm aware of - my brother works for a pharmaceutical company which is how I got the idea.

I hope you're documenting all these cool projects. You could write a book......maybe you should???

Haha it would be cool to have a book lol

If you could, how would you do it? I was under the impression that, for instance, if you dose powdered CA into SW directly that it will precipitate calcium.

I currently dose powdered supplements directly into the aquarium through the overflow box which mixes immediately from the turbulence in the drain and do not experience precipitated calc, carbonate or magnesium. If I were to follow through with this most likely I would try to find a powder fractionator to accurately dose down to 1/10th gram of powder. The problem becomes evaporation close to a powder doser nozzle causing it to cake. However if I could get my hands on a door/piston powder dosator and hang it 2 inches above an overflow then I could pretty much rule out salt creep/evaporation caking. Just something I need to do more research on.

You remember what I was talking about earlier? as far as Light on the outside of the tank?

This probably shows it best.

IMG_20120312_212501.jpg

Also this weekend...Im gonna remove half my rocks....and superglue the fuuck out of some vermitid snails and burn some hydroids :P

I like open tanks but I don't like that ambient light. Plus I don't have to top off much with my tightly fitted lid. But those colors are amazing.

Have fun supergluing and burning! Poor little creatures :lol:

Haha it would be cool to have a book lol

My husband is constantly trying to talk me into writing a book or articles on reefing. I don't feel like I have enough knowledge of the chemistry behind it to write something though. You certainly do!

My husband is constantly trying to talk me into writing a book or articles on reefing. I don't feel like I have enough knowledge of the chemistry behind it to write something though. You certainly do!

Have you flipped through any reefing books lately? There's a reason I don't own any. :lol: there are good ones out there but many of them are outdated the second they are published.

Haha I'm certainly not an English lit major though haha. My writing is horrible lol

Haha I'm certainly not an English lit major though haha. My writing is horrible lol

There are programs that can help you with the grammar part!

I'm sure you can write better than you can draw, hahahahahah. Well you tank blue prints anyway :)

I write really well. For some reason even though I'm in a science field I really picked up on the grammar and spelling. I also know how to write technical things since I have to write papers for my research all the time. Brad, you can outline the material for the book and I'll write it out nicely for you :)

I'm sure you can write better than you can draw, hahahahahah. Well you tank blue prints anyway :)

Haha that's cause half of those tank drawing are on printer paper when I'm on the route sitting at a stop in the truck...just to get an idea down/out..lolol

I write really well. For some reason even though I'm in a science field I really picked up on the grammar and spelling. I also know how to write technical things since I have to write papers for my research all the time. Brad, you can outline the material for the book and I'll write it out nicely for you :)

Word. Haha I had to to when I was in school. I just hateeeee writing lol

And I'm a good typesetter.

Cool you'll know when to put a break in my run on sentences and paragraphs

Guess what? Its 86 degrees outside....and somebody turned off the AC and opened the windows this morning....tank temp...82.7.....sounds like someone needs to invest in a chiller....

OK so I just looked at my logger....temp went from 78.6 at 830 to 81.9 at 11:50 and has been climbing for the past 5 hours to 82.7. Heater port turned off at 9:17...meh....

Now how to cool this tank down slowly..

Earth Eater

Wow! Your tank is fantastic:) I have skimmed you thread from page 1-112 but cannot find if you still have the pistol in there? I think it's great that you have one in such a coral filled tank. How do you deal with the mini sandstorms from burrowing? I have on in my 10 gal zoa and acan garden but I no longer have crystal clear water:(

Beautifull tank!

Wow! Your tank is fantastic:) I have skimmed you thread from page 1-112 but cannot find if you still have the pistol in there? I think it's great that you have one in such a coral filled tank. How do you deal with the mini sandstorms from burrowing? I have on in my 10 gal zoa and acan garden but I no longer have crystal clear water:(

Beautifull tank!

Thanks for the compliments - yes the pistol is still in there. But he's been hiding as of late since he lost his best friend to jumping. The sandstorms lasted about a month until he was happy with his burrow - now he just does his cleaning and maintenance on the burrow.

As far as your water being clear - try running some poly filler to remove the suspended particles and also some carbon for a couple days to get your watrr back to omg that's clear.

Give the pistol time it will calm down once he is hapoy

Earth Eater
Thanks for the compliments - yes the pistol is still in there. But he's been hiding as of late since he lost his best friend to jumping. The sandstorms lasted about a month until he was happy with his burrow - now he just does his cleaning and maintenance on the burrow.

As far as your water being clear - try running some poly filler to remove the suspended particles and also some carbon for a couple days to get your watrr back to omg that's clear.

Give the pistol time it will calm down once he is hapoy

Thank-you very much:) I will do as you reccomend:)

I stil can't find your thread since the name change. Good thing you post often, I look for your screen name.

So I decided to go for the RKL, not the reef angel. I'm not going to get all fancy, I just need something basic, reliable and something that someone else can read if I'm not available which happens half a year.

I stil can't find your thread since the name change. Good thing you post often, I look for your screen name.

So I decided to go for the RKL, not the reef angel. I'm not going to get all fancy, I just need something basic, reliable and something that someone else can read if I'm not available which happens half a year.

Nice. They all do they're part just some can do different things

And I'm a good typesetter.

It can be a collaboration! I did proofreading before I quit to be a mom. I can look over the final draft :lol:

Well that's what the editors are for!

Whoa! Who opened the windows and turned the AC off? Try a frozen Water bottle and float it for a few minutes in the tank. It may help to bring the temp back to normal.

Archived