Top Shelf Aquatics

countless things on my new live rock

patback

the first picture i tihnk is probably my favorite out of all of them, so i really want info on that. you think its a brain? it was a pristine white when i first put it in, but has a brown tint on the indents(mouths? polyps? idk lol) now. i tried basting it to get some sand that blew ontop of it off and it changed back to more of a white color.

did you get this rock from gulfliverock.com?

They turn brown when happy.... if they get to much flow they turn white.... i have a few of the corals in the second photo.... they turn green when puffed up and are some of my favorite corals in my tank... they send out feeder tentacles when happy... just give it time... they are awesome! mine have tripled in size in 7 months

yes i did, thanks for the info. could you recomend lighting intensity for it? i have it on a rock on the sandbed, so a little under a foot and a half under t5's. its not in direct flow either. i was worried that the brown meant it was dieing off from the cycle, but thought it was a little weird that the baster made it turn white again. thanks :)

i have them at all levels of the tank....from my experience the only thing that makes them mad is very very high and direct flow.... i will take some pics and share them with you when i get a chance =).... one more thing... the gulfliverock comes with a bunch of stuck on soot... you might think the rock looks great now... just wait, it gets even better after the soot comes off... it took me about a month of turkey basting =)

yeah, ive noticed that too, but dont get me wrong, i still love this rock. i thought i did a pretty good job of cleaning it, but i guess its loosening up inside, and im still gettiing a good amount of crap coming out of the larger holes. im just basting it out, and using a hob filter with just filter floss to pick it up, then i throw it out and take the filter off the tank, bc its ugly :) haha. please do post pics, im wondering how big they get and whatg they look like when its in good water conditions.

but i guess its loosening up inside, and im still gettiing a good amount of crap coming out of the larger holes.

Sure thing...

you will be surprised how many holes in the rock show up that you didn't know you had... that gunk is deceiving.... almost looks like grey rock with no Coraline algae... my hitchhiker mantis sure helped my with that =)

Nice rock, I didn't really get any corals with mine, a bunch of sponges though.

I went through and rescaped a bit now that some stuff is coming back alive and I found two brains and a few other corals. Hopefully they all come back.

yup, i moved my rocks around a bit and i also found 3 more brains i didnt know of.plus a dead one about the size of my thumb that had coraline all over it. haha. that orange blobby thing died and stunk worse than you could imagine. im guessing that it was some sort of egg patch. Dan answered me back with what type of corals the main ones were. Kat, he said the brain is a rose. maybe a differnt type than the one you have?

the white mound looking one with the brown polyps is a knobby coral, and the one that i really like is called a starry eyed coral... not sure how much im going to like them soon, they seem to be everywhere now. lol

Oh I finally! saw your pictures:

Yes the small oval is the rose coral.

The others with the bumps are LPS but obviously wait for the colors and spongy bits to grow in.

Might be favia.

God I'm jealous of your rock!!! :)

sorry it took so long, my girlfriend cant find the charger to her camera, so i guess ill just upload the crappy photos.. anyone tell me what these are?post-68684-1315305622_thumb.jpg

post-68684-1315305947_thumb.jpg

post-68684-1315306051_thumb.jpg

post-68684-1315306150_thumb.jpg

post-68684-1315306240_thumb.jpg

post-68684-1315306332_thumb.jpg

Some of the corals are half-living, the others are completely dead and appear to have been for months. The ones that are half living probably won't survive a cycle. There is a really low percentage you would you able to bring them back under halides in an established tank. Nevertheless, nice rock. I wish you luck with your new tank! :)

When I got my rock from them they looked the same way. Some of the coral opened up in a couple days and some took a couple of weeks. But almost all of them survived.

Good Luck Pat,

Josh

Archived