Top Shelf Aquatics

34g Solana

TimberC

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.........Your tank is absolutely amazing. Tank of the month worthy by far!!!!!

Thank you for posting as many pics as you have. We have a solana also and do 20'/. Water changes weekly and have an ATO.

Do you have to dose anything to keep your parameters up or does the water changes take care of that for you?

What brand of salt do you use?

When you do your tank maintanance do you do anything with the sand bed or do you leave it be?

What do you keep as fae as a clean up crew?

Keep up the good work , it's defiantly working well for you!!!! Shane

Haha one day I will get some rics I keep asking my local fish store to get some in.

Rics are one of my favorite corals. They come in so many colors and are pretty hardy.

WOW.

:P :P :P

incredible setup timber....totm imo

Thanks man. The 34g Solana was shut down in Deecember 2011. I have a new set up and I must say that your set up among a few others were actually the inspiration for my new tank. It's a 45g skimmerless & sumpless set up that's 24"L x 24"W x 18"H. After seeing your semi-cube tank and your awesome clean aquascape I started working on getting something similar. I went for a very open aquascape but it's hard to capture in pictures how awesome it actually looks in person. Here are some shots of my new set up. I wish I had your skills to take great photos.

IMG_3237-1.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3245-1.jpg

2-17.jpg

Wow.........Your tank is absolutely amazing. Tank of the month worthy by far!!!!!

Thank you for posting as many pics as you have. We have a solana also and do 20'/. Water changes weekly and have an ATO.

Do you have to dose anything to keep your parameters up or does the water changes take care of that for you?

What brand of salt do you use?

When you do your tank maintanance do you do anything with the sand bed or do you leave it be?

What do you keep as fae as a clean up crew?

Keep up the good work , it's defiantly working well for you!!!! Shane

Hi Shane,

The Solana has been shut down. It was a great tank but as you can see things were a bit tight in there. I picked an awesome elegance and it started stinging everything. That's when I knew that if I wanted to keep the elegance coral, I would have to get a slightly bigger tank. That's how this 45g semi-cube came along.

The Solana used to get 10% to 20% water changes every two weeks. I didn't have an ATO so manually top off was done daily. I have never dose anything to any of my tanks. If you looked at the first pics I posted you'll see my very first tank. It was a 50g skimmerless and sumpless that ran for 7 years. It was super successful and I had an amazing growth. I dodn't dose anything to that tank either. Water changes did the trick for me.

The salt I have always use is Instant Ocean. I tend to leave the sand alone and don't have a clean up crew. However, If you count Fireshimp as clean up crew, then I have 2 Fireshrimp, that's all.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help.

Great looking Solana!

I really like your new set up too! Definitely an inspiration for mine. I'm working on getting some nice hammer and bubble corals.

Keep it up!

The Solana looks amazing man. All the stuff that you have in there is so colorful and healthy. It's too bad that you had to shut down the Solana but your new set up is wicked too.

I can't believe that you don't use a skimmer and that there is no sump. This is obviously working for you. Leep it up!

The Solana looks amazing man. All the stuff that you have in there is so colorful and healthy. It's too bad that you had to shut down the Solana but your new set up is wicked too.

I can't believe that you don't use a skimmer and that there is no sump. This is obviously working for you. Leep it up!

Thanks man. Not using a skimmer or a sump has worked great for me. I have been in the hobby for 8 years and all three tanks that I have had during this time have run skimmerless & sumpless. The coral growth in my tanks has been great. I sell and trade frags quite often throughout the year.

Thanks man. The 34g Solana was shut down in Deecember 2011. I have a new set up and I must that your set up among a few others were actually the inspiration for my new tank. It's a 45g skimmerless & sumpless set up that's 24"L x 24"W x 18"H. After seeing your semi-cube tank and your awesome clean aquascape I started working on getting something similar. I went for a very open aquascape but it's hard to capture in pictures how awesome it actually looks in person. Here are some shots of my new set up. I wish I had your skills to take great photos.

IMG_3237-1.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3245-1.jpg

2-17.jpg

Well im glad i could provide some inspiration because this tank is staggering... Not only the scape but the amount of diversity in this tank is something to be very proud of. Not to mention your doing this without any major filtration...hats off. Your pics are great and really highlight the awesomeness of this build.

Great job man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I love your tank. I've always been looking at it for inspiration. You inspired me to get a Rock Flower Anemone. I also LOVE your Ric Garden! So Amazing!

Archived