Coral Vue Hydros

Chaeto dying?

Reef Hollister

Reef Hollister

I have a BC14 with an Intank media basket in 2. The top second basket is set up as a fuge with two small pieces of rubble (more as something to keep small sections of Chaeto in place) and cheato. Top basket has floss. Lighting for the fuge is a JBL fuge light.

All my parameters are fine. Everything else, including some nice red macro in the tank is fine. It is Scinaia Complanta and I've already had to frag it. My problem is that I can't keep Cheato from dying in the fuge. This is my second batch. It starts out fine, but after a few weeks it slowly begins to melt away. This really has me puzzled. The only thing that I can think of is that I have some Phosban in basket three. I put it in there to help combat an outbreak of Cyano and it worked. Can that be robbing the Chaeto of all the nutrients it needs to the point it kills it?

Anybody got any other ideas or suggestions?

Nutrient deficiency is a possibility, but if your red is still going I'm not sure. Different macros are able to sustain different periods of time without nutrients. What light is over it? Does it get a decent amount of flow?

Reef Hollister

It is a JBL Refugium light that mounts on the back. It is getting light and what is in there looks green except the bottom plart. It seems to melt away and turn to mush from the bottom first.

+1 That's what I would guess too. If it's dying at the bottom. Usually it get's tumbled so it all gets equal light. When I had some in my display it was about the size of half a jug of milk at some points. I made sure to flip it every day or two

Archived