inTank Media Baskets

DIY LED DX12

AnthonyPf

I did all of the work with a screw driver, drill, soldering iron, wire stripper & a multimeter.

I think RapidLED now has many LED options for solderless connections. That was the most difficult part.

The other more difficult aspect is dialing in the driver for the proper mA. That is what you use the multimeter for. There were a lot of videos on youtube for this.

I used the fans that were already in my hood. Removed everything else.

Drilled holes in the heat sink to match the screw holes in the hood.

The whole job took me an afternoon.

Work out your parts list first. (This might be the most fun part)

Best if luck if you are starting a project.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...don't think I've ever seen orange coralline..that's so cool.

So...I've been thinking about upgrading my lights to a couple of the Panorama Pro LED Modules.

Can you tell me how you removed the lid on the nanocube? I can't figure out how to do it!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Got no love in the Members Aquariums section so I am reposting here. Hope someone likes it..

I have a thread on my Pico Reef Jar and thought it was about time to start a thread on my DX12.

This tank started with stock lighting and I bought a nanotuners PC upgrade with moon light fix.

I still did not get the lighting I needed for the SPS frags. So I set up a DIY LED build using CREE X-PG and XR-E LEDs from RapidLED.

Below are the pics. Feel free to let me know what you think:

Currently running 4 NW, 4 CW, 6 RB, 2 Blue & 1 moon light in the center.

Blue and white are on separate drivers and the moon light is independent from the rest.

6034179850_f1fa4883c1_m.jpg

I removed the black from the back of the second chamber and added a JBJ refugium light. Cheato grows out of control and I have to trim once a month.

6034180682_77a4d8a587_m.jpg

Here are some nicer shots I have. There is much more in the tank but need to work on getting better shots.

Superman Monti:

6033623535_945a0a0902_m.jpg

Acan:

6033619251_04acf4b6c4_m.jpg

Mili Acro and Mini Max Nem:

6033605699_33105580aa_m.jpg

Hermit, Duncan & Birds Nest:

6033606345_03b6fcee45_m.jpg

Trumpet:

6034160114_14d272926a_m.jpg

FTS:

6033606909_a7c08ace42_z.jpg

rapidled sells a set of LED on the same driver, if i keep the blues and white on the same driver is that good or bad,

I have a 12g nano cube, i'm trying to figure out where I can put the moonlights

rapidled sells a set of LED on the same driver, if i keep the blues and white on the same driver is that good or bad,

I have a 12g nano cube, i'm trying to figure out where I can put the moonlights

It comes down to choice. It is nice just being able to run your Royal Blues by them selves. But there is no rule saying you have to split them up.

If it helps, I have mine on separate drivers

bwoodward0012

looks nice... love that orange corraline or what ever it is, have a little on a couple of my rocks. are your corals doing better with the leds?

Last night, for the very first time, my chalice put out big brown long tentacles. It did it out of each newly developing eye. About 6 in total.

This coral was marginal at best when I first got it. Now it might end up being the favorite in the tank.

Everything else seems to be responding very well.

I also started mixing my RODI water with salt way in advance of water changes. That might be helping too.

I kind of feel like my orange corraline algae is the prize of the tank. Thank you for noticing!!

nice build, the red looks great in your tank! i plan to add a single red to my nano tanks 20 cree led light, it has 10 nw and 10 rb on dimmable drivers. i just want to add one single osram red 3w led on its own micropuck driver and make it dimmable, maybe just use a thermal pad and no lens...

I kind of feel like my orange corraline algae is the prize of the tank.

The color compliments your clownfish, etc. really well! Looks very natural!

nice build, the red looks great in your tank! i plan to add a single red to my nano tanks 20 cree led light, it has 10 nw and 10 rb on dimmable drivers. i just want to add one single osram red 3w led on its own micropuck driver and make it dimmable, maybe just use a thermal pad and no lens...

That is a good plan. I hope you have good success with the red.

I just linked the Osram right up to the RB string because it runs at the same 750mA. I have enough drivers floating under my tank as it is and did not want to add another.

• 1 month later...
are you running any fans, in your LED set up, if so, how did you hook them up?

Yes, I am running fans. I have two fans in the stock position. They are upgraded fans from the original stock ones. The original ones started to make noise.

The are both blowing in and are hooked up to a regular power supply.

I will be updating with some new pics soon. I have lots of new stock and excellent growth.

It has been a while since I have updated with some photos. The LED setup has brought color to the tank I could only dream of. Seems I can support almost any coral as long as it is not a fast spreading type. It is after all a very small tank.

FTS 12/24/2011

6588105001_752698f719_b.jpg

Superman

6588118085_342aed3e03_b.jpg

Favorite Acan

6588094013_6f731f3102_b.jpg

New Scoly

6588083285_7616bce54b_b.jpg

• 9 months later...

It has been a long time since I posted into this thread but I got a new macro lens for my phone.

I wanted to share a few shots:

Acan

8071347369_5135b918ea_c.jpg

Lobo

8071335992_2cb99d43e7_c.jpg

Birdsnest

8071342289_f7f2ef707d_c.jpg

Superman

8071344169_d378301f1e_c.jpg

& some Mushrooms

8071345177_e7b4fbe1c5_c.jpg

8071338958_ce562c386d_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I can't believe no one has replied to those awesome macro shots you put up! Your tank is an inspiration for sure. I also have a JBJ 12g Nano Cube and I was brought to this thread because I am also planning on upgrading the lighting to LED. However, I may go the route that Gena posted about and use the Panorama Pro Modules because they are plug n play. Do you see a noticeable decline in nuisance algae since switching to LEDs?

How is the tank doing now? Love to see how the coral are doing after several months of LED lighting. Hope its going well.

very nice macro shots. Rics are particularly cool close up! That red really did make the whole thing pop in a way that has me thinking...since both of my moonlights stopped working, maybe I should just replace one and make the other a red? AAAH -- I'd thought I'd done investing in lights :lol:.

Even though its going to take a while the yellow banded maroon doesnt belong in this tank long term. Mine probably could still fit in a 12 gallon now after 2 years.. but he would really be pushing the limits. Overall nice tank!

Wow, I thought no one was ever going to comment on my tank. Now I see a couple. Thanks everyone!

The tank has much much new progress. I think the red has really made a world of difference.

I keep debating on upgrading to a larger tank but always end up falling in love again with the Nanocube when I make changes.

I will take some new pictures tonight and post tomorrow.

Regarding the banded maroon. He has been in there for 4 years. No signs of him outgrowing. He is the only fish in the tank and he likes it that way. I do not think he will be moving any time soon.

Oh, I have added a clam! Can't wait to show you all. Thanks again for the supportive comments.

Here are the most current shots of the DX12:

This is the right side of the tank and a great shot of my clam:

8385993649_604f35be57_z.jpg

This is a left side shot. Look at the growth on those SPS!:

8385994323_39f81e4bc2_c.jpg

And of course FTS 1.16.13:

8387079898_0df211c366_b.jpg

I finally decided to throw a UV LED into the color mix. I just placed the ordered with RapidLED.

Right now I am running one too many whites in the middle so I will replace one white LED with UV. Since I only drive the white at 750mA the UV should just slide right in.

Now I have to wait for it to come in the mail......That's the hardest part.

• 1 month later...

I am sure every can see (when you look very closely) I have a huge majano issue.

When I first started setting up a tank I made the mistake of actually purchasing the majano. I thought they were cool looking and did not know what they were. The store I purchased them from actually sold them to me!

For the last 6 years I have been able to keep them at bay. Now they have become too much.

Right now I have 12lbs of new live rock cycling in a 5 gallon bucket.

My plan is to frag every coral in the tank and set them up in a new tank. I will eradicate those pest and let the tank cycle. Then put all the frags back in.

It may not be a bad thing in the long run. I will get to take my time and set all the rock and coral up exactly how I want it.

It is just sad to see rock I have had for the last 6 years get dumped.

So I am about 1/3 of the way through fragging the coral. I am using a wet band saw to cut the coral off of the rocks.uhtqkU5.jpg

Each night I moving to a new rock, cutting the corals off and placing the coral on the sand. After the coral is removed I am throwing the rock away. Once all of the coral is cut and removed from my main tank I will put in new live rock. I will let the new rock cycle and place the coral back in.

Here is a progress shot

arUwbln.jpg

Nice tank I just installed the current kit in my biocube it took 45 min gutted the hood fit right in...both leds are dimmable on seperate drivers great kit and so easy to install..

Nice tank I just installed the current kit in my biocube it took 45 min gutted the hood fit right in...both leds are dimmable on seperate drivers great kit and so easy to install..

That is great! The LEDs changed my whole tank experience. Do you have a link to your tank anywhere?

Archived