Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chemi Pure Elite

Euphyllia

can you recommend a specific brand of carbon?

When i started using Chemi pure Elite within afew week i noticed a dramatic change in my tank. My anemone was open more, my fish was more active and biting me more. I had no detectable levels before using it but i wanted to test it out. For 14.00 (what it costs here) every few months it worth the increased activity ive noticed.

BRS ROX carbon plus GFO....

Chemi Pure Elite is a waste.

+1

The little amount of resin in Chemi-pure elite gets used up fast, that is pretty much the same type of resin used in DI filters, which is not recommended for saltwater. And, I doub chemi-pure last as long as the package claims. I just use ROX & Phosban, changed out every month. The amount of carbon dust in Chemi-pure should tell you something.

Edited by Asureef
  • 3 weeks later...

I've always just ran with Purigen and Phosban (which is essentially GFO), never had an issue. Probably going to add some carbon for my new setup though, as I no longer have a protein skimmer.

Edited by Break

I just placed an order from BRS for ROX and GFO pellets and a couple bags to put them in. I've tried CPE; I'm hoping that this works better. My clarity isn't the best and I'm still trying to get my PO4 down. I'm hopeful that this will help.

• 1 year later...

Wow a lot of Chemipure haters..lol. You'll end up changing carbon and gfo often which you'll have to buy again and again. Plus the added cost of a phosban reactor and powerhead/pump. I've used both in my over 10 yrs of reef keeping and really I tend to sway more towards the chemipure elite. Change it every 4 months. Think how much carbon and gfo you'll go through in 4 or so months. Really though use what works for you but don't just start telling people stuff is sh!t.

Ive used it for a while, dont have anything else to compare it too but my tank has always been clean and healthy, could be my maintenece habits though. My LFS sells the container I need for like 15.99 and with replacining it around every month it does get to be a little much but hey that is the name of the game in this hobby

Wow a lot of Chemipure haters..lol. You'll end up changing carbon and gfo often which you'll have to buy again and again. Plus the added cost of a phosban reactor and powerhead/pump. I've used both in my over 10 yrs of reef keeping and really I tend to sway more towards the chemipure elite. Change it every 4 months. Think how much carbon and gfo you'll go through in 4 or so months. Really though use what works for you but don't just start telling people stuff is sh!t.

The guy at my LFS said to change it every month but now ill try it for longer. How do you rinse it? I rinse it in RO/DI water until it runs clear, no idea if im even suppose to do that but it says nothing on the container and if I just drop it in it coast my tank in black (carbon?) dust

Ive used it for a while, dont have anything else to compare it too but my tank has always been clean and healthy, could be my maintenece habits though. My LFS sells the container I need for like 15.99 and with replacining it around every month it does get to be a little much but hey that is the name of the game in this hobby

The guy at my LFS said to change it every month but now ill try it for longer. How do you rinse it? I rinse it in RO/DI water until it runs clear, no idea if im even suppose to do that but it says nothing on the container and if I just drop it in it coast my tank in black (carbon?) dust

I rinse it in regular tap water running on cold than drop it in a container of RO water and shake it around a bit than plop it in filter. Rinsing it in RO water is great but for me it is alot of water as I rinse it till chemi putre runs fairly clean.

I replace it every 2 months and after a month drop in containe rwith salt water (water change water is great)to shake it clean method , I have found that you find tiny starfish,etc on the chemi pure bag so shaking it in saltwater container is best .

My tank is a 30 gallon and I use the 11 ounce size .

When i started using Chemi pure Elite within afew week i noticed a dramatic change in my tank. My anemone was open more, my fish was more active and biting me more. I had no detectable levels before using it but i wanted to test it out. For 14.00 (what it costs here) every few months it worth the increased activity ive noticed.

Have you thought of ordering on line?

I mention it because if you are using the 11 ounce you could get it for $8 to $10 and if on sale even cheaper.

I rinse it in regular tap water running on cold than drop it in a container of RO water and shake it around a bit than plop it in filter. Rinsing it in RO water is great but for me it is alot of water as I rinse it till chemi putre runs fairly clean.

I replace it every 2 months and after a month drop in containe rwith salt water (water change water is great)to shake it clean method , I have found that you find tiny starfish,etc on the chemi pure bag so shaking it in saltwater container is best .

My tank is a 30 gallon and I use the 11 ounce size .

Have you thought of ordering on line?

I mention it because if you are using the 11 ounce you could get it for $8 to $10 and if on sale even cheaper.

I heard that you cant rinse in tap because the chempi pure abosorbs the crap in the tap water and gets patrially "used up" that is what LFS said so no idea if thats true or not. I dont understand the science behind carbon filtration so I dont even know if thats possible

I think the big question is what exactly is in it. If it's just carbon and gfo with some resin in it than I'd say it's junk for the price, but I don't see how gfo, carbon, or resin will buffer ph or create the biological filtration CPE clams. There is no way it would last for 4-6 months like they clam if it's just gfo, carbon, and resin, so I'm wondering if there is something else in it we don't know about or are the clams just BS. I have no experience with it, but am curious about it.

• 8 years later...
On 8/5/2011 at 11:26 AM, jeremai said:

it's a low-grade carbon plus a tiny amount of low-grade GFO and a resin that is completely useless in marine aquariums.

better alternatives: almost any other carbon, almost any other GFO.

Elite is a phosphate remover only. It is amazing reef aquariums.