inTank Media Baskets

Hooligan's 40 Breeder

hooligan_78

Deleted User 6
or you can do an herbie style drain and restrict the flow of the drain to match your return which to dhaut might sound stupid, but its the quietest type of drain. kinda a late right now, but to having it fool prove, you should have a back up drain incase it does overflow.

lol, it DOES sound stupid to me. i just think you're asking for a flood by restricting the drain when you can accomplish the same purpose by just getting a strong enough pump and choking it down to match the drain amount. you should have a back-up drain either way.

but +1 on the airline tubing - that's a good durso fix. glad you got it working hooligan.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
restricting the return to combat the issue will help to a certain degree, the flow will match the size of opening creating the perfect ratio, but that would be pointless if has to restrict it so much that only trickles water into the tank. or puts too much strain on the pump causing it to break prematurely or just cause too much racket. i have an QE pump before and with a restrictive return plumbing, the pump will make a lot of noise and caused a lot of wear on the shaft

this is why planning is important. match the pump as closely as possible to the drain size. for a 1" opening I ran an eheim choked down maybe 10% (maybe). it was like adding another foot of head pressure. pump and drain both ran silent.

Yeah buddy. I just changed the hole size on the cap. Seemed to do the trick. I am thinking of doing airline with a valve on the end to really fine tune it though.

• 3 weeks later...

UGH...

So, if anyone noticed my current fish are pretty much the same ones I had in my 20H for the longest time most around 2-4 years. So for whatever reason, whenever I add something new to the tank it is dead within days. Sometimes in less than 24 hours, no outward signs of disease or distress. This has been going on for a couple of months. So, I upped the temp to around 84 for about 3 weeks, and didn't add anything new hoping to cook off whatever might be killing my new fish. I got brave last week and added just a Yellowtail damsel. It's fine! No disease or anything. So a buddy of mine has been holding a flame angel in a QT tank for a couple of weeks making sure it's not sick and eating.

I brought it home Friday, drip acclimated it and released it to the tank. It hid for about 5 minutes, then was out and about "big finning" his tank mates, picking at rocks and at feeding time actually ate! Saturday morning, comes out swimming around, ate at the morning feeding, then disappeared. I found it dying in the back of the tank. This has didn't happen to the damsel or dragonette that I added. So apparently, anything over $15 dies...

Talked to a guy I know who has been in the hobby for about 15 years and he thinks it's some kind of protozoan or scilliate in the tank that my older fish are used to, but kills anything new. Seems like the most plausible guess so far. I've been doing this for about 4 and half years and never experienced anything like this. So at wit's end, I bought a UV sterilizer over the weekend. I'm hoping that helps.

But, on a positive not, everything else is doing just great...pictures!

Dragonette scooting up the side:

6344480932_7c20c124d2_b.jpg

Red cap and new Idaho Grape frag:

6343734405_14444be60f_b.jpg

New, and actually from Australia Duncans:

6343735049_f9b7ff8329_b.jpg

Attempted close-up with Cell phone of pink bird's nest:

6343736137_b8989dd300_b.jpg

And another attempt on my zoas:

6344485120_234a33bf68_b.jpg

I forgot what this guy is, surrounded by blue sansibia:

6344486180_077cf3bbf5_b.jpg

Most recent FTS, notice all the astria snails at the top, when I took this they were all spawning. Also my brittle stars all King Konged up to the top of the blue slimer to spawn as well, but I didn't have the phone with me when they did...

6344482178_1774fc1586_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a really browned-out carpet nem from Deathco last Friday. I've been feeding it daily and yesterday I noticed some streaks of blueish/green running through it. I'm really hoping the idiots sold be a blue carpet for $25! I'll get some pics of it tonight.

• 4 weeks later...
Got a really browned-out carpet nem from Deathco last Friday. I've been feeding it daily and yesterday I noticed some streaks of blueish/green running through it. I'm really hoping the idiots sold be a blue carpet for $25! I'll get some pics of it tonight.

Pics? Updates?

• 3 weeks later...
Also need to figure out a way to raise my skimmer, BM NAC 3.5 as soon as I turned it on, immediately overflowed. I know it needs to break in, but I can't keep dumping the cup ever couple of minutes.

I know this is an old thread but hopefully your still following. I am having the same problem with this skimmer. A google search found you. How were able to reso;ve the situation? Any suggestion would be more then welcomed. Thanks in advance. and the system looks great.

John

• 1 month later...
I know this is an old thread but hopefully your still following. I am having the same problem with this skimmer. A google search found you. How were able to reso;ve the situation? Any suggestion would be more then welcomed. Thanks in advance. and the system looks great.

John

Welcome to N-R!! I built a small stand out of egg create for it. I think was about 3-4 squares tall and kept it on that until it broke in. I keep the stand handy in case it gets all crazy after cleaning, but have not had the problem for the last several weeks. I'll load some updated pictures tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally snapped some new pics on my mobile.

FTS:

6779618942_88c94dfcf7_b.jpg

Emerald Crab "hiding":

6779621646_457af9c550_b.jpg

Citron Goby hanging out:

6779619752_35e325a1ef_b.jpg

Random zoas:

6925738585_bf44c0f7fe_b.jpg

Pocillopora?:

6779622010_fdf36016c8_b.jpg

The Menace:

6779619336_712dce2459_b.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hooligan_78

Thanks. You can see in the background by destroyed branching monti, I had recently removed my spawn-of-the-devil haddoni and the monti was in my way....

It's like a weed anyway and will grow back fine. They female perc in the center did an acrobatic jump the other day, found it as fish jerky, but I recently replaced it with another.

• 1 month later...
hooligan_78

Finally my perc is associating with the anemone that she's ignored for the better part of a month!

7491689024_90731aff09_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
hooligan_78
When you gonna frag me some of those corals? ;-)

Ha! Whenever. I need to frag the blue slimer for sure as it's grown to the water surface. I have a nice encrusted, pink bird's nest ready to go. Just hit me up!

Archived