Coral Vue Hydros

Seano's 29G Reef Build --> WM ULNS Pellets

Seano Hermano

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seano Hermano

I'll have to try again tomorrow to catch them. They've determined today, the net is not their friend.

Food is though, as long as it's not in the net.

photobucket-4804-1318714777555.jpg

Seano Hermano

I didn't do the removal. I couldn't catch the shrimp in the tank and I don't want to cause a lot of stress. For now, I will let it go and keep an eye on them.

One of the shrimp molted again. That's a good sign. Hopefully the bopryd will die off.

The other shrimp seems to have lost its bopryd (some how), but should molt at least once more before the bubble on his side goes away.

They both have black stuff inside the gill area...not sure what that is.

• 1 month later...
Seano Hermano

Yay! Corlz.

I got a mini coloni of green ployped birds nest, a good size orange monti cap, some king midas zoas, and some gsp.

photobucket-1421-1322173516544.jpg

photobucket-2702-1322173555667.jpg

I thought this picture was kind of cool. :happy:

photobucket-3299-1322184174032.jpg

photobucket-1397-1322184133925.jpg

photobucket-3753-1322184342253.jpg

photobucket-3449-1322184247936.jpg

After a bit of struggle, I was able to get the mat of gsp glued to the rock. I need to buy some Loctite superglue gel. I'm not terribly impressed with my results from using jb water weld.

photobucket-2708-1322184094397.jpg

Seano Hermano

Lately, my skimmate has been mostly clear. I am thinking this may be due to inconsistency in water level (oh, that reminds me...let me explain) and also my bio-load being so low.

When I got the skimmer a few months ago, my nitrates usually hovered around 5ppm. A month later, nitrates were down to 3ppm. I tested today, and it was about 1-2ppm nitrates. now, that's with no fish, but I think that is just awesome. I have had nothing but good results with this skimmer. It also doesn't seem to get dirty very fast, so, I don't clean it often. I am hoping once I get fish, I can keep my nitrates around 2ppm. I think in a mixed reef, that's enough for soft corals, not too much for the SPS. But just right...it's like porridge.

About 2 weeks ago, I turned my return pump off because it was making a weird rattling noise of the impeller. it was off balance. I opened up the pump and I guess a snail had gotten in the pump intake (due to me taking the filter sock off to clean, and not putting the sock back), and one of the paddles was snapped.

photobucket-3088-1321140930999.jpg

So, I will be ordering a new impeller, on the 1st of the month.

Oh, I found these cool things on my rock. I have a total of 3 of them (one, not pictured) and they appear to be some type of sponge, or the like.

photobucket-3240-1321922147821-1.jpg

photobucket-3199-1321922078985-1.jpg

There's also a fan worm under this rock. You can just barely see it at the bottom of that ^ picture.

I am working on making a pair of coral viewers so I can take top-down shots. They are made of 3" diameter PVC and 1/8" thick acrylic...pvc will be painted black and siliconed to the acrylic using Loctite, aquarium safe silicone.

photobucket-2802-1321922271923.jpg

photobucket-1507-1321922245671.jpg

photobucket-3827-1321995363839.jpg

photobucket-920-1321995445370.jpg

Then comes the leak test and I will use a tap and die to allow for thumb screws to hold it to a camera lens.

i think your nitrate could be lower. i have 4 fish and feed a few times daily, nitrate is pretty much undectable. i do however, have phosphates. what's your phosphate?

Seano Hermano

As far as fish, I don't think I will go with the skunk clowns like I wanted to. They get 4"..ooks kind of big for a tank only 1' wide and 2.5' long.

I think I will try to get my hands on two yellow stripe cling fish. :happydance:

p-90166-clingfish.jpg

those SPS should do well then :happy:

what test kit you using?

I use Red Sea for nitrate, calcium, and phosphate.

The scape has great potential when filled out with coral, good job.

A small group of Rao's Darts would be really neat looking in this tank, but the have a semi-bland look to them, don't you think? Take a look through the Nano Fish section of LA for some cool fish you could get.

Looking forward to seeing this tank when it's done!

The clingfish is an excellent choice. I loved mine. You just need to be mindful about your overflow. Mine ended up in the sump a bunch of times before he learned. :lol:

Seano Hermano

lol. Were you ever able to solve your fish-in-overflow problem? I don't want them getting caught in the filter sock in my sump! The overflow box is one from Glass-Holes. It doesn't have teeth above the water line.

It solved it on its own, he just stopped going around there. They are so small I'm not sure how you could fix it. You could try screening the top of the overflow but you'd have to clean it a lot. Mine always would hang around the overflow though. If yours don't you might not have to worry about it.

They are super cool fish though B)

• 1 month later...
Seano Hermano

..Going to FragAThon on the 20th. Will anyone else from the NW Ohio area be there to attend?

I would like to go to the Lansing, MI swap, but am not sure if I'll be there.

Seano Hermano

Wow, it has been a while since I posted on here. Anyway, the monti i had got stn and died. :( I stil have a smaller section that I broke off. but I am going to get a new one.

My par30s arrived yesterday, from NR member, emartin. No thanks to USPS.

photobucket-2782-1325981387835.jpg

Bulbs are OK though.

photobucket-2908-1325981558460.jpg

They really look great over the tank. It just has a hint more of a uv look to it. The two bulbs on the ends are 3 RB/2CW w/60* optics. The middle bulbs is 4RB/1CW w/ 40* optics.

DSCN4810.jpg

DSCN4813.jpg

photobucket-3538-1325984823374.jpg

This guy had bleached under my last lights. It seems to be recovering fairly well.

DSCN4807.jpg

And a crappy phone pic because I put the camera away already.

photobucket-2998-1325984879072.jpg

Seano Hermano

I am going to try to get 2 blue knuckle hermit crabs, a scarlet hermit, and a Halloween hermit from Reef Cleaners. Hopefully they won't go after my snails.

if i go the the Lansing swap, I am going to get my clingfish there.

Seano Hermano

Nevermind. Those (^) won't work. I went to Lowe's and checked them out. But the socket is too small.

Instead, I picked up 3 of these pendants for the par30s.

photobucket-6665-1326159405776.jpg

Seano Hermano
much better :)

Thanks! :)

I haven't decided whether I want a shade for the pendants. All the ones at Lowes are covers in flowers (and too big or way to small), and the ones on Ikea are rather colorful. haha

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categori...ing_room/10804/

I like the look of these, but I do not think they are plug-in?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products...0211/#/30150205

:huh:

Yeah, I wonder if it has been to long, to file a complaint with them about the package not being handled carefully.

Archived