ReefCleaners.org

12g CAD lites newbie Tank

stuie25

Nano sapiens
+1

I'm also thinking the light is very intense, even polyps are curling and washed out.

Could possibly be 'light shock'. Caulastrea generally like some light, but not full blown intense lighting. If there is too much light, the 'Shrooms will look really bad, too. Zoas might be happy as Zeph's clams, though :)

Could possibly be 'light shock'. Caulastrea generally like some light, but not full blown intense lighting. If there is too much light, the 'Shrooms will look really bad, too. Zoas might be happy as Zeph's clams, though :)

I would be happy to take the sunpod. :flower:

should i dial back the mh lamp on the sun pod a bit? maybe an hour and a half or so , i think its at three hours a day right now, also been looking into getting some lenses perhaps for the leds but not sure what to get.

if i decided to get rid of my frakenpod light il let you know kat :P

Since i started doing water changes last week with my RO finally hooked up every thing has been looking a lot better.

is the stony coral the little tiny thing with three heads?

Nano sapiens
should i dial back the mh lamp on the sun pod a bit? maybe an hour and a half or so , i think its at three hours a day right now, also been looking into getting some lenses perhaps for the leds but not sure what to get.

if i decided to get rid of my frakenpod light il let you know kat :P

Since i started doing water changes last week with my RO finally hooked up every thing has been looking a lot better.

is the stony coral the little tiny thing with three heads?

"stony' corals are those that create a calcium carbonate, aka 'stony', skeleton that the polyp(s) reside in. They tend to be more difficulty to maintain than 'softies' since they require specific calcium, alkalinity and other parameters to be within a certain tolerance and some require a very mature, stable tank to flourish.

I've never had a 'Sunpod', but what you have sounds plenty bright. Understanding the quality and intensity of light at various depths in your tank will help you to determine which corals are suitable and where to place them (top, middle, bottom). I'd suggest that you check out the many tanks on these sites and find one similar to your setup. Look at lighting schedules, distance of light from the tank, etc. and then observe which types of corals are placed where.

in response to the questions on my light changes kat i did start with the stock t5 fixture that comes with the CAD. Then i got the 60w cree fixture that my coral seamed to like quite a bit but that gave me some nasty algae, this was also early in the tanks life so that may have had something to do with it.

The cree fixture was quite heavy with the solid heat sink and it broke the flimy stock cad brackets ( i know im an idiot for using them) Anyway after a nice dunk in the salt, i was there when it went in and it came out very quick it died a horrible smoky death. i still have it and have now gotten it apart and have the damaged traced down to a few fixable spots.

After the un timely demise of the led fixture i was back to the stock and got the used 70w sunpod from a user here. Also bought the dim4 controller and some led parts. Yes i could have used the sunpod by itself but i felt like i wanted some more control then just light on, light off so i added the leds to the sunpod and the controller to run it. so far i really like the outcome of the fixture

in response to the questions on my light changes kat i did start with the stock t5 fixture that comes with the CAD. Then i got the 60w cree fixture that my coral seamed to like quite a bit but that gave me some nasty algae, this was also early in the tanks life so that may have had something to do with it.

The cree fixture was quite heavy with the solid heat sink and it broke the flimy stock cad brackets ( i know im an idiot for using them) Anyway after a nice dunk in the salt, i was there when it went in and it came out very quick it died a horrible smoky death. i still have it and have now gotten it apart and have the damaged traced down to a few fixable spots.

After the un timely demise of the led fixture i was back to the stock and got the used 70w sunpod from a user here. Also bought the dim4 controller and some led parts. Yes i could have used the sunpod by itself but i felt like i wanted some more control then just light on, light off so i added the leds to the sunpod and the controller to run it. so far i really like the outcome of the fixture

I HAS TO HAS IT, I HAS TO!

did you see the build pics? its not very aesthetically pleasing yet. Im still trying to figure out to to make it a little nicer on the bottom before i get it hung on cables.

• 1 month later...

few weeks into ro water and new bag of cemipure tank is looking much happier. almost no growth on the glass i can go two weeks before i have to clean it now, thank god.

(please excuse phone pics)

20120911_101422.jpg

20120911_091518.jpg

20120911_091530.jpg

20120911_101453.jpg

Archived