Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY MH Canopy - 10G

DSparks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, sorry guys. I don't know where they went. I guess it's such an old thread that they were dropped or something.

There's a pic or two on my site, but nothing like I had originally posted here.

neanderthalman

Any attachments, like a lot of images, were lost when the forum switched to different software in october. Pictures that were hyperlinked are still visible, so long as the picture is still hosted.

HTH

• 4 years later...
I've been sick and home from work the last two days, so I took the opportunity in between toilet hugs :x to finish wiring this thing up . . .

Materials:

The hood is put together using project wood from Lowes. I added a little trim for a decorative finish and also to help the hood match my DIY stand.

The guts are made up of:

• Aromat 5EUF Ballast (Ebay)
  • Aqualine AB 10,000K MH Bulb (HelloLights)
  • MH Mounting Bracket (HelloLights)
  • 13W Actinic PC w/ Ballast (Old Hood - AHSupply)
  • DIY Moonlights (Old Hood)

Outcome:

I'm extremely happy that I made the decision to upgrade. There is just no comparison between the color from my previous setup (PC's) and the color from this MH. The shimmer alone was worth the upgrade. It really appears that you are looking at a little patch of reef under the sun.

I was worred about heat with the ballast being mounted inside the hood, but the temp hasn't went above 80, which is only 1 degree higher than with the PC setup.

I may add another 13W actinic after I get to feeling better. I don't think I need it, but I have an extra one laying around so I might as well go ahead and take advantage, right?

Here are several pics. Let me know what you think!

where are the pictures???????????

Archived