SaltCritters.com

DIY MH Canopy - 10G

DSparks

KrackerG, go back to page two and re-read OTF's long post.

I'll sum it up though. Regular glass will block out UV-B, and UV-C (the one's considered dangerous). However, UV-A will not be blocked. UV-A is not as dangerous as B and C, but dangerous enough that long over exposures to it can harm your eyes (sensitive areas), hence why they make sunglasses with UV coatings.

If you feel that your corals are sensitive enough to need protection from UV-A, then go ahead and buy UV protected glass, it will make you feel better sleeping at night.

If UV-A and UV-B are commonly found all around us (for example @ the beach, thats why some of us have to wear sunscreen), then I really don't see it as a problem.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OTF, maybe you shoulda asked the regent guys something like, "the glass on my regent fixture broke, is it ok to replace it with non-tempered soda lime glass?"

Ohh..good point Von! Although, I think tempered is a good safety net, but is not needed, unless your running the MH really close (<2") to the glass. Think about the fixtures, they're outdoor floodlamps. Close to 200F (guessing!) at the bulb, and 20F outside in the winter. That thermal change would require tempered glass. In our applications, the thermal change is no where near as drastic.

Kracker - please don't get mad at me...my corals are doing great and realize that I've stated several times.....I went thru this months ago, did ALOT of research, and I'm just sharing it with those who'd like to here.

"I think you want to think all glass is the same..." Hey, when have I ever said that all glass is the same.....? I have not! All I'm saying is that soda lime glass will block all shortwave UV (the bad stuff) 100%...that's all I've said.

"do you think they know we are gutting them? do you think we impact their sales enough for them to write UV GLASS? do you think they care?" Take a deep breath........That was a joke! I know our gutting their fixtures, doesn't amount to a blip in their sales radar. However, do you think McD's cared that their coffee was HOT.....Hello, coffee is supposed to be hot. Yet, All it took was one dumbass (who'd been drinking HOT coffee all her life) to spill HOT coffee on her lap for McD's to put......"YO, your coffee in this flimsy-ass stryofoam cup is hot as shiznit, and will burn your arse!" No kidding...coffee?...hot? They had to pay out undisclosed millions!!!

reefriot quote : "i called the manufacture of the pendant and the glass in them is tempered and UV so that problem is solved." Do you know what question reefriot asked? I told you exactly what I emailed. What if RR asked...."is the glass tempered and UV filtering?" All the guy had to say was "YES". Maybe RR deduced that the glass is UV treated/coated....I don't know.

The bottomline is per "the senior consumer relation representive" at Regent, they use tempered soda lime glass......the same stuff HD sells for $9.97 for a 12"x24" sheet. WOW....maybe someone needs to post another thread telling the 100's of people using regent fixtures.....they're cooking there corals!

thanks von for clearing that up...UVA UVB

OTF, no way guy, I am not mad...not mad at you one bit. I just trying to get a better understanding about glass and have the correct information posted, instead of guesses. And when you talk about liability, I feel we are somewhat liable (me, you , von, rb, dsparks, and others:P) by posting what we've done and know. Its just that I don't want to see Average Joe develop skin cancer, or burn his house down by our misinformation. That's all.. I'm fine.

also, well said about the tempered glass outside temps etc...good info!

no sweat, OTF...my toes are fine!B) hehehe...btw, i emailed him too...just after you posted...and said exactly what von said...von, you physic...using your ESP :P

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 1:15 PM

To: cburns@cooperlighting.com

Subject: Regent Floodlight

I recently broke the glass shield on my Regent QF300 bronze light and wanted to know if I could replace it w/ just any old glass or is the glass needed a special kind of glass?

his reply:Look for tempered soda lime glass. This is what we use with our halogen floodlights. It will stand up to the heat generated by the halogen lamp as well as block most of the UV radiation. I hope that helps.

Chris Burns

I for one think this debate has been extremely helpful. I appreciate you guys doing the legwork too.

My fan showed up today. Once I get installed tomorrow I'll get some pics posted.

/dsparks rolls fingers on desk waiting on OTF pictures/

I noticed that alot of diy canopies are painted white on the inside. Is there a specific reason for doing this? What type of paint is used? I have also noticed inside of tank stands that are painted. Why is this?

Thanks

Well, I painted the inside of my hood white for the color's ability to reflect light (is white considered a color?). Just trying to get every possible bit of light down into the tank.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice work with the canopy! You do great with all your diy projects!

Do you have or remember how you built this and what materials? Sorry if you already posted that, but 4 pages is a lot to read through.

Thanks

Clown1, thanks!

I used basic "project wood" from Lowes. It's decent stuff to work with. I believe I purchased 2 pieces of 2' x 2' x 1/2" oak plywood, and maybe a 1" x 1/2" x 24" of oak board. You can substitue whatever kind of wood you like. Since I painted mine with Kilz it didn't really matter all that much.

As far as putting it all together . . . to be honest I didn't have any plan laid out. I just started measuring and cutting. I'll try to get some better pics for you in the next day or so. Maybe that will help.

BKtomodachi

Wow that is great! I am going to be putting some crown molding on the bottom and top of my ten gallon soon, but with a custom-cut glass hood on top of the molding with holes in it, and room for the fan. I will be using 20,000K XM bulbs with maybe a screw in pc light also. And LED moonlights inside. Cant wait, I'm a home depot fan though, so all you lowes shoppers really should try it! its much better...... Oh and the MH will just be hanging from the ceiling not in the hood itself, for heat issues, this tank is upstairs.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by WmTasker

I noticed that alot of diy canopies are painted white on the inside.  Is there a specific reason for doing this?  What type of paint is used?  I have also noticed inside of tank stands that are painted.  Why is this?

Thanks

Flat white paint is said to be the most reflective surface available for this type of a hood. Someone else could explain this better, but basically its is something like this. An aluminum or high gloss white with reflect light from the top of the bulb, directly back onto the top of the bulb and not into the tank. A flat finish will diffuse the light over a greater surface and send more of the light to the tank.

Seems silly at first but makes sense if you think about it.

The reason though that certain reflectors are so good, such as the sunlight supply T5 reflectors, or the metal halide spider reflectors, is that they are "m" shaped. The bulb is in the middle and the reflector is angled in a way that the light bounces around and then down into the tank.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

hey this is a great project and i was looking at creating a 130w PC DIY hood since it seems cheaper than buying a 2-$400 pre-made setup.

just wondering on how you keep the water splash back or evaporation water off the wires, lights, etc.

I love the open back idea and the open top idea to get into the tank. great job.

hey this is a great project and i was looking at creating a 130w PC DIY hood since it seems cheaper than buying a 2-$400 pre-made setup.

just wondering on how you keep the water splash back or evaporation water off the wires, lights, etc.

I love the open back idea and the open top idea to get into the tank. great job.

• 4 months later...

could you post some more pics of how you used the glass to cover the sides where unfiltered light was going through?

• 6 months later...

Archived