Cultivated Reef

Temperate / Coldwater Fish on Divers Den

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

I've been keeping an eye on Divers Den as of lately and noticed an influx of Japanese Temperate fish. I was curious about what regions they are found in and if you throw the scientific names into fishbase.org you can get some more info as well as some distribution maps.

I will update this with the most recently found fish at the top of this page.

Round Stingray (Urobatis halleri)

p-80503-round-stingray.jpg

Zebra Catalina Goby (Lythrypnus zebra)

p-90036-zebra-catalina.jpg

Catalina Goby (Lythrypnus dalli)

p-70990-catalina-goby.jpg

Garibaldi Damsel (Hypsypops rubicunda)

p-76630-garibaldi.jpg

Japanese Azurio Tusk Show Size (Choerodon azurio)

0727111-368.jpg

Japanese Dotui Dart Goby (Parioglossus dotui)

0801111-439.jpg

Elegant Blenny (Omobranchus elegans)

0720111-367.jpg

Japanese Red Head Tripplefin (Enneanectes pectoralis)

0622111-412.jpg

Steller's Sculpin (Myoxocephalus stelleri) These are actually found along the Oregon/Washington coast line.

0610111-346.jpg

Ribbed Gunnel (Pholis gunnellus) This guy looks identical to the Gunnel I have in my tank right now.

0513111-095.jpg

Malachite Secretive Wrasse Male (Pteragogus aurigarius)

0608111-152.jpg

Malachite Secretive Wrasse Juvenile (Pteragogus aurigarius)

0607111-129.jpg

animalmaster6

I'm really loving the gunnels, triplefins, and sculpins showing up the past couple of months. I just hope nobody is buying them for their tropical tank not knowing that they are temperate.

For some reason I'm happy to spend all day preparing and diving in a cold choppy ocean that makes me shiver and barf, in the hopes of collecting some animals for my tank, while I'm repelled by the idea of paying anyone $68 for a tiny little fish. Those priorities probably wouldn't stand up to rational scrutiny, but that was my initial gut reaction.

I know how much work it is to suit up and catch things for my tank, and I'd sure as heck charge someone else more than $68 to do it if it felt like work, so I can feel the logic eating away at my tight-fistedness already. When I add to that, the thought that it isn't legal for me to keep self-caught California native fish in my tank, I find myself wondering if I can get a deal on combined shipping if I order a few Catalina gobies too. I can see where this is going, and I'm not happy about it.

AquaticEngineer
For some reason I'm happy to spend all day preparing and diving in a cold choppy ocean that makes me shiver and barf, in the hopes of collecting some animals for my tank, while I'm repelled by the idea of paying anyone $68 for a tiny little fish. Those priorities probably wouldn't stand up to rational scrutiny, but that was my initial gut reaction.

I feel the same way :D I would rather spend $68 on gas to go collect my own.

But for someone without that resource, say in Ohio or something, this may be good for them. If I ever set up a tank for non native temperate fish I'll probably look to Japan since they have such an established fishery over there already.

I know how much work it is to suit up and catch things for my tank, and I'd sure as heck charge someone else more than $68 to do it if it felt like work, so I can feel the logic eating away at my tight-fistedness already. When I add to that, the thought that it isn't legal for me to keep self-caught California native fish in my tank, I find myself wondering if I can get a deal on combined shipping if I order a few Catalina gobies too. I can see where this is going, and I'm not happy about it.

It makes sense for some people in instances, like yourself and most other people in California that are not allowed to collect and transport live fish.

Just be patient on the ordering though, I should be able to get Catalinas soon for a rediculous price since I can keep them long term in my tanks, and my ODFW collection permits should come through by the end of the year ;)

animalmaster6

Oh yeah absolutely. Have the fun is seeing what you find :D

AquaticEngineer

Couple new temperate fish popped up on Divers Den coming from Japan, posted pics to the top of the first post.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived