inTank Media Baskets

Howl's Mushroom Forest

nathanq.inc

I do have some zoa's and paly's which was the only thing I was worried about but I guess if I can keep them well fed they should do just fine!

Theoretically they should be fine, if well fed. But....they've been known to eat zoas even when well fed. They can be little stinkers for sure!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the whole thread. Great looking tank, loved the cake too! Your fish are cute, the little male snuggled into the hammer, adorable.

nathanq.inc
Oh my goodness! I've been talking about my next tank and how I want to do a "mushroom experiment" and here you are with a 10g mushroom tank! I plan to use CF bulbs and simple hang-on-the-back filtration. I already have a regular 10g tank and am just waiting until I move in a few months. Your tank is looking dark and mysterious and I mean that in the best way possible, aka you have succeeded at the "mushroom forest." Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot! yeh that's what I'm going for, quite a dark mysterious tank. Mushrooms are my favourite coral and I'd definitely encourage anyone to try a mushroom experiment tank! They would defo be fine with that lighting and filtration (only filtration I have is the rocks in the tank and back chamber! and I have to run my lights at 80%, any higher and they get pretty upset).

The only thing I'd say is that the CF lights will need replaced and if you get slack with the replacements (like every 6 months is minimum) they will encourage nuisance algae to grow! you might be better off trying to make a small LED unit? The lighting also makes the mushrooms POP! lol.

Let me know when you get it up and running! I look forward to seeing it come together :) and all the different mushrooms you plan on having!

Theoretically they should be fine, if well fed. But....they've been known to eat zoas even when well fed. They can be little stinkers for sure!

oh no! I might have to pass on them then... :/

Just read the whole thread. Great looking tank, loved the cake too! Your fish are cute, the little male snuggled into the hammer, adorable.

Cheers! clownfish remind me of little puppies a lot of the time haha, i'll let my mum know her work was appreciated lol.

nathanq.inc
That cake looks delish. Happy Belated birthday.

Thanks! it was delicious, but it took a lot of persuading from my fam to get me to cut it lol.

oh no! I might have to pass on them then... :/

Cheers! clownfish remind me of little puppies a lot of the time haha, i'll let my mum know her work was appreciated lol.

If you have a lot of zoas, I'd be hesitant.

I agree about them being like puppies. I'm acclimating two baby o's right now, for my macro tank. They are adorable little puppies :happy:

Thanks! it was delicious, but it took a lot of persuading from my fam to get me to cut it lol.

I wouldn't have wanted to cut it either :lol:

nathanq.inc

It tasted just as good as it looked so I was pretty happy when I managed to build up the courage (i think the suspense made it all the better haha).

Oh you'll have to show pictures of them frolicking once they are all acclimated!

It tasted just as good as it looked so I was pretty happy when I managed to build up the courage (i think the suspense made it all the better haha).

Oh you'll have to show pictures of them frolicking once they are all acclimated!

Least you still have pictures to remember it by!

I will definitely post pictures later today :)

nathanq.inc
how far are you from glasgow? im doing a study abroad program there this winter

Not far at all! i'm about a 30 - 40 minute train ride. I go up near enough ever second weekend to meet friends up there, you should give us a shout when you are in town! What made you pick Scotland to study in? I'd love to live in another country for a while

nathanq.inc

Temperatures over here in Scotland are soaring! about 27 degrees C (81 F) my tanks temp is also increasing because we don't have air con (usually our summer hots are like 19 degrees C). Nothing seems to bothered by the extra temp apart from my xenia which seems to be pulsing a bit more sluggishly than usual. What temperature should I worry about? my tanks sitting at 81F right now.

I've gotten as high as 85ish with no problems. My temperature is constantly fluctuating between 81-83. No problems with that either. I have to say I'm looking forward to running a topless tank so I don't have to worry about temperatures as much. I still plan to run it 80-82 though. I like the higher temps. since it's more in-line with ocean temps.

nathanq.inc

77 is my usual temp. It's good to know though that the tanks can be kept hotter! now I don't need to worry and can just enjoy the sun lol. I'd love a topless tank, that's going to be my next thing, i want a shallow topless tank with a sump and whatnot. Need to persuade the folks first though.

I'm actually heading down to Manchester in a few weekends to pick up some stuff from this fish store called Abyss, it's meant to be top quality. Looking to basically finish my tank stocking wise! and let the thing mature (although, I'm saying that now... lol).

nathanq.inc

Calcifer the peppermint shrimp was caught tonight and is chilling out in the freezer. He has been upping his bullying on my maxi mini nem who has started moving about a lot because of it and is generally getting stressed.

P1100942.jpg

P1100941.jpg

P1100938.jpg

I'm pretty upset but hard decisions must be made... character building?

Beautiful!!!!!!

My one maxi is moving about without anyone even bothering him!!!!!! :lol: Right now it's at the top of the tank. Jammed itself between the k-nano and the surface skimmer. Apparently it likes it there :rolleyes:

Only problem is it causes micro bubbles cuz it blocks the flow on the surface skimmer. Not all the time though. I actually kinda like the bubbles!

Anything else new here?

nathanq.inc

Hahaha maybe your maxi mini likes the bubbles too and it's just playing with them! My Maxi is now resting amongst the gap and the xenia that are going to need trimmed very shortly! Hopefully I can swap them for some mushrooms :)

Nothing new to report apart from the removal of a pesky shrimp. I'm going to get more coral and fish next weekend though so I should have big update after that!

for now, here are some pictures of my maxi doing this weird stretchy up thing...

a25b1d92.jpg

7e547fd0.jpg

Hahaha maybe your maxi mini likes the bubbles too and it's just playing with them! My Maxi is now resting amongst the gap and the xenia that are going to need trimmed very shortly! Hopefully I can swap them for some mushrooms :)

Nothing new to report apart from the removal of a pesky shrimp. I'm going to get more coral and fish next weekend though so I should have big update after that!

for now, here are some pictures of my maxi doing this weird stretchy up thing...

7e547fd0.jpg

Could be, he likes the hot tub bubble effect :lol: I'm sure the current is nice and strong up there. He's not budging so he must love it :happy:

I'm glad you got rid of the peppermint shrimp. I'll never buy another. I've never had good luck with them. Looking forward to the new stuff next week!!!!!!!!! Oh...fish?????? I won't ask what...I'll be surprised :lol:

You take fantastic pictures, by the way. Gorgeous new ones of the maxi. Love it :)

nathanq.inc

Haha it does look like a toadstool!

Thanks! I'll post pictures next weekend when they are in :) surprise you lol. I'm away to York for the next four or five days as well, hope the tank is fine without me! it'll be a good test for when I leave it for a whole two weeks when I go to Florida! :D

Cool shots!!!!!

You're going to Florida????? omgomgomg

Where abouts? Disney World? The Florida Keys? The Gulf or the Atlantic or both? Florida was our vacation destination of choice, as a kid...so it holds a special place in my heart :)

Archived