SaltCritters.com

Mirage's 12 Gallon Long

MGDMIRAGE

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LEDs FTW! :happydance:

I certainly love their color more than my T5s so far, been running them a little on my 40 Breeder's sump while waiting. The blue mode on the Par 38s is insane, corals just ignite with colors, something T5 actinics just don't seem to do.

Gotta put together my track lighting soon :D

I see promise here :happy:

Thanks Giga :)

The two have joined forces to become one superpower.

IMG_72671280x814.jpg

Got some wicked seams on this match up too :)

IMG_72641280x853.jpg

IMG_72621280x852.jpg

Also touched up the box silicone, looks pretty good.

Thanks animated lego monkey!

Got my track lighting today for the Par38 bulbs... now to figure out how to mount it.. hmm

Thanks animated lego monkey!

Got my track lighting today for the Par38 bulbs... now to figure out how to mount it.. hmm

hmm someone else said that before...was it you? ....want to see my actual lego monkey? because i really do have one. lol.

hmm someone else said that before...was it you? ....want to see my actual lego monkey? because i really do have one. lol.

Haha yeah i said it awhile back. Sure bring on the lego monkey!

but it can't be a gif...i'll think about it.

this was a lego set, i do believe i still have the instructions. motor on it is dying. it's like 8 years old.

cool looking tank!

Thanks, should have it running sometime next month. About to start on stand and still messing with LED's and hood ideas.

Yeah i have two options, i have 4 Par38s 12W dimmable bulbs, or 20 4watt bulbs without optics on, started epoxying the bulbs now so i can safely run them without the optics since optics were holding the LED's to the heatsink.

The par38s would be placed a ways above tank of course, or the smaller bulbs i'd make a canopy and run them closer to surface with no optics, with an acrylic protective shield. I'm kind of leaning more towards using the smaller bulbs and a canopy, as the par38s have very tight optics and i don't want to have to run them 2 feet above the tank.

What is the plan for the return? I may have missed it (I was just skimming through the build).

Great job so far.

i think the 4 bulbs suspended above the tank with track lighting and sharp optics would be the best looking. rimless tanks dont want anything above them ha ha

What is the plan for the return? I may have missed it (I was just skimming through the build).

Great job so far.

Thanks, I'm going to run 1/2" to 3/4" pvc pipe down along side the overflow side. I will try and get them flush against the glass and those should be the only visible equipment in the tank.

i think the 4 bulbs suspended above the tank with track lighting and sharp optics would be the best looking. rimless tanks dont want anything above them ha ha

Yeah I will have to see how well i can get the 4 bulbs to cover. That was the original plan, i didn't want to rest anything on the tank but i also don't want carpet surfers and i was sort of tossing around the idea of putting a couple jawfish in here.

Worked on stand a bit today. Man it sucks to build stuff without a shop and on carpet lol. Not going to overbuild this stand as the tank is only 12 gallons so i'm not too terribly worried about it. Stand is about 44" long and 31" tall, and 15" front to back. I'm going to add three center braces to bottom and top and maybe some 2x2s for side supports. Then I will skin it with probably birch plywood, and final color will be solid white or black, i haven't decided yet.

As of today 7/28/11

IMG_72781280x754.jpg

Another toy i was playing with recently. 4 watt chinese made GU10 LED blue bulbs.

I was thinking about adding these to the setup as well to increase the blue further, there are 9 bulbs(36watts) on that 36" piece of 2x2.

IMG_72751280x707.jpg

IMG_7274836x1280.jpg

IMG_7273853x1280.jpg

Archived