Cultivated Reef

Streetsong's 76g Half-Circle of sps

streetsong

Im waiting for all my sps to brown/green out lol as bad as that sounds - started using redsea reef care program. Basically trying to overload the zooxanthellae in the corals(zoox is brown) to induce rapid coral growth to fill tank out, then change my levels back to normal...interesting concept..but I guess i'll see how it goes...dosing 7 things...testing a million, what fun!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im waiting for all my sps to brown/green out lol as bad as that sounds - started using redsea reef care program. Basically trying to overload the zooxanthellae in the corals(zoox is brown) to induce rapid coral growth to fill tank out, then change my levels back to normal...interesting concept..but I guess i'll see how it goes...dosing 7 things...testing a million, what fun!

I'll have to check out the Redsea reef-care products. I am currently using all aquavitro products. In the past, they have given me good results. Maybe I should try a different 2-part? It is fun trying to keep everything in check when dosing gets complicated (although I try to keep it simple) and then you spend hours testing. I feel your pain.

Yea it is fun - gives me something to do on Saturday though. I test Nitrates Phosphates, calc, alk, mag, potassium, iodide, iron. I just started using it and the redsea pro salt last week. I don't use the nitrate/phos control of the program though - just supplements. Aparently it maintains over 30 minerals at the rate of use...currently dosing 11ml of calc - 7ml alk, 4ml mag & 1.1ml of each(4) color supplement a day...everything has stayed at the levels suggested, and my corals have crazy PE, but we shall see if it was all worth it in a few months. I'm doing a daily fts and going to make an animated gif after a month or two.

Here's the Derasa clam that I found at the LFS this weekend. It is about 6" in length. The owner got it from a tank that he was maintaining at a business that had to close it's doors.

post-45694-1321322615_thumb.jpg

awesome tank!! but I believe this is a crocea clam. blue derasas are usually 2-400 bucks!!

awesome tank!! but I believe this is a crocea clam. blue derasas are usually 2-400 bucks!!

I think you are right, thanks for the tip.

I think you are right, thanks for the tip.

no prob!! awesome tank!! I had the opportunity to buy a 144 gal half circle and lost it at the very last minute.....I was pissed!!

no prob!! awesome tank!! I had the opportunity to buy a 144 gal half circle and lost it at the very last minute.....I was pissed!!

That stinks, the 144g is an incredible tank. It looks even bigger than it really is.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated in a while- Here is what has changed: (In a nutshell)

-I lost a few sps and a few have browned out. I have come to the conclusion that I caused this by not providing enough light. Worrying so much about too much light, I amped up my AI Sol's to slowly and not enough. Now I am at 55% and increasing 5% every week. SPS is looking better.

-Switched from Aquavitro calcium and alk. to BRS 2 part. After a month, I am very happy. pH is more stable than it has ever been. I am saving quite a bit of money too.

-I just got a Seachem Pinnacle + RO/DI filter, so I am in complete control of my water quality. Yea!

-Dosing Aquavitro fuel twice per week (in addition to feeding Oyster-Feast) After one month, coloration and growth has improved.

-Added a new fish- Starry Blenny. He is incredibly entertaining!

Here's a new FTS: I appreciate any feedback, help, suggestions!

post-45694-1332204433_thumb.jpg

I don't know enough about sps yet to give you suggestions... but it's looking good. The rockscape looks natural. This is going to be killer when all that sps fills out!

Hi Brandon, hope the SPS is recovering? So it wasn't the kalkwasser, it was your lighting?

I've heard someone else say kalkwasser killed their SPS. In my tank the culprit was light. They slowly browned out over a period of 4 weeks under inadequate light.

How is spooky the scaredy tang? A friend swears he had a flower horn fish that used to lay on its side waiting to be petted. Flowerhorns are supposed to be very unfriendly otherwise. So fish have strange behaviors for sure, including that foot long zebra mantis video where the guy is just holding him, playing with him and feeding him from his hand. :blink:

Hi Brandon, hope the SPS is recovering? So it wasn't the kalkwasser, it was your lighting?

I've heard someone else say kalkwasser killed their SPS. In my tank the culprit was light. They slowly browned out over a period of 4 weeks under inadequate light.

How is spooky the scaredy tang? A friend swears he had a flower horn fish that used to lay on its side waiting to be petted. Flowerhorns are supposed to be very unfriendly otherwise. So fish have strange behaviors for sure, including that foot long zebra mantis video where the guy is just holding him, playing with him and feeding him from his hand. :blink:

Thanks for your thoughts, Kat. I think the kalk may have been a contributing factor. I think the 2 little fishies reactor that I have worked great. But my corals looked like crap. I stopped using it about 2 months ago. Shortly after, I started amping up my lights. So I don't really know which is to blame. SPS is looking 100 times better than it ever has!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I started dosing 2-part from BRS about 1,1/2 months ago. I also began using the Fuel supplement from Aquavitro and regularly feeding Oysterfeast. All of these factors along with gradually increasing my AI lighting has caused a sudden growth explosion! My new watermelon chalice that is 2 weeks old has already encrusted onto a neighboring rock. I guess that I'll keep doing what I'm doing! I did order 2 BRS 2-part dosing pumps so I am excited to start automating that process. I have had issues with calc. buildup on the floor of my sump. I'm hoping that the pumps will eliminate this problem since they dose much slower than I can manually.

Here's a FTS from this morning: (Better than previous ones since I'm starting to figure out the new camera.)

post-45694-1333904177_thumb.jpg

Here's a question that maybe someone can answer: I just cleaned my sump, vacumed the white flaky gunk from my 2-part depositing at the bottom. I don't have a great deal of flow in my sump in general. I am going to start using dosing pumps this week. Will the problem be solved just because they will add supplements so slowly or is only stronger flow going to solve the issue? hmmm.

Here's a question that maybe someone can answer: I just cleaned my sump, vacumed the white flaky gunk from my 2-part depositing at the bottom. I don't have a great deal of flow in my sump in general. I am going to start using dosing pumps this week. Will the problem be solved just because they will add supplements so slowly or is only stronger flow going to solve the issue? hmmm.

Anyone have any ideas?

Looking awesome! I wish I had some place to put a tank this size!

Thanks! My only challenge was convincing the wife that I "needed" a tank this size.

Archived