Top Shelf Aquatics

TheWand's pictures & photography discussion

TheWAND

Got bored and decided to mess around with my 135 f/2.0 wide open and had a couple pictures I wanted to share.

dandycopy.jpg

daisy.jpg

Maybe this will be a consistent thing. :)

Any comments & criticism are welcome.

On a side note, the bokeh on this lens are amazingly buttery (as an added bonus to being one of Canon's most sharp lenses). No wonder they haven't updated it in the past 15 years.

My next post will probably be me messing around with off camera lighting. Just got my ST-E2 and want to test its capabilities.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dandelion picture is going on my wall since I'm doing a little bit of redecorating. Final product should look like this in a 11x16 print.

dandelion.jpg

the yellow flowers are the white puffy things, like when they grow older or whatever, right?

No the flowers are not dandelions. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of weed that is very common here in southern california. But I wouldn't be the one to ask. I don't know squat about plants.

• 2 weeks later...
Salivating....

Hah. You'll find that good glass and the body you just bought will get you great results. Just remember when you look at the pricing for top of the line glass - lenses don't get outdated. They might introduce a new version with IS or weathersealing, but the image quality doesn't get much better.

Here's lenses you should consider if you ever plan on getting good glass.

Canon 100mm 2.8 L Macro

Canon 135mm 2.0 L

Canon 50mm 1.2 L

You don't have to get the L versions of the lenses, but you won't regret it. The 100mm 2.8 EF Macro Canon makes is excellent as well. I personally want to get the 100mm 2.8 L sometime soon.

Isn't he L just that lens + IS?

No, it's more the inclusion of UD glass, fluorite glass, or aspherical elements to help with sharpness and color aberrations. Build quality will also be better. I've yet to get dust in any of my L glass even though they are not weathersealed (new new version of the 16-35 and the 28-70 are now weathersealed). They are made to last. Some people have problems with focus rings going bad on the lower line lenses, but the issues vary from case to case. L glass will most likely also have more glass in the lens itself and offer wider apertures. Sharpness, detail, and color rendition differ from lens to lens, and the L glass will give the best quality in all those aspects. There are also some really good Sigma lenses, but the top of the line Sigma lenses will demand the same price as the L series lens.

Edit: None of my lenses have IS. If you were making a reference to the macro lens, It's not the same lens. The L has a bigger filter thread, meaning a bigger heavier glass group. The non L lens is 12 elements in 8 groups and the L lens is 15 elements in 12 groups. Also look at the aperture blades. The L has 9 compared to the non L lens' 8. It may not sound like a huge difference until you use the lens for portrait work. The background blur will become much more smooth on the L glass compared to the non L.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Also, my next glass is for sure the 100mm macro by canon. My question to u, what's ur thoughts of the nifty fifty on my crop body t3i

Also, my next glass is for sure the 100mm macro by canon. My question to u, what's ur thoughts of the nifty fifty on my crop body t3i

50mm of any type on any body is great. Being a prime, you won't have to worry too much about image quality, and the aperture - 1.8 and 1.4 on the non L lenses will give you good low light performance and great shallow DOF.

hamiltonra25

that black and white photo is awesome....

any citys or stuff aside from flowers you can take pics of?

if that wasnt a dandelion it would be my desktop....

that black and white photo is awesome....

any citys or stuff aside from flowers you can take pics of?

if that wasnt a dandelion it would be my desktop....

Yes, I'll get right on it. ;)

Went on a hike the other day and had an accidental shutter click while I was walking with the camera in hand to my destination. Turned out nice, excepting the shallow DOF, but it made for a dreamy little shot.

Thebend.jpg

This guy's hell bent on world (or galactic) domination.

Worlddomination.jpg

And here's a shot I took for my 4th of July album cover. Backyard before the mayhem ensued.

119F2478.jpg

Need to get to downtown Orange to get those city shots you wanted to see. I have several places in mind for a shoot already.

Nice pics...I like the idea of getting a macro, but the 100mm one you list is almost a thousand! I think I will have to save my pennies for that one.

Any more cost effective macros come to mind for the neophyte?

Nice pics...I like the idea of getting a macro, but the 100mm one oyu list is almost a thousand! I think I will have to save my pennies for that one.

Any more cost effective macros come to mind for the neophyte?

Yea the non L version of that lens has great image quality. Comes in at around 500 new.

• 2 weeks later...
SouthFlorida_Tron

I've been over on photog-on-the-net and asked L vs non L 100mm macro and the consensus was:

"Yes..the EF 100 f/2.8 USM is a great lens. If you don't need the better build quality and IS (no help on a tripod) of the L, you most-certainly won't be disappointed with it."

I'm not a pro, I'm not doing prints, it's just for our pleasure here on NR so.... Ya, $500 is what will suit me... I'd rather spend the big bucks on the canon 24-70mm 2.8 L :naughtydance:

O ya, and tried out the nifty fitty from a friend, the 1.4. Omg DoF like crazy, buying on Monday!

Hood or no lens hood...

I've been over on photog-on-the-net and asked L vs non L 100mm macro and the consensus was:

"Yes..the EF 100 f/2.8 USM is a great lens. If you don't need the better build quality and IS (no help on a tripod) of the L, you most-certainly won't be disappointed with it."

I'm not a pro, I'm not doing prints, it's just for our pleasure here on NR so.... Ya, $500 is what will suit me... I'd rather spend the big bucks on the canon 24-70mm 2.8 L :naughtydance:

O ya, and tried out the nifty fitty from a friend, the 1.4. Omg DoF like crazy, buying on Monday!

Hood or no lens hood...

You can always buy the lens hood later if he doesn't have it. It's useful for outdoor shoots. Build quality does matter to me especially because at weddings and outdoor shoots equipment will find a way to get wet. 24-70 is a good lens, but you might look into the 70-200 2.8 as well. The non IS version is pretty well priced and weather sealed to boot. Since you have the 50 already it doesn't seem to make sense to getting a lens that will overlap that focal range right in the middle. 70-200 is actually an amazing lens to use for inside shoots.

That 50 1.4 has incredible DOF, but nothing compared to 85 1.2 or 50 1.2 L lenses. But, then the 50mm 1.2 is 5 times the price. :lol: I got the 85 1.2 on deck after buying the 100mm 2.8 L macro, but that won't be for a (long) while I'm guessing.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Lol a bit later I watched a YouTube on the macro L vs non L....

Getting the L now. Sold on waterproof and sharper image quality once picture gets cropped.

I still prefer the 28-70mm 2.8L. Even tho I'll have the 500 1.4 for general use. I already have a 55-250 to cover that range, n my quality preference will be on close range focal length

Lol a bit later I watched a YouTube on the macro L vs non L....

Getting the L now. Sold on waterproof and sharper image quality once picture gets cropped.

I still prefer the 28-70mm 2.8L. Even tho I'll have the 500 1.4 for general use. I already have a 55-250 to cover that range, n my quality preference will be on close range focal length

Not waterproof, weather sealed. It will handle a heavy rain, but try submerging it, and you will have an expensive chunk of plastic metal and glass to do nothing with. The weather sealing is ok for dust in your case, weather sealing against moisture won't matter with the camera body you have.

Also, you should be getting the 24-70 mm lens. The 28-70 is the old generation of that lens, which is what I have. 24-70 is weather sealed while mine is not. Probably won't ever get the 24-70 myself, since I never use the 28-70. But just goes to show how long I've had most of my glass. Most if not all are over 10 years old.

Archived