SaltCritters.com

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

Haha you're telling me. I'm not sure when tap water became poison but it was sometime during my break :lol: I guess I was fortunate at had good water but I used tap in the 75 and it ran for almost 6 years. I used crushed coral, stirred the sand, I'm sure other things that are now terrible offenses too! :D

Now I'm not advocating tap at all, I think RO/DI is far superior and the only thing you should put in your tank (besides salt, sand, rock, coral, and fish of course) just so I don't confuse anyone.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha you're telling me. I'm not sure when tap water became poison but it was sometime during my break :lol: I guess I was fortunate at had good water but I used tap in the 75 and it ran for almost 6 years. I used crushed coral, stirred the sand, I'm sure other things that are now terrible offenses too! :D

Now I'm not advocating tap at all, I think RO/DI is far superior and the only thing you should put in your tank (besides salt, sand, rock, coral, and fish of course) just so I don't confuse anyone.

I remember filling a pitcher from the bathtub for top off (well water) :lol:

We had a 55g FOWLR. The yellow tang in there was one happy customer with endless GHA :lol:

My dad passed away in '94 so it was just my mom, me and my brother left to care for the tank. We didn't do the greatest job. I would occasionally do a water change. We ended up having a LFS employee come in and take everything for free. The only fish were a fat yellow tang and a giant domino damsel. They were actually pretty cool fish!!!!!

Yeah, the end of my tank was after a rogue brittle star ate $200-300 worth of fish and all the cute anemones I had were actually aiptasia -_- it was too far gone and I was going away to college so I sold my fish and coral, dried out the rock, threw away the sand, cleaned up the equipment and thought I'd never do salt again. Who was I kidding? :lol:

Yeah, the end of my tank was after a rogue brittle star ate $200-300 worth of fish and all the cute anemones I had were actually aiptasia -_- it was too far gone and I was going away to college so I sold my fish and coral, dried out the rock, threw away the sand, cleaned up the equipment and thought I'd never do salt again. Who was I kidding? :lol:

I was living on campus, Purdue, and I remember coming home and just cringing at the tank. My mom still loved it because it was my dad's. I kept trying to convince her it needed to come down because it wasn't properly cared for....it took a long time for her to accept that. Really kind of sad.

omg....aptasia...we thought they were the greatest things :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sorry about your dad though :( I understand how that is, we are having a similar issue with the family farm. My mom is the only one of 4 who want to keep it. Whatever happens we got the old family dinner table/chairs/china cab/buffet professionally restored which I think is good for her :)

I was so happy the little nems were spreading so fast! Then my heart broke when they started killing coral I paid for.

I was living on campus, Purdue, and I remember coming home and just cringing at the tank. My mom still loved it because it was my dad's. I kept trying to convince her it needed to come down because it wasn't properly cared for....it took a long time for her to accept that. Really kind of sad.

That's sweet that your dad got you into saltwater. My dad is the one who got me hooked on aquariums when he set up a 10 gallon freshwater that I "helped" take care of when I was like 5. That was my dad's first aquarium too and what's funny is he wanted to get rid of it when we moved but I insisted it had to come with and it ended up being my project. I've been hooked since then. My parent's just roll their eyes now every time I get a new tank or upgrade, haha. My mom came to visit recently and saw the new reef tank and was like "You have TWO now? How obsessed are you?" :lol: I need to introduce her to some of the people in the hobby who have like 5 tanks, hehe.

I like the sense of mystery. :ninja: And maybe it got a few cheap views from people who decided they didn't my 20 :lol:

I think it's going to be awesome once I get some more coral.

Cody told me today he has some pieces of a monti, Xenia, and some sort of gorg. Then pismo's LFS. Then liveaquaria store credit. I know my luck will be they will get the special fish in and the matted filefish will be out of stock :lol:

I think it will be amazing as well! Can't wait to see it full of corals!

I hope the special one comes in soon, I can't wait to see him/her. LOL

It will most definitely be a him, and we are going to have so much fun. I'm going to put him in a gallon zip lock bag and take him everywhere and we're going to be best friends. I've been watching videos of baby ones and omgomgomg:wub: I'm looking forward to it.

And Joe, not only do I likes your tank and your led build, I like your avatar, that movie is hilarious.

That's why dad named you Joe Dirt instead of Nunamaker!

It will most definitely be a him, and we are going to have so much fun. I'm going to put him in a gallon zip lock bag and take him everywhere and we're going to be best friends. I've been watching videos of baby ones and omgomgomg:wub: I'm looking forward to it.

LMAO! :lol:

And Joe, not only do I likes your tank and your led build, I like your avatar, that movie is hilarious.

That's why dad named you Joe Dirt instead of Nunamaker!

Life's a garden, dig it. You can't have no in your heart Mr. Hale. LOL.

That LED build was solder intensive! Geez, I'm glad its over. It looks awesome though. Grow corals...grow!

LMAO! :lol:

I'm going to have to restrain myself from taking him out of the tank to pinch his cheeks... I literally might have this fish for 6 hours at best it's so cute. :lol: I'd settle for hand feeding, hopefully he's not shy!

Life's a garden, dig it. You can't have no in your heart Mr. Hale. LOL.

That LED build was solder intensive! Geez, I'm glad its over. It looks awesome though. Grow corals...grow!

It's a space peanut.

I bet is was intensive, did you also tin your wires prior? I'm just curious because I don't know anything about this stuff. I can attest that coral respond almost instantly to the better light, 90% of my corals haven't looked better! I'm having some problems with too much light I think haha.

I'm going to have to restrain myself from taking him out of the tank to pinch his cheeks... I literally might have this fish for 6 hours at best it's so cute. :lol: I'd settle for hand feeding, hopefully he's not shy!

It's a space peanut.

I bet is was intensive, did you also tin your wires prior? I'm just curious because I don't know anything about this stuff. I can attest that coral respond almost instantly to the better light, 90% of my corals haven't looked better! I'm having some problems with too much light I think haha.

I use the reflow method. Tin the wire, then tin the flat spot on the LED. Touch them together, add heat, remove heat, done. I used to fly RC helicopter (I know, total nerd), so I know soldering and DC pretty good nowadays. Its just a lot of work. No biggie.

Too much llight is possible. I was putting a hurting on my zoas with the ATI T5 bulbs. I reduced the cycle and they are doing better. I excited to see how the corals respond to the bigger, more established tank and the new LEDs. Time will tell.

Dude, helis are cool. I have a cheapy air hogs one that doesn't count but I've flown rc airplanes and nitro cars. People may think it's nerdy but they have never seen a 1/8th scale car do 110+mph or jump over a one story house. Same with helis, what's nerdy about whirling blades of death? :D

That's a smart method. I may venture into it if I need more LEDs down the road for a bigger tank. I just, knowing my abilities, felt more comfortable buying pre made lol.

Nice name. B)

But in all honesty, I think it lacks something.

----------------

What about something like, "Joel's Cape 'scaped 40br" :huh:

Or, "El Roca Cabo"... ? (The Cape rock)

Dude, helis are cool. I have a cheapy air hogs one that doesn't count but I've flown rc airplanes and nitro cars. People may think it's nerdy but they have never seen a 1/8th scale car do 110+mph or jump over a one story house. Same with helis, what's nerdy about whirling blades of death? :D

That's a smart method. I may venture into it if I need more LEDs down the road for a bigger tank. I just, knowing my abilities, felt more comfortable buying pre made lol.

They are very cool, but I spent a small Saudi fortune on carbon fiber blades! I will fly again one day.

As far as the name, your scape reminds me of that scene from Avatar when they are running across that tree branch on the planet Pandora. The look of the plants fluorescing at night is similar to your zoa bridge. Just an observation.

I don't know, this is just a test drive. I'm digging the minimalist nature of the name, just like the scape. We will figure it out.

I also like something steeped in legend like "la Fuente de la Juventud" or naming it around an area of the ocean shrouded in mystery like Formosa (Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis were too predictable).

Just remind yourself fish need water to breathe! LOL They usually aren't a shy fish, should love being hand fed. ;)

I like the Avatar reference used, I totally see that....

I think whatever it's name is, it should be in Latin. Gotta go for the dead language haha.

Joe, thanks for the Avatar reference, maybe something will come from that B) and yes hobbies tend to do that to you! All the fun ones are the expensive ones!

Latin name would be awesome! Something neat and really awe inspiring! :bowdown: to <insert name here>, the amazing talented circus fish! ;)

Seriously I love it!

Archived