Cultivated Reef

Pearls of the Antilles...

lljdma06

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope
I LOVE Rameau! You like opera! Woohoo! Will get pix up in a bit. Uploading them to photobucket. :D

So that you know, it's not livestock... That won't happen for some time yet.

Liz

Some of it. I'm more a fan of his chamber music and pieces for harpsichord. I also like Charpentier (Marc-Antoine of course), Berlioz, and a few others. I prefer the masses to the operas. Some of the choral stuff really floats my boat.

On the opera side however, I'd recommend Kathleen Battle's collection of French Arias. They're really well done! Here's the album:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...Opera+Arias.htm

I used to drive around and blast this album out of the car. Yeah, I was a punk. LOL!

Some of it. I'm more a fan of his chamber music and pieces for harpsichord. I also like Charpentier (Marc-Antoine of course), Berlioz, and a few others. I prefer the masses to the operas. Some of the choral stuff really floats my boat.

On the opera side however, I'd recommend Kathleen Battle's collection of French Arias. They're really well done! Here's the album:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...Opera+Arias.htm

I used to drive around and blast this album out of the car. Yeah, I was a punk. LOL!

Haha! I'm considering programming Charpentier's Caecila Virgo et Martyr for my University's Collegium Musicum. It's my first time directing the ensemble, but I've sung it in a great deal. Was the prodigal son in their production of Charpentier's Filius prodigus and arranged Machaut's Messe de Nostre Dame for them. I sing and like Berlioz, but my vocal specialty is Mahler and other late Romantic German music. Verdi too. Happens when you are only a stone's throw from Contralto. Battle has a pretty voice. Hehe, like the opposite of my instrument. She hasn't been doing much though lately. Shame, the voice was pretty. She is my favorite Oscar in Un ballo in Maschera. I play Ulrica. Like that there are music fans here!

Ok, time for my update.

I got a present in the mail. :happydance:

Courtesy of Monocrhome5...

7ca99ea1.jpg

On the left are two blue LED strips that have an optional connection for a bubble want. Submersible. Could be use for surface agitation too. On the right, the little square, is a fixture with two red LEDs for nightime critter viewing. :D

72cc2c81.jpg

Hehehe, my cat can't stay away...

a010f0bb.jpg

Thanks, Kyle!

Was going to go to Tamarac to Big Al's, but as it turns out, it's under new management and not worth the trip. Will go instead to all my favorite lfs in Miami and buy what I need to finish the project.

Liz

so i just this thread was in the biotopes subform...so is this a chalk bass biotope?

It's a Caribbean biotope/macroalgae/coral/seagrass mess that has chalk bass in it. But no, I wouldn't say that I'm exaclty copying the environment where one would find chalk bass, though chalk bass have been found in places with LR, macro algae, seagrass, and corals. All the corals are going to be Caribbean species, all the macros too. Even the LR will be from FL. I guess I'm kind of combining everything into one environment. When I saw chalk bass on a cruise, they were in an area with LR, corals, and macros. Just a little ways away was seagrass.

Sorry I didn't see this when I was doing my update. So yes, it kind of belongs here more than in the macro section.

Liz

Monochrome5
On the left are two blue LED strips that have an optional connection for a bubble want. Submersible. Could be use for surface agitation too. On the right, the little square, is a fixture with two red LEDs for nightime critter viewing. :D

Thanks, Kyle!

You're welcome! Got the 8 moved over today so the plants will be coming soon...

Also, I noticed your interest in lettuce slugs. I've got one nipping a bit of bryopsis in my frag tank. Great critters. They bask themselves in the light from time to time. It's quite fun to watch.

You're welcome! Got the 8 moved over today so the plants will be coming soon...

Also, I noticed your interest in lettuce slugs. I've got one nipping a bit of bryopsis in my frag tank. Great critters. They bask themselves in the light from time to time. It's quite fun to watch.

Yeah, I am interested. Funny another person got into an argument with me over their care in another forum, insisted that it would eat all my macros and destroy my tank. I was like, no, they have a very specialized diet. Would simply keep the macro they ate in my quarantine tank and then feed it like I'd feed any other organism. I love the lettuce slugs. They are beautiful and the variation is pretty amazing. It's something to keep when my tank is more mature. Would worry about the chalk bass making it lunch, though. Chalk bass, gotta love them. ;) If I gotta choose between chalk bass and a lettuce slug, the chalk bass wins. Can't wait to see what 5 do!

Monochrome5
Yeah, I am interested. Funny another person got into an argument with me over their care in another forum, insisted that it would eat all my macros and destroy my tank. I was like, no, they have a very specialized diet. Would simply keep the macro they ate in my quarantine tank and then feed it like I'd feed any other organism. I love the lettuce slugs. They are beautiful and the variation is pretty amazing. It's something to keep when my tank is more mature. Would worry about the chalk bass making it lunch, though. Chalk bass, gotta love them. ;) If I gotta choose between chalk bass and a lettuce slug, the chalk bass wins. Can't wait to see what 5 do!

Honestly, they don't make much of an impact on anything. At all. They don't eat nearly as much as your average slugs. Also, I doubt the bass would notice it. Not much eats these guys.

Honestly, they don't make much of an impact on anything. At all. They don't eat nearly as much as your average slugs. Also, I doubt the bass would notice it. Not much eats these guys.

Especially when I'll be feeding them such yummies!

Oh, made one of my lists (shopping list, finishing touches) in General discussion...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=276212

Liz

Trochus sp.

Tectus spp.

from the pacific usually, but the rest of the list looks good.

Hi John. Thanks for posting here. I'm glad you found my thread as it's got macro algae and seagrasses planned. Yeah, my source said they were tropical seas, but weren't specific on which tropical sea. So it looks like just Turbos, Strombus, and Cittarium , right?

Glad you like the rest of the list. I wanted a nice balance of species and it was hard coming up with things that were both reef safe, and macro algae safe. I also didn't want to overwhelm the tank with a collection of species. I'm going to narrow this down somewhat. I'm still struggling to find a showcase crab. I know hermits are fine, but I've heard horror stories on the crabs I'm showing interest in, or I've heard that they are great.

Yellow arrowline & mithrax are the species I'm looking at, besides scarlet hermits.

Thanks!

Liz

Wow this is a great plan for a biotope. Can't wait to see what develops as you start to introduce species and alter your plan to accommodate what will be your "final" additions.

Tagging along.

Wow this is a great plan for a biotope. Can't wait to see what develops as you start to introduce species and alter your plan to accommodate what will be your "final" additions.

Tagging along.

Thanks. I'm excited about the project too. Just packed up the last of my plants in the tank that's being converted to ship to a friend. Then, I'll strip it and empty it, clean it and get it ready for it's new adventure.

Hahaha, this is what it looked like as a planted tank.

DSC00690-1.jpg

DSC00608-1.jpg

Hopefully, it'll look as good as the Biotope/Macro/Seagrass/Reef mess that I've got planned. :lol:

Monochrome5

Have you thought about a decorator crab? Could be an interesting little fellow to showcase and would be right at home in your biotope. Porcelain crabs are native as well, however they're tiny and may get lost in there somewhere. Good news is that you could have quite a few in there, plus they filter feed/pick at detritus and the like.

Have you thought about a decorator crab? Could be an interesting little fellow to showcase and would be right at home in your biotope. Porcelain crabs are native as well, however they're tiny and may get lost in there somewhere. Good news is that you could have quite a few in there, plus they filter feed/pick at detritus and the like.

Decorator crabs can be predatory and that's what ruled those out as they seem to feed on everything and get large. I've thought about porcelain crabs and they are an option if I can find a Caribbean species.

Hehe, everybody wants to help me find a crab. I like crabs they're cute. I'd totally have an invert nano if I ever setup a smaller system.

Liz

AquaticEngineer
Decorator crabs can be predatory and that's what ruled those out as they seem to feed on everything and get large. I've thought about porcelain crabs and they are an option if I can find a Caribbean species.

Hehe, everybody wants to help me find a crab. I like crabs they're cute. I'd totally have an invert nano if I ever setup a smaller system.

Liz

Porcelain crabs are awesome :D I have several of the pacific species in my coldwater tanks.

Sweet, thanks! Hope I get some of those in the LR.

Question, what salt mix do all of you use? Was leaning towards Red Sea Pro Coral salt as somebody mentioned that the Mag and Calcium levels are good. Would get the big tub.

Was also going to go with Seachem for dosing the chemicals, as its available everywhere in Miami. Just want to confirm that it's Ca++ and Carbonate that I need to dose. No Magnesium, or should I do that too? I figured with the waterchanges, trace is not needed. Nitrates down the road?

One more question, was curious. If I build up a LR scape so that it has some height, tank is 21" deep, doing a 50% waterchange will lower the water level significantly. I know when I do waterchanges that big in Planted tanks, that they plants are fine for a spell while I drain the water. But what about corals and macro-algae? I imagine the Macros may be ok, but the corals might not be. Will ricordea and shrooms be ok, or should I put them below the 50% mark? Or divide the waterchanges into two 25%? Yes, I plan on doing changes that large. The saltmix is pretty cheap and I'll be making my own RO/DI water.

I know weird question. Thanks. :)

Sweet, thanks! Hope I get some of those in the LR.

Question, what salt mix do all of you use? Was leaning towards Red Sea Pro Coral salt as somebody mentioned that the Mag and Calcium levels are good. Would get the big tub.

Was also going to go with Seachem for dosing the chemicals, as its available everywhere in Miami. Just want to confirm that it's Ca++ and Carbonate that I need to dose. No Magnesium, or should I do that too? I figured with the waterchanges, trace is not needed. Nitrates down the road?

One more question, was curious. If I build up a LR scape so that it has some height, tank is 21" deep, doing a 50% waterchange will lower the water level significantly. I know when I do waterchanges that big in Planted tanks, that they plants are fine for a spell while I drain the water. But what about corals and macro-algae? I imagine the Macros may be ok, but the corals might not be. Will ricordea and shrooms be ok, or should I put them below the 50% mark? Or divide the waterchanges into two 25%? Yes, I plan on doing changes that large. The saltmix is pretty cheap and I'll be making my own RO/DI water.

I know weird question. Thanks. :)

Still need answers to the above questions, but...

I went shopping today and got some equipment.

A Net... so glamorous. :rolleyes: I don't really net fish, but I use nets for herding mostly. Lots of the marines have spines and stuff. Like corydoras.

689e109a.jpg

Gravel vacumn thingy, I use more for waterchanges more than anything.

d8650668.jpg

Long-stemmed algae scraper with a blade.

10e0e6a4.jpg

In this picture... Two thermometers, measuring cups, and a great find at Kmart, vinyl gloves. See, I'm allergic to Latex, get a bad rash, but you need gloves in this hobby.

9c9be708.jpg

In this photo... The Mg test (last test I needed), A two fishes nano magnet (for algae), and a smaller heater to heat the waterchange water.

cbe554c4.jpg

Finally, an important piece of equipment. An instrument to measure TDS.

3a254d2c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Liz

Monochrome5

First off, that little yellow algae scraper is seriously amazing. I got one (minus the handle) to clean an old tank that was seriously crusty with algae and forams. Works like a charm.

Decorators really aren't that predatory. They get a bad rap for tearing things up to use as decorations (which helps spread them, but oh well).

You're fine exposing things to air just as long as is isn't a clam. My most expensive zoas are exposed for 10 minutes or so during my changes and they are still growing like weeds. Just don't let them dry out and you're fine. Most stuff in aquariums is tidal or found in shallows so it can be pretty tough.

I'm nowhere near knowledgeable in planted SW, but from what I hear smaller water changes may be better as excess nutrients seem to be beneficial to macro growth. May want to ask some of the planted folk for their opinion. That, or just do bigger ones less frequently.

First off, that little yellow algae scraper is seriously amazing. I got one (minus the handle) to clean an old tank that was seriously crusty with algae and forams. Works like a charm.

Tank's 21" deep, so the longer the handle the better. Glad I can remove it too, for fine detail work. Got the two fishies too. :D

Decorators really aren't that predatory. They get a bad rap for tearing things up to use as decorations (which helps spread them, but oh well).

My concern is that they get to big too. My source says they're for larger tanks.

You're fine exposing things to air just as long as is isn't a clam. My most expensive zoas are exposed for 10 minutes or so during my changes and they are still growing like weeds. Just don't let them dry out and you're fine. Most stuff in aquariums is tidal or found in shallows so it can be pretty tough.

You're the gazillionth person who's reassured me of this, so I feel much better now. I know I can rough house with my plants, but who wants to rough house with a $40 frag. :o

I'm nowhere near knowledgeable in planted SW, but from what I hear smaller water changes may be better as excess nutrients seem to be beneficial to macro growth. May want to ask some of the planted folk for their opinion. That, or just do bigger ones less frequently.

It's the Ca++ depletion and carbonate depletion, not the nutrient dosing. Evidently these puppies go through these items like a tank full of SPS. Many of the macro algae species I'm considering are moderately to highly calcified, which means they deplete calcium from the seawater. So I need to dose or do large waterchanges to replenish the lost Ca++. Nitrate and phosphorus dosing are also down the road, depending on my bioload. Many macro tanks can have zero nitrate even with dosing, because the consumption rate is so high.

Liz

johnmaloney

it would depend on the decorator crab, there are hundreds of species. Most would do well in a 10g, but there are some larger active ones that need a bigger space. They usually arent in the hobby.

it would depend on the decorator crab, there are hundreds of species. Most would do well in a 10g, but there are some larger active ones that need a bigger space. They usually arent in the hobby.

So the larger species aren't found in the hobby, or decorator crabs in general?

Liz

Monochrome5
So the larger species aren't found in the hobby, or decorator crabs in general?

Liz

The larger ones usually aren't. Reefcleaners sells smaller ones collected right on the Florida coast.

The larger ones usually aren't. Reefcleaners sells smaller ones collected right on the Florida coast.

Interesting, I'll have a look at the website. Would be nice to have an entertaining wittle crab.

Must start to drain the tank and hook up the RO unit. Also, must clean my house and rearrange furniture. I teach at a university, and this year a grad student is coming to live with the family. Saving her a lot of money on rent. Lots of work to get that done and the tank, and do course prepwork. I've lazed about long enough. Time to work!

Liz

Archived