Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help me spend my money too! Stealing a title... Sorry

lljdma06

Saw that title and just had to copy it. :))) Love it! Well, if you click on my sig, you'll see that I've got a biotope/Macro algae/seagrass mess of a system in the planning stages over at the biotope section. I've already purchased the big ticket items, but I still need some odds & ends. So I made a list and not just any list. You'll learn to love me and my lists... :happydance:

Things I have...

Main Tank

-Tank (36g)

-Stand

-Lighting (2x65W CF fixture & 2x14W NOT5 fixture)

-Bulbs for the lighting (2 10k 65W, 2 14W Actinic)

-2 Koralia Nano 425s

-Hydor Slim skim nano

-1 Eheim Jager heaters (75W)

-1 Coralife digital thermometer

-Tank background

-Moonlight

-Redlight

Quarantine Tank

-10g tank

-2x14W NOT5 fixture

-1 Pengin 550 powerhead (14.5x flow)

-Glass cover

-1 Coralife digital thermometer

-lighting timer

Things that apply to both systems

-Test kits (Copper, Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, Calcium, Carbonate hardness, Phosphate)

-Portable refractometer

-RO/DI unit

-Rio 50 powerhead (just an extra one)

-Airline control valve (for drip acclimation)

Things I still need

-Saltmix - which ones do you all like?

-Powerhead or pump for the waterchanges - about 15g a week. 10-20% isn't going to cut it for a planted SW, I've been told about 50% weekly (Barr Report), which makes A LOT of sense to me and waterchanges aren't expensive with the RO/DI unit. Sorry, if it goes against what is normally practiced.

-Container for RO water storage - Thinking trash bins

-Containers for mixing SW & SW storage - Thinking trash bins. :D

-Algae magnet

-Thermometer for the waterchange water - cheapie

-Powerstrip for the main tank (I have powerstrips for the quarantine & waterchange water)

-Lighting timers for the main tank

-Stuff to hook up the RO/DI unit (no clue what I'll need.)

-Something to measure TDS

-Test kits that apply to macro algae keeping

-Chemicals to dose Ca++

-Chemicals to dose trace

-Chemicals to dose kH

-Nets (I won't be mixing my FW & SW stuff)

-airline tubing (acclimation process)

-2 Smaller buckets for drip acclimation

-Waterchanging syphon (again, not mixing my systems)

-10k bulbs for the Quarantine tank

-Aragonite sand

-LR

-2 small heaters for SW & quarantine (but not needed until the winter.

Is there anything that I'm missing? I think I've got everything, but would love to run this by all of you first. Yes, I'm placing big importance on quarantine. I'll be heading to the stores tomorrow and in the next couple of days to find the items. Have at it. I'm excited. Lots of this is Kmart and hardware stores besides the LFS.

Liz

Monochrome5

-Saltmix - which ones do you all like?

I'm a fan of Red Sea Coral Pro for the Mag and Calc levels

-Powerhead or pump for the waterchanges - about 15g a week. 10-20% isn't going to cut it for a planted SW, I've been told about 50% weekly (Barr Report), which makes A LOT of sense to me and waterchanges aren't expensive with the RO/DI unit. Sorry, if it goes against what is normally practiced.

I've got an old Hagen pump you can have (~400+gph)

-Container for RO water storage - Thinking trash bins

Eh. I wouldn't. Something sealable is best. Try checking the LFS for some Blue Life jugs (or bluelifeusa.com)

-Containers for mixing SW & SW storage - Thinking trash bins. :D

5g buckets with handles work perfectly. Just make sure there isn't any metal as it will corrode with use.

-Algae magnet

Two Little Fishes Nano Mag = best $15 you can spend on a nano tank

-Thermometer for the waterchange water - cheapie

JW makes a really cheap one that works fine. LFS has them for $2.99

-Powerstrip for the main tank (I have powerstrips for the quarantine & waterchange water)

Stay away from Coralife powerstrips. They suck. If you need something with a timer, the single timer Coralife is bearable - but barely so. DO NOT GET THE DIGITAL ONE!! It's junk. The two timer one is basically worthless too, as it only has one (yes, one!!) always on outlet.

-Lighting timers for the main tank

See above

-Stuff to hook up the RO/DI unit (no clue what I'll need.)

No idea on this. I buy my RO/DI

-Something to measure TDS

See above

-Test kits that apply to macro algae keeping

The API master kit should be enough... Though Salifert makes some brilliant test kits from what I hear

-Chemicals to dose Ca++

Kent Marine or Seachem are your best bets here

-Chemicals to dose trace

Honestly, you won't need to dose trace. Period. With a primarily macro tank + 50% water changes you will get more than enough trace from your salt mix

-Chemicals to dose kH

Kent Marine or Seachem are your best bets here

-Nets (I won't be mixing my FW & SW stuff)

Anything works here

-airline tubing (acclimation process)

I've got some you can have (complete with a big old suction cup on it to ensure it stays in the tank)

-2 Smaller buckets for drip acclimation

I use a small tupperware container for little things and a 3L plastic pitcher for bigger things

-Waterchanging syphon (again, not mixing my systems)

$5 at the LFS

-10k bulbs for the Quarantine tank

Don't need anything to crazy for quarantine

-Aragonite sand

CaribSea Arrag-alive is pretty much the gold standard here. Color is up to you (stay away from sugar size or smaller)

-LR

There are a number of good online vendors and some LFS have good cured rock. It's really up to you

-2 small heaters for SW & quarantine (but not needed until the winter.

The 100W Tetra submersible heaters are great for water changes and quarantine (they're cheap and pre-set at 78). For your main tank I'd suggest a Jager - they're calibratable and the gold standard for heaters

Hope that helps Liz :D

It does help, Monocrhome, thanks. Will take that pump off your hands.

Will look into the other stuff. You buy your RO? Slacker. :lol:

Are you looking to get dry rock or live rock?

LR. That'll, of course, be added later once the water is situated and all that stuff. Based on what I've read, it's the last thing after all the mechanics of the setup's been done. Barring Livestock of course, which is added after the system has gone through its cycle, and in a specific order sort of resembling the alignment of planets. :lol: I'm teasing. Going with uncured from FL. Don't know where in FL yet, though. :)

I just added it on the list because it seemed logical to have it. It might have been funny to omit it from the list. I don't know how literal this forum thinks yet as I'm still new. Definitely you guys have a great sense of humor. Some threads here are hysterical. I'm very happy to be posting here regularly and I'm learning a lot at the same time.

Liz

Archived