SaltCritters.com

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! I love the 60-F's, a sump would be ideal...I don't have space for one yet but I'll make do for now :). Check my pics out below, I just use a point and shoot Canon (like a powershot) with simple white balance settings:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3643889

I had problems with my pics turning blue too until I finaggled with white balance settings.

Thanks! Phase 1 of Changes will commence next week. I was actually browsing through your thread last night. Love the tank. I'm particularly jealous of your blue symposium. I've been eye balling them for months now, just haven't bit the bullet as I want to get these mods completed first.

I've never had Sympodium before, when I had my first tank set up in '04 or so, these corals weren't available so I'm unsure on how hardy they really are. I hope that they grow fast and cover my sympodium island :) they would be very pretty.

• 2 weeks later...
what do you have the vortech set on?

I've been switching between reef crest and short pulse. Right now it's on short pulse.

Happy New Year everyone! Expect some pretty large changes coming within the next week. 1 change occurred tonight due to an emergency 4 gallon water change. I purchased a new nem last week and kept the pumps off since it was being picky about it's location. I thought it had finally settled so I turned them back on. Well, let's just say a fairly decent sized nem being sucked into a Vortech doesn't go together without disaster. My only hope is I don't lose anything. fingerscrossed

Thanks! I need to get some new shots up. I moved the tank the other day to a new location in the house. I had plans to drill it this weekend and add a sump, but I'm seriously concerned about humidity inside an Ikea stand.

but I'm seriously concerned about humidity inside an Ikea stand.

That does sound like something that would warrant concern. Perhaps polyurethaning the inside of the stand could work. But MDF would probably soak in a lot of the poly. Not really sure how to help on this one. Although isn't the inside of the stands usually finished already?

That does sound like something that would warrant concern. Perhaps polyurethaning the inside of the stand could work. But MDF would probably soak in a lot of the poly. Not really sure how to help on this one. Although isn't the inside of the stands usually finished already?

It's finished, but it isn't what I would call "water proof". The veneer on Ikea furniture comes off pretty easily and I can't imagine it will hold up at all to having water spilled on it and soaking in. Exact reason I put glass on top of the stand just in case there is a spill.

My tank is almost a year old and during regular maintenance I've spilled water on my Ikea Expedit bookcase and I haven't noticed any marks/stains or swelling over that time. I think the Expedit is that wrapped cardboard construction and not MDF on the inside though. I mean if the veneer were to start peeling then I would be concerned.

Have you decided to drill? I currently use the Mame Overflow, but may want to drill my 60f too. Keep us updated!

I may as well. I have all the parts for it and a spare 7.5 gal Mr. Aqua cube sitting around. With a long weekend coming up and some spare time, I can knock it out in a day. I'll keep everyone posted!

My tank is almost a year old and during regular maintenance I've spilled water on my Ikea Expedit bookcase and I haven't noticed any marks/stains or swelling over that time. I think the Expedit is that wrapped cardboard construction and not MDF on the inside though. I mean if the veneer were to start peeling then I would be concerned.

Mine is definitely cardboard construction based on the holes I've drilled through it. Surprising how strong it is given the construction.

Some new photos. I'm not into the scape, but I added the rocks a while ago so I could have more for the sump whenever I decided to drill. I want to go with a more minimalist look eventually. For now, this will have to do. I really need more coral. It's disappointing shopping at my LFS. Why can't more LFS carry decent priced, nice looking coral? It's baffling.

DSC02637.JPG

DSC02640.JPG

Thanks guys! I took some measurements inside my stand. My 7.5g cube is pretty tight in there, and doing anything smaller just seems completely pointless. I might have to think about this one pretty hard. Is it really worth getting an additional 3-4 gallons of water?

qualitycontrol

I had a marineland 45g cube on an ikea kitchen cabinet for almost two years. No problems with the sump and humidity at all. I had to brace it obviously, but a few 2X4's in there and it was strong. I don't think you will have any problems with humidity and the ikea stand. You don't have huge water volumes either so you won't have nearly the evap I had.

By the way I am really thinking about getting a 60f. I do love them and found a dealer up here in Canada. My question is to sump or not to sump. Do I get the lily pipes or not.

I did however see a tank on here with the mame and man is that thing hot!

Archived