Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome Star!

The star didn't make it. It was spitting it's stomache out and being lethargic for two days and starts to look pale. I took it out. Really bummed about it.

That sucks

Ya.. I knew it was a possibility. I drip acclimated it for 3 hours. It was moving around on the glass very quickly (for a star) and looked great that first night. I guess shipping stress/acclimation was just too much for it. I still want to get another star. I might look into a sand sifter or a red fromia instead of the blue linkia, which are hard to keep as it is.

Thanks for the all the praise everyone! I will be receiving my JNS bp reactor tomorrow and shipment with an mp10w and hanna phos checker next week. Now I just need to get some more livestock. I am looking for a red tabling acro, blue mille, and a couple other choice SPS, a second clam, a bipartus leopard wrasse, and a yellow candy hog. I will be working on the livestock after the new year (since I spent wayyyy too much on the tank in the last month on a TA salary lol) Anyone have any ideas for a cool invert to add to the tank?

boosted chemist

A little tech m and that green hair algae is toast. I didn't know you didn't have a mp10 yet, the best part of the cube is mounting it to the back wall. For inverts I lOved my harliquin shrimp bu feeding it stars every month got pricey quick albeit he did take care of my Astraea problem. And it's funny how a ta salary can support this hobbie, I've been selling a ton on craigslist to upgrade some pieces.

The JNS reactor and pellets are in! Skimmer foam crashed immediately. I put about a half cup in, not that much. I didn't want to overdue it.

A little tech m and that green hair algae is toast. I didn't know you didn't have a mp10 yet, the best part of the cube is mounting it to the back wall. For inverts I lOved my harliquin shrimp bu feeding it stars every month got pricey quick albeit he did take care of my Astraea problem. And it's funny how a ta salary can support this hobbie, I've been selling a ton on craigslist to upgrade some pieces.

I will be getting a second mp10. And ya, it is hard to do this on a TA salary, but I have loans and a gf with a full time job to help pay the rent and everything so it works.

I don't have tech m right now. I am using salifert mg salt to raise my mg levels.

Looking good dude!

Ta salary and living in SB, impossible! I'd be glad to have a goldfish bowl.

I make it work. I need something other than teaching, reading, and research lol.

Wow the tank looks fantastic socal.....awesome job

Thanks Rehype!

I picked up a frag of ORA Joe the Coral and a 1.5 inch Snowflake clown from a friend who couldn't keep it. My perc is 2.5 inches. I am hoping that they get along after a few days and pair. The larger perc has been chasing the smaller snowflake around and there has been a lot of twitching and mouth grabbing (they face each other and hold onto each others jaw). If they are both female and the damage is done, I guess I have to move one or the other. I hope it works out because they are both great looking fish. I'll post some pics of the new snowflake when lights come on tomorrow.

boosted chemist

Or it could be one is a perc and one is an ocellaris, How do you like the brs doser? Im debating on getting one, but haven't found my dosing "sweet spot"

Or it could be one is a perc and one is an ocellaris, How do you like the brs doser? Im debating on getting one, but haven't found my dosing "sweet spot"

I have two of the 1.1ml/m doser and I am pretty happy with it. I have them on a timer to turn on 4 times a day for 4 min at a time. It seems to keep things at about 8.6alk and 400 Ca, which I am ok with.

As for the clown, I thought that snowflakes were perc morhps... Well this is great. I guess I will try and get it rid of it.

I got rid of the clown. It was stupid on my part to get an occelaris species... but I never really did much research on the different "morphs" of designer clowns. I thought the snowflake was a perc morph, but it wasn't. I found a good home for it though.

I did a phosphate check with my new Hannah meter today for the first time. I got a reading of .07ppm! I guess I need to do a water change. Could the newly added biopellets be having an affect on my phosphate levels?

boosted chemist

I would look into picasso percs, they are the sweet ones imo, donisreef has some sweet clowns fs.

Im sure your high phosphates are result of your high bio load, ive read that bio pellet take about 6 weeks before the culture is matured. It seems unlike vodka, vinegar, snake oil dosing, the bacteria grows on the pellets in the reactor.

I will be doing a couple 10g water changes over the next two or three days to help combat the high phosphate readings. Come to think of it, it has been awhile since I did a WC.

Im sure your high phosphates are result of your high bio load, ive read that bio pellet take about 6 weeks before the culture is matured. It seems unlike vodka, vinegar, snake oil dosing, the bacteria grows on the pellets in the reactor.

You are probably right. I feed twice a day to keep the 7 fish fat and happy.

I am thinking of putting a GFO reactor online to help combat this. Or should I just keep up with the water changes and hope that the biopellets help keep the phosphates down once they kick in?

boosted chemist

After reading, and learning it seems to me the best reef "zen" would be do water changes and allow the biopellets to mature. Are you running carbon? If not, i would get a BRS single reactor and add some carbon, later if you find you need gfo the you can add it anyways.

After reading, and learning it seems to me the best reef "zen" would be do water changes and allow the biopellets to mature. Are you running carbon? If not, i would get a BRS single reactor and add some carbon, later if you find you need gfo the you can add it anyways.

I have a bag of carbon sitting under the drain pipe in my sump. I think I might get a single BRS reactor and put carbon and GFO in it. We shall see. Getting ready for a water change.

The water change yesterday helped out a bit. Phos is coming in at .05 right now down from .07. Still a ways to go, but improving. I don't want to reduce it too quickly as I noticed a couple branches of one of my wild acros RTN'd overnight. I will do another 10g water change in a week and see how that goes. In the mean time, the feedings have been decreased to once a day (down from twice a day).

I use a few tbsp's of PHOSban FTW. always reads 0

What do you put it in? I just got a filter sock and filled it full of carbon and GFO and put it under my sump drain in the sump to give it some flow. We will see how this does in the next couple of weeks.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well, I do already use chemipure elite, but I found the GFO in it to be useless, so I grabbed a small thing of PHOSban, came with a bag I think, added just a few spoon fulls, and both bags are zip tied at the bottom of the media basket where flow is directed.

I picked up a Blue-Head Fairy Wrasse. It dove right into a hole in the rock after having a spat with my male Carpenter Flasher Wrasse and then the Flame Angel. They will probably be hostile for awhile as they determine the tank hierarchy. TBH, I am surprised the the flame angel is so interested in the new fairy wrasse.

Archived