ReefCleaners.org

HalfPint's 40 Breeder

halfpint

Just looked up the info on the a350w. I think I'll just get one of them. That thing is pretty cool!

It is out yet? Was supposed to be late May, but haven't seen anything yet ..

[edit]MarineDepot shows "Temporarily Out of Stock: ETA 4-6 weeks". Damnit.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4
Just looked up the info on the a350w. I think I'll just get one of them. That thing is pretty cool!

EDIT: I meant a350w. My post originally said a150w.

That's more like it. :D

It is out yet? Was supposed to be late May, but haven't seen anything yet ..

[edit]MarineDepot shows "Temporarily Out of Stock: ETA 4-6 weeks". Damnit.

:(

• 4 weeks later...

Baffles for fuge siliconed in. Drain and return plumbed. Quick leak test for bulkheads performed Sunday. long-term leak test to follow next weekend. I need to cement the drain and return lines into the bulkheads, then I'll be ready to fill her up with water to test it all out.

photo5-2.jpg

Filter sock bracket held the sock below the water line. I made a bracket to raise it up, without putting extras stress on the bulkhead.

photo4-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

Hahaha nice signature.
Thanks. :P

And I thought I was patient... holy cow get some water in it already!
Hey, I had water in it this weekend, leak testing my bulkheads. Pictures coming soon of updates.
Thanks. :P

Hey, I had water in it this weekend, leak testing my bulkheads. Pictures coming soon of updates.

If only this was in present tense. I'm not getting any younger over here!

Are those controller head units flush mounted in there? Pretty sweet.

one is a fan controller and the other is a reefkeeper lite if i remember right.

Are those controller head units flush mounted in there? Pretty sweet.

one is a fan controller and the other is a reefkeeper lite if i remember right.

Yep. Cut out the back side with a router to accommodate the mounting tabs and cord on the RKL.

Darn good job on that. A++ Work. When I tryed doing the same for my stand, I made the RKL hole to small lol was in a hurry. So it goes to show, taking your time is well worth it.

Darn good job on that. A++ Work. When I tryed doing the same for my stand, I made the RKL hole to small lol was in a hurry. So it goes to show, taking your time is well worth it.
Thank you. I've been trying to do this project in stages, and taking my time. I have made some design changes along the way, and I wouldn't have made those changes if I was in a hurry.

What is this temp/fan controller you are using? Looks like something i might want to try out ;)

**Found it**

Fan Controller

That's it. The cheapest computer fan controller with decent reviews. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Making good progress.

Here's a summary of the new equipment added recently:

• MP10 (two of them)
    ECOTECH battery backup
    Kessil A350W
    Smaller EHIM return pump (discovered the one I bought was too strong)

Here are the photos:

40B1.jpg

40B2.jpg

40B3.jpg

40B4.jpg

40B5.jpg

40B6.jpg

40B7.jpg

40B8.jpg

40B9.jpg

40B10.jpg

I'm moving furniture around now, so the tank will be in it's permanent location for when I fill it up. After a couple days running with RO water, and I don't have any leaks, I'll add salt and get my LR to begin the tank cycle.

Wow. This is suddenly looking amazing! Must be exciting on such a long build to be getting so close! Any final stages before it is wet?

Thanks, everyone! :flower:

Must be exciting on such a long build to be getting so close! Any final stages before it is wet?
Yes, I have to fabricate a metal bracket for the back of the stand that the Kessil will screw into for suspension via the gooseneck.

The only other things are to put the final coat on the cabinet doors, and paint the back of the tank. I was an idiot and completely forgot to do it before plumbing the tank. :mellow:

IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU GOT THIS GOING! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR AGES! I like it alot might have to tryout the Fan controller.

dude that looks awesome! now come build one for me, i'm too impatient.

only suggestion i have though is on your drain line. with PVC being so rigid, you might run into issues long term with those 90s. I would replace them with 45's so your water is flowing more smoothly with as little direction change as possible, and it will also reduce the strain on the pvc since it's free-hanging.

I bottled around 12 gallons of RO water tonight. I think I need a new DI resin bed. The water came out with 14 PPM TDS. I also brushed on black on the back. I've never used water-based paint on glass. I doubt it'll last. If it doesn't, it'll be easy to scrape off and put more durable paint on. Wall paint was all I had around the house. :lol:

I need to figure out what I'm going to do about an ATO reservoir. Trying to find something slim enough to fit between the fuge and the back of the stand, or have some glass cut for me, to build my own.

Wow. Looking good. Must be getting excited to fill it up.

I am excited. Taking my time on the tank has turned out to be a good thing. I have changed many little details as I went along, most of which would have caused problems down the road.

IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU GOT THIS GOING! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR AGES! I like it alot might have to tryout the Fan controller.
I'm optimistic the fan controller will be effective. I'll be sure to test how well it keeps the tank cool, as well as how much it increases evaporation.

dude that looks awesome! now come build one for me, i'm too impatient.

only suggestion i have though is on your drain line. with PVC being so rigid, you might run into issues long term with those 90s. I would replace them with 45's so your water is flowing more smoothly with as little direction change as possible, and it will also reduce the strain on the pvc since it's free-hanging.

I'll build you one for the right money. I'm thinking $10k for the same setup. :lol:

I like the idea of 45's instead of 90's. The acrylic hang-on-tank stand is actually supporting the full weight of the PVC. The vinyl return is under slight tension, to relieve pressure off the return bulkhead, as well.

NewZealandReefie

If paint on the back doesn't work out you could try sign writers adhesive vinyl (applied wet, much easier unless you have experience). I've done this myself and it works fantastically.

Archived