Top Shelf Aquatics

Infestation of bristle worms

oneart

when you transfer your rocks, jus dip them in either a hypersaline or hyposaline water for a good number of minutes, so either make the water ridiculously salty or freshwater and that will make the bristle worms crawl out of the rock or die.

when you transfer your rocks, jus dip them in either a hypersaline or hyposaline water for a good number of minutes, so either make the water ridiculously salty or freshwater and that will make the bristle worms crawl out of the rock or die.

That sounds like a great solution! Thank you so much!!

I want to see pics of this tank

keeping a 9 gallon for five years on daily feeding and partial water changes is a big deal...hard to pull off. I really want to see pics to see how the ecosystem has dealt with all the waste and animal life, thats a long lifespan tank, its important to see it. very very few nanos on this whole board are 5 years old, maybe 15 total across a hundred thousand posters?

B

Thanks for letting me know that I've accomplished something challenging. In counting back, the tank has actually been up for at least 6 years, and since we must move (in addition to the worm problem), I'll be breaking it down today. It's a bittersweet moment, but I think my new tank is going to be awesome since I'm upgrading to 12 gallons and the new one has moonlights. (I get my tanks from CAD Lighting, and they are pretty cool. http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=193)

Anyway, I've posted a few pictures, one dating back to when the tank was approx 3 1/2 to 4 years old, and one as of last night (that's all that will fit on this post). The tank is looking pretty shabby in the recent pictures though due to the fact that due to being in a very intense graduate program I lapsed on water changes, and since I knew I was breaking it down, have not replaced the crabs (1 sally lightfoot and 1 blue legged hermit) which died about a month ago. Therefore, I have an algae build up which the sally l was keeping down. On the bright side though, the sun coral and the mushrooms you see have been with me the whole way. The sun coral started as four heads and now must be over 30! When I get the new tank up and running, I'll put up a pic.

Now, to shave my poor mushroom off the back wall where it has lodged!

This is the full tank as of last night. It wouldn't fit in the last post.

post-19952-1313159539_thumb.jpg

post-19952-1313159566_thumb.jpg

post-19952-1313159813_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Nasty Canasta

I've had a bristleworm plague since i set up my DD 24g last Sept.

The rock came from another reefer who had the tank running for over 7 years.

The first few nights I was horrified at the huge number of worms that came out, then they were coming out in the day, then i noticed my clean up crew was vanishing, i actually took pictures of some of these worms climbing the back of the tank to attack perfectly healthy turbo snails, so i honestly to don't buy all this "They're free cuc BS"

I bought a Trap 'em worm trap, idea was you stick some bait in, each night and empty out the worms each morning...well i had to empty the trap and add more bait about every 30mins there were so many!

I reckon since then i must've removed thousands of the damn things, but there's still lots more, mainly the biggest ones, in there!

I've tried hypo salinic and freshwater baths, with little effect, i tried f/w with iodine and that did drive a few out, but again not so many, so i might give the magnesium chloride a go see if persuades the big fellas to leave their caves.

They are the problem as they rarely leave their caves completely, just come out a little grab some food and zip back in again, i've tried using tweezers to grab them but you can't get them out, they just snap and apparently re grow.

A few weeks ago my scooter was feeding fine, light go out he goes to sleep in the substrate as normal...30 mins later i look and he's gone...just the tip of his tail sticking out from under a rock, i used my long arm grabber to nudge him and no reaction, so i flip over the rock and two huge worms were making a meal of him!

So now its war, that fish was so cool and again in perfect health, free cuc?? Yeah right!

Some worms I had didn't die from freshwater bathes. I had some rocks in freshwater for a day and a half. Some of the worms were weak but still alive. I had to bleach and acid/base my rocks to rid of everything.

You will never rid the entire tank of bristle worms. Taking them out manually will only help in the very short run. You should try and feed less so their population diminishes and get a six line wrasse(or equivalent) cause I heard they eat bristle worms.

Archived