Cultivated Reef

Tron's SPS Legacy

SouthFlorida_Tron

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
phi delt reefer

i think its important to recogonize that not all SPS will color up in a tank. I spoke with a local reefer that has nothing but rare and expensive SPS in his tank. He used to get wild and marine-cultured sps and had a 50% success rate if that with them. Countless dollar spent but in the end some just dont do well in tanks. (My LFS keeps bringing in marine-cultured stuff from Bali - he's getting about 50% loss as well but the stuff that ends up surviving looks spectacular. Its hit and miss.)

On the other hand - he's raves about geninue aqua-cultured pieces. Stuff thats been in tanks for atleast two generations. Now he only buys from reefers who have grown COLONIES from frags in their own tanks. This ensures the species is well adjusted to an enclosed environemnt.

here is his tank btw - http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/june11/

From the looks of it - everything is doing fine in your tank except the one piece. My advice - move on, leave the parameters as is or you may end up nuking everything else. Your tank is really small so even the smallest of changes will have big impact. If the piece doesnt end up doing well - chuck it and grab something similar from an established tank.

SouthFlorida_Tron

well said, very insightful... i totally hear u on the state of colors from wild to aqua cultured.... as u can tell from the brown acro (trying to recolor to blue tips, maybe on its way to that!) and then that stunning Pearlberry which is from ORA..... i think thats the last time i buy anything without for sure being ORA farmed....

the params have only been improving to ensure everything tthrives... i went from API kits to the saliferts, so i saw how OFF everything had been. im not really changing anything to the tank params, just maintaining it more properly.

anyways, heres a few more:

Fuzzy

pocillo.jpg

soooo fuzzy

bop2-1.jpg

Orange Digi

digi.jpg

We still dont know what this one is!!!

but look at those Monti Polyps!!!

acro-montipolyps.jpg

Another mystery ID!!!

mystery.jpg

POMPOMPOMPOMPOMPOM!

pompom.jpg

phi delt reefer

yeah tons of nice colors there man - i wouldnt change a thing if i was in your shoes.

unless you are getting an ORA frag on an ORA frag plug (or getting a frag from a colony that is still on an ORA frag plug) I would stay away from ORA marketed resellers. Lots of stuff coming out of the ocean that looks the part but isnt ORA. just like anything else - it its got substantial value there will always be people trying to make a buck off it.

next idiot that tries to sell me a 3/4" frag for $50+ is going to get a double leg kick to the chest.

check your local reef club for an sps addict and offer to buy some frags off him. that what i did - I get quality stuff for cheap and it helps my fellow reefer pay for his monthly maintenence costs. Everyone wins and if it looks good in his tank then its probably got a good chance in your tank.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ya lol, seems to be the trend, on average, the plugs you see were $30-$40, the birds nest which is huge was only $40. SPS arent too bad at my LFS, but the softies, pfffft, my froggy was $80 (I was naive at the time) and zoos are like 30 for a few polyps... One plug with a tiny nuclear green was $15.... A bit much for me even tho they're pretty.

Over on reef central they have a few So Fla clubs, I'll look into that! Thanks again my dude.

:flower:

SouthFlorida_Tron
Amazing tank and amazing pictures!

Thx TMG, very young tank! So the best pictures are yet to come!

I just got a Canon DSLR, so I'm excited to record progress as much & often as possible! Wifey yelled at me last night "get away from that thing, your obsessed!" lol

SouthFlorida_Tron

THX squared!

put a request in for

Bellina

Boreallis

Joe the Coral

& Purple Plasma

and maybe purple Nana cuz its on sale lol

SouthFlorida_Tron
Acros are looking good!

wait til u see whats comin :ninja:

@squared:

$60 per ORA high end acro frag, worth it? i hear yes...as long as its on that black plug!!!

$60 is steep especially being so close to the ORA farm, but it is what it is..... Most go for about $40 here in So. Cal. What does high end mean? I've never heard of a high end ORA frag.

Your tank keeps getting better and better! Makes me want to get back into SPS!!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Eh, it is what it is, my other frags..... " ORA " according to my LFS were $30-40, now all of a sudden these are more. But they did show me part of the invoice availability list, some cost more than others...

I figure if they look AMAZING!!! Then I'll buy em.

SouthFlorida_Tron

@DK

I had originally ordered nanotuners but cancelled after 6 weeks :(

And for the money I was already spending, I think I made a great choice as far as quality and controllability. I'm sure nanotuners has superb build quality but I didn't have the patience for the unfortunate trouble chris is experiencing right now.

Either way, it doesn't bother me open top or enclosed, but I do like how it turned out mounted :P

SouthFlorida_Tron

Yea, I think it definently helps appearances with the mount I used lol but yea, it is AMAZING!!!

Yea, I think it definently helps appearances with the mount I used lol but yea, it is AMAZING!!!

no sorry those LEDs are blowing me away in the wind lol

SouthFlorida_Tron

Thanks dude. Ordering some cool new stuff and hope to have pix next week.

Thinking of ditching that mystery geen one towards the back, to help make room for the borealis and bellina :)

Still need to add pix of the nuclear green pally polyp I found, we'll see if it's open tomorrow!

SouthFlorida_Tron
When do the new ones come in????

Supposedly next week. A rep from ORA drives down from ft pierce n delivers to a few shops.

Joe the coral, bellina, & borealis! Like $60 each, liveaquaria is $70 each for tiny frags...

The tank is looking great. I am interested to see how these ORA pieces you are getting look.

BTW, that green mystery frag you have looks a lot like a setosa?

SouthFlorida_Tron
The tank is looking great. I am interested to see how these ORA pieces you are getting look.

BTW, that green mystery frag you have looks a lot like a setosa?

Thanks bro, I can't wait.

Fact is, no1 knows. I just call it a Setosa lol, it is encrusting for sure... Pops under blues too

Glad I caught your thread. I have pretty much the exact same setup (rimless 14 g with JBJ lit fuge) but I waited 10 months before canceling my nanotuners hybrid order and won't get my Sol Blue until next week. Seeing all the growth that you've had while I sat around with a dark tank makes me a little more pissed at tuners for the 10 months of "it's out to the anodizer". Anyway, thanks for the mounting advice. Are the brackets into studs or did you just use drywall anchors?

Archived