ReefCleaners.org

Petey's Reef 6G in SAN DIEGO!

clayphx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
love the new edition! Beautiful polars BTW!! you should get a micro shot ;)

Hey thanks! I love the Polars, too! One of my faves (and most expensive). They seem to not be as bright as they were. I have only been dosing with nutrients for a few weeks.

Here they are today. In the Zoa Garden with a new mushroom!

Zoa%20Garden%20Shroom.JPG

And a zoom shot! B)

Polars.JPG

The kept falling over/getting knocked and fell somewhat upside down so I left it. The "stems" are quite elongated as they reach towards the light. That shouldn't affect change the color....or does it?

Any names for the electric green ones???

PS See the Black Crystal Death? :ninja:

Wow those are looking great! What have you been feeding them? Have you noticed any new growth?

And I think those electric green zoas are radioactive dragon eye zoas

I think you are right. SO many. I had another variation that I burned to death with super glue. Ugh. Felt so bad.

The food/supplement that really made a difference is the H20 Life Coral Food Mix

I also use Reef Nutrition's Oyster Feast. It is very micro though. When I feed with the other, EVERYBODY eats! Pip, the new Barnacle Blenny, is a riot at feeding time. Why do you think I named him Pip?

Tank looks great!

My Toadstool goes through phases where he looks like yours as well. Not sure why that is, but he always bounces back. My Tomato Clown hosts in the Toadstool. The weirdo.

111lwp.jpg

Tank looks great!

My Toadstool goes through phases where he looks like yours as well. Not sure why that is, but he always bounces back. My Tomato Clown hosts in the Toadstool. The weirdo.

Awwww...that's cute. My GCG somewhat hosts the frogspawn. I think there's a pic in this thread. (Last photo in Post #8).

THANKS for the input on the toastool. I have been worried since the cyano spread. I have been reducing it with flow and baster blasts. It sure seems strong (both of them I guess)!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting one. The green favia brain skeleton I put in as live rock 4.5 months ago?

I see some wee tiny feeder tentacles! They are only along the edge of a small area. I'm still trying to grasp "where it is" with favias.

Not sure I can capture them on film they are so fine and white. I would not even know what they were but I added a favia frag to the Nano Cube.

I am pretty amazed. :o

New FTS with new LEDs at the top! Here's a shot minus the canopy.

I sort of like it this way (as soon as I replace the pink zips)! Sort of un-Edge without it!

The LED light is SO crisp but the blue softens it up. B)

IMG_3724.JPG

mobilehurricane

Awesome tank, I'm sure you have it posted somewhere, but I would really like to see how you added the recent led strips!

Awesome tank, I'm sure you have it posted somewhere, but I would really like to see how you added the recent led strips!

Thanks!

Good time to ask. I am finalizing the install. To appreciate THIS mod, you should see the first one. In that mod, I sawed off the lower housing for the stock MR11s to make room for the CFs.

That back story will help what you follow. I have a lot of electrical tape holding things in place. Am making sure I like the placement of the third strip.

IMG_0002.JPG

The first two are inside the ridge of the boom. Two fit nicely. Three was crammed but the surface is level. So, I used the provided screws and mounted the first two.

One bummer item...I noticed the blue LED on one strip has a dark spot right in the middle (middle LED, bottom strip). Defect or damage?

It should not have a great effect overall, I suspect. In fact I added the all white strip because it was way too blue for me with two white/blue strips.

I won't know how things look for another hour or so... tick tock tick tock ...

IMG_0003.JPG

I used some non-skid furniture pads to create a standoff to level the area for the third strip. That's the last "beta" element. If that works, I will mount it to the standoffs using the provided tape. You can see the saw mark, too. Glad I kept the part!

IMG_0004.JPG

I had drilled holes on the previous mod so I'll just use heat shrink to finish this and run the wires down the Edge column.

IMG_0006.JPG

And voila!

IMG_3749.JPG

At first I wasn't sure as some of the softness went away. But, the crispness and blue hue (also accentuated by Chemi-Pure Elite I believe) is almost surreal. The corals LOVE it. I hope my Duncan opens again soon to lavish. B)

mobilehurricane

Thanks for the added info on the LED install. I did some searching about the strips online and think I found the ecoxotic forum where you asked if 2 would be enough or to go with 3.

I'm hoping to pick up the tank next week and try the mod myself. In addition to the three strips, did you also order the transformer and splitter?

Thanks for the added info on the LED install. I did some searching about the strips online and think I found the ecoxotic forum where you asked if 2 would be enough or to go with 3.

I'm hoping to pick up the tank next week and try the mod myself. In addition to the three strips, did you also order the transformer and splitter?

LOL. Yep! That's me. They haven't answered though.

I did not get the splitter and transformer. I knew I would be cutting the connectors off and wiring it myself. Used a generic power adapter. It depends on what you're comfortable with.

With my 24G and the Pro strips, I DID buy the adapter and splitter.

Does the Ecopico LED get hot? I see that they were used on the Ecopico arm but I have no idea if the arm act as heatsink or not, can the LED just glue on the Edge lighting arm?

Does the Ecopico LED get hot? I see that they were used on the Ecopico arm but I have no idea if the arm act as heatsink or not, can the LED just glue on the Edge lighting arm?

They come with heat resistant sticky tape and two small screws. And YES they get hot! As in "did I just burn my finger?" hot so be wary. I used a single screw on the first two (mounted to the boom). I only used one bc I wasn't sure about the heat issue.

The third is mounted just behind the rectangular boom and is mounted on both sides with the sticky tape (to the spongy standoffs). That one...by happenstance...has the best position for heat release.

I haven't noticed any heat build up but there are 3 holes in the top of the boom. I'll check that out.

I really like the light! I DID manage to f'up the blue light on one strip. No warranty bc I cut the wires, not their transformer, etc. No big surprise there.

Oh well...one blue and 7 white look awesome. I bought the all white bc the 2 white/blue was TOO blue for me. I use Chemi-Pure Elite. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. They claim a blue white crystal clear hue or similar and it's true!

I tried Super Strength hot glue for mounting the Pro LEDs and that did not work. Used contact cement to adhere the rubber standoffs to the hood and then screwed into the rubber. I would not want to used contact cement on the picos though. They are so light there are many solutions. A zip tie will take care of a lot in seconds!

Using zip ties to finish off here. They come up the side and then down the back. I have these going behind (vs down the tunnel/shaft) and have quick disconnects on the lighting.

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

I moved the moonlight LEDs (formerly 6 down to 3) into the center of the boom. Neatens it all up quite a bit!

Previously had them mounted inside the front edge of the cover.

IMG_3775.JPG

Nice clean install I like it, cost?

Nvrmnd found them

http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/product/vi...ht/category/17/

Thanks!

I bought the picos at different places but they average $25 x 3 = $75. Using a generic transformer - $12 and have a separate one on the moonlights x 2 = $24. The 3-LED strip was uber cheap. Like $2? I used a couple of zips and some rubber pieces from the goodie drawer...LOL...and that totals...cha-ching: $101.00

Not bad and it was relatively simple. Can't imagine why you'd drop $300 on the nanotuners unit but I guess I'm a DIY/on-the-cheap kind of guy.

Seriously though, there is a LOT of light in there and room for another strip or you could change them all to white. B) I only have one all white!

PS Here's the site for the moonlights. Only $3 for a strip of 6 that you can snap in two. Three for each is plenty. They're quite bright. With a variable power supply, you get a rough "dimmer"...about 4 brightness levels as you step down the voltage from 12.

Archived