Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Petey's Reef 6G in SAN DIEGO!

clayphx

11/4/11

We have relocated to San Diego and everyone is VERY happy! Petey's has been running since 10/23. The cooler method with a battery powered air pump was flawless. No casualties!

IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

Petey is being hosted by the amazingly beautifully, recovered and quite happy Toadstool!

Hello all,

Welcome to Petey's Reef. It's my first SW tank and named for its first fish inhabitant!

Here are the stats:

Fluval Edge, 6 gals - started 4/4/11

6 lbs live rock/3 lbs lace rock

Stock 3-stage filtration

Custom mod: Two 50/50 CFLs &two MR11 160 lumen LEDs on boomBlue LEDs strips in hood

Hydra Koralia nano 240 gph

Ocellaris clownfish- "Petey"

Clown goby - "Benny"

3 Hermit crabs

2 turbos, 4 nerites, 2 ceriths

Emerald crab

Serpulid feather duster

Star Polyp

Tiny Pulsing Xenia frag

Duncan

Toadstool leather

3 mushrooms

Frogspawn

Green Star

Blue Waving Hand Xenia

Zoas/Palys

Eagle Eye

Polar Ice Caps

Day Tripper

Radioactive Dragon Eye

Black Crystal Death (2 hitchhiker polyps)

Green Implosion Palys

"Snake Eyes" (Just a holder name. Haven't found anything close. Looks like snake skin and green eyes.)

"Electric Green" Zoa

Future Adds:

ONE of the following:

- Catalina goby (maybe 2 here)

- Twin spot goby

- Watchman goby/shrimp pair (will need to add substrate)

I think that would max me out on fish.

Thanks for the advice and support. I have a new passion! B)

Full tank shots follow or jump to the inhabitants close-ups here.

Initial Setup

5723095892_951cdd92a0_b.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the scape! The dead coral looks really cool. Any chance we can get a peak under the hood to see exactly how you have everything wired ('specially the blue LEDs)?

Oh and for inserting images you have to host them somewhere like photobucket or flickr. Then you can copy the images url and insert it with "" tags

This is the first Fluval Edge I've seen that I really, REALLY like!!!!!! Nice job!!!!! I think your red wall background really makes the corals in the tank stand out. The colors are perfect and love the Toadstool a lot!!!!

I like the scape! The dead coral looks really cool. Any chance we can get a peak under the hood to see exactly how you have everything wired ('specially the blue LEDs)?

Oh and for inserting images you have to host them somewhere like photobucket or flickr. Then you can copy the images url and insert it with "5722540529_a841b0b412_b.jpg

This is the first Fluval Edge I've seen that I really, REALLY like!!!!!! Nice job!!!!! I think your red wall background really makes the corals in the tank stand out. The colors are perfect and love the Toadstool a lot!!!!

He is beautiful when he's happy. After some changes, he's waxed over. I now realize that is his PERMANENT place. He's attached to both rocks!

Just got lucky on the paint color I guess. B)

The inhabitants of Petey's domain!

The Traveling Mushroom.  He floated himself down in there.  Was in a cave for several days.

5723599827_f50a0f4793_b.jpg

Polar Ice Cap Zoas.  Stunning.  One of my faves! You can barely see the Crystal Black Death Zoas along the right edge.  One is slightly open.  Need to adjust that.  What a weird combo!  Well, maybe not!  Fire and Ice!

5724145042_9d7f83becb_b.jpg

Eagle Eye and Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas (I think)

5723589913_53870efb14_b.jpg

Pulsing Xenia Frag - Do these really grow fast?

5724144286_c45e471a96_b.jpg

Happy Toadstool (last week...he’s mad now

5723585819_68834ef026_b.jpg

Mad!

5724143894_ac352b9acc_b.jpg

Day Tripper Zoa and Red Mushroom

Have only had the Zoa for a few days. Can’t wait till they all open!

5723588639_8a1eefd4c0_b.jpg

Star Polyp

5724142836_f313848ed3_b.jpg

Duncan

5724142378_c441d919fd_b.jpg

Frogspawn - there are four heads under there!

5724141986_f605494827_b.jpg

Mushroom and Zoas

5723586853_3733c15731_b.jpg

More Radioactive Dragon Eyes - a frag of a frag

5724141036_1351b79956_b.jpg

And finally...Benny!

5723586105_b8b67b6102_b.jpg

5725062682_d4d164ab64_b.jpg

The Cool Emerald Crab - he visits EVERYONE. He sleeps on the Toadstool sometimes!

5724650964_283752671f_b.jpg

Feather Duster - at his peak - He's now healing after a Nassarius ripped off part of his plume. It was horrible. No Nassarius in my tank anymore!

5724650460_f5e56d182f_b.jpg

And one of the most important - Kilau, the Bangaii Cardinal So beautiful and I thought he was fine. Petey was fine with him, too. Died in 6 days. I cried. :huh:

5724094921_2cee61a876_b.jpg

I really love keeping these critters though. There will be losses and great successes!

New Paly and Green Star

paly%203.JPG

Green%20Star.JPG

Frogspawn hosting Benny, the GCG!

goby%20frogspawn.JPG

Subscribed :)

I love the warm tones in this tank. It really looks well put together and thought out.

How long have you had the duncan and how are you liking it? I saw some for sale around here recently and was thinking about it. I love your little GCG. I had one for a little while. Poor guy, I brought him home from the LFS and before I even had him in the tank, I looked him over and thought ohhh... you're not looking to great. Little skinny and bumpy. Wish I'd gotten a better look at him before I purchased. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

Subscribed :)

I love the warm tones in this tank. It really looks well put together and thought out.

How long have you had the duncan and how are you liking it? I saw some for sale around here recently and was thinking about it. I love your little GCG. I had one for a little while. Poor guy, I brought him home from the LFS and before I even had him in the tank, I looked him over and thought ohhh... you're not looking to great. Little skinny and bumpy. Wish I'd gotten a better look at him before I purchased. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

Wow, thanks! I have had other aquariums but never SW. I haven't watched TV since I got it. LOL. LOVE IT.

Very sad about your GCG! They are funny. I saw Benny sort of sitting on the rocks and wondered. But, that's what they do, right? He's only been here for a day!

Love the Duncan. My first "major" purchase so he's been around for three weeks or so. He has been closed up a bit lately. Have read they just do what they do. Very fun when feeding the tank shrimp. They sop them up and get all fat and happy!

A must for a SW aquarium IMO. Relaxing and lovely to watch!

Awesome new pics....have I mentioned I really, really like this tank? :D

If GCG's are anything like the yellow or citron, they need to eat a lot.

Will definitely be following Petey's reef! I have a Petey too...only mine's a Tailspot Blenny :)

Looks great! I love the gcb, I had one in my first tank. I love their behavior!

Thanks! You will love this photo then. I too really enjoy the goby!

goby%20frogspawn.JPG

I guess this frogspawn is now "hosting"?

Not sure how to post new yet still keep #1 post updated...hmmmm...regardless...pics of new stuff!

Here are the Electric Green (?) zoas...notice there's a blue one...bottom right and a swirlish one. I guess this is the frag experience?

Electric%2520Zoas.JPG

Here's the much happier and healthier Trumpet!

Better%2520Trumpet.JPG

And the ever-entertaining GCB, Benny! He is too fun. :lol: I believe every tank should have/try one.

Fun%2520Benny.JPG

New FTS. Some new goodies too!

I ended up with a couple of brittle stars. One micro and this one:

2nd%20Brittle.JPG

But then I found this disgusting thing. Thank God it did not go in my tank. I think it's called a red worm or something. I do not know but lemon juice kills it. I kept it alive for a bit but it was just creepy. Sort of evil looking. :mellow:

Leach%20worm.JPG

It has been a busy day on Petey's Reef. The critters came in on a freebie "do you think I can save it" deal. I have a feeling this happens a lot in this community. Si? ;)

Here's what's left of what was, I'm sure, a gorgeous Blasto. I did not recognize even what it was. Long story, short...that's not going to happen...when I dipped this one, out came the digusting worm thing. It smelled the shrimp. Glad it lured him out. The Brittles came from him, too.

Rescue%20Blasto.JPG

I left it in "quarantine" for a good long time wondering if I wanted to take the risk. Is it really still alive? There were three heads that fell off. I watched and the DID respond...curling up...I could see a wee mouth. I tossed them in. I think at least one will live!

Here's another shot. It's zoa-like color and shape is what first caught my eye.

Rescue%20Blasto%203.JPG

My main purpose for the trip was a Craiglist seller...some guy was tearing down a tank for a friend that became ill...tank not well cared for...REALLY?...main purpose was...Ricordea!

New%20Ricordeas.JPG

The one on the right has buried himself in a nook among the LR. The colors are amazing. Will he come out? I guess he's just a fancy mushroom.

I ended up with another slight neglect case but it's my first Acan. It is HAPPY to be in my tank. I did not know what to expect and can't wait to see him fluff up. The burnt umber color is beautiful.

Acan%201.JPG

Finally...lol...some very cool news. I noticed these little spots on my tank glass...little PINK spots...and now that I had my "a-ha", I see bright pink and green throughout my tank. This is a rite of passage for a tank, yes? B)

PS Got it all for $31.

I had nassarius snails tear apart and kill 3 perfectly healthy feather dusters. I hate those bastards.

That evil thing you said you killed looks like a spaghetti worm. Not evil, very helpful actually as they are detritivores and keep the sandbed clean. I woulda kept him, but oh well. Nice tank dude.

WillWork4Frags

Tank looks great! I especially love that brain coral rock. Are you planning on upgrading the lighting?

Tank looks great! I especially love that brain coral rock. Are you planning on upgrading the lighting?

Thanks! I did. Theres a link at the top. 2 10 watt 50/50 CFLs and 2 MR11 bright white LEDs. Working out great!

Archived