Coral Vue Hydros

A Finally Five Gallon

Chyendra

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've still got a bit before I can stock.... I want to give the tank a bit of time to adjust to the MH (algea cycles and what not) But I think i'm going to add a group of zoos as my first corals. I'd do mushrooms, but I don't want to fry them with my lighting. I need a few more snails as well.

actually I have already installed two computer fans and they keep the tank really cool! I had to turn my heater up so that the temp wouldn't fall below 78

TheEvilbbug

wow, ya, that is like up there, not U.P. there. but damn. hope you get out of winter soon, weve been in swimming in the lake a couple of times here in Nor.Cal gotta love this state!

upon request. Here's an update. I Haven't added anything new, but i've been working on my water params and trying to get them stable and with in the proper ranges.

My PH has been swinging too much and has been getting to high (8.0-8.8 ) so I've put a light over my fuge set on a reverse photoperiod. I've shortened the photoperiod of my MH which was 12 hours down to 8 hours. I add a slight amount of vineger to my makeup water when I did my water change today, so that should help lower the PH as well.

My alk was good at about 10dkh, but my calcuim was low at 320. I decided to buy some reefchem "reef complete" To raise my calcium. I added the suggested dosage to my topoff water, and it will slowly be added to my tank. This porduct (so i've read) is best used for raisieng calcium levels, and later when I have corals to use the calcium, I will use B-ionic to mantain calcuim levels.

My amm and trites are at 0 and my trates are barely noticeable. Since adding the Cheato my Phosphate have dropped from 2 to .5 and I expect it will continue to fall.

I'm giving my tank a few days to stableize and I'm going to test again. Hopefully my ph will have settled down.

I think I'm going to get a couple of zoos next time my paycheck rolls around, and also a 13w actinic pc. :)

Thanks! it's been a month now, and I have a few cute zoos picked out on-line that will hopefully still be there next week when I get my paycheck.

After the halide was off last night, I found two little brittle stars! They are so cool! They love the small chunk of chaeto in the corner of the tank.

my cruddy digital camera actually took a decent picture of the little guy.

Where did you get the MH?

I am thinking about making my own tank from scratch... are there sites that I can use to research MH?

Just a tip incase you don't know already. Petsupplyliquidator.com has 70w HQI metal halides for $25. Might save ya some money if you didn't know about them already ;)

edit: and for such a small tank, it'd be worthwhile to buy catalina sea water from petco. It's like $2/ gallon, but for such a small tank, it wouldn't be expensive. Sea water is always better to use than synthetic salt mixes. I think you'd see a difference in coral quality.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, nice set up. I have a few questions about how you set up the MH.

I am upgrading the lighting on my 2.5 gallon to the 70w as well. I saw back in your post with the hood photos that the sides are 6 inches high, have you found this to be high enough? How far away is the light once it was mounted in the hood from the water? Can you post some more photos or describe what mods you made to the fixture. You had said you were going to do regent but then it just looked like the reflector. I assume you just removed reflector from the metal housing and mounted it. How did you mount the glass below the bulb?

I was thinking of doing this(just use reflector w/o the housing) for my tank. I have not actually held one of the fixtures to see exactly how its put together.

It seems as though your two fans are taking care of the heat, are they still doing so now that it is getting a little warmer? I plan to install two 40mm fans into my hood.

On a different note, are you planning on taking your tank to school with you in the fall? I am a sophomore at Skidmore College, and last year I missed my tank at home so I started my 2.5 last May to bring to school with me this past fall. I love having a piece of my reef with me. I have mail ordered all the lighting gear (ice cap ballast, ushio, fans, LEDs etc...) and its waiting at home for me to put together when I finish my exams and get home this Wednesday.

Jerome

C Jerome:

Lots of questions, I'll try to answer them all.

The hood is a little over 6" tall and I keep my water line lower, to get more ripples out of my HOB, so I imagine the blub is 4.5"-5" above the water. I'll measure exact tomorrow. I'm not sure If this is too close or not, I don't have any corals yet (hopefully tomorrow!) But They WILL have to be carefully acclimated. I'm getting a bit of purple coraline growth so thats a good sign.

Of the regent type fixture (it was actually a 500 watt halogen floodlight, not regent brand,) I used the ceramic sockets, the reflector, and the UV filtering glass. Mounting the glass took some creativity, Pics will help show what we did better.... I'll try to take some tomorrow, and then explain it.

It hasn't gotten terribly warm in my area yet (in fact there was about 15 minutes of snow today) so high temps have yet to be an issue.

Yes, I'm planning on takeing my tank with me... along with my turtle tank (20L). I'd take my 40 gallon cichlid tank too if i could But i think that would be a bit much. :) I hope i will beable to find a good ro water source in my area, and i'm also praying that there won't be any power outages. (or electricity restrictions :) )

I got a 13watt PC retro and an actinic bulb from hello lights that i'm waiting to install. But the ushio bulb is a nice color, nice white, but i like the tint of blue :)

Tomorrow night I will Update with pics of the tank, my new corals (hopefully) and better pics of the 70w MH mod and explanations.

I'm sorry jy48 I can't help you with the photos, they seem to be working for everyone else... :/

Thanks for the info, I look forward to seeing the photos. Do you know the name of the 500w flood light that you used? I too am going to supplement with actinic. I ordered two acitnic o3 13w bulbs from hello lights, they have already arrived at home, I am going to get those HomeDepot ballasts to drive them.

I hope you have a big dorm room, because a 20L takes up a big foot print, you might want to check with the school and see if they have any restrictions on pets and what not. I have found that most schools say you can have fish in up to a 10 gallon tank, or some say 20. You dont want to show up with some turtles and then have to have your parents take them home.

Jerome

My school only allows fish, but they didn't give me a tank size restriction. We each get our own desk, and since My computer is a laptop, I won't need it for my computer, and can set my tanks on it. I'm going to make sure my roommate is cool with it before i bring them. (and if not I can always get a new room mate :) )

Anyway, What we did with the glass is build two little wooden blocks for the glass to attach to. We made it first, and then had to make the blocks taller so the glass wouldn't hit the bulb.

Here's a pic

The glass has a frame around it that I kept on, and on the front it had a little spot for a screw that I screwed into one of the blocks.

The back was a little more difficult. The frame had two little hinge things that originally conected to the metal worklight fixture. We used special staples to suport the little hinges and stapled them to the other block of wood.

Heres what the back looks like with the glass frame attached to the blocks.

Sorry for the blurryness

I see now. Is the socket attcehd to the wood as well? Did you do this(only mount the reflector) because the whole fixture took up more space?

Archived