Top Shelf Aquatics

A Finally Five Gallon

Chyendra

Hello! I just wanted to ask about your RES do you still have it? I have 2 RES. I had my turtles in my 29 that I am planning to use for saltwater and I was wondering how did you clean out the aquarium prior to SW?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did you use gloss or flat?

actually the black was flat, and the blue was glossy... I didn't even think about it whil i was painting. You can't tell te difference between the two, so I'd say either would be fine. Any brand works as well. I just bought the cheapest i could find. I bought the exterior kind just in case.

I'm not sure about how it would stand up to scratches and the such. I put a piece of tape on the back where my hob rests so that it didn't scratch the back. If you have any spare acrylic, try painting that first and then test your magnet scrubby on that.

I just wanted to ask about your RES do you still have it?

Yes, i still have my Res, his name is Cameron, he's awesome. My tank is acrylic, so I used a bit of vinager, and LOTs of water (freshwater)... mostly i just scrubed it.. rinsed it.. let it dry.. rinsed it again. glass would be a bit different though because certin chemicals can leach into the silcon, and I'm not sure how you would go about cleaning that. I'd say if you've never used any medications in the tank, you're pretty safe. Just rinse alot. do you still have your turtles?

You said you wanted to get a refractometer? I reccomend the $40 unit from premiumaquatics.com :) works great!

polo team?? I'm so jealous. I'm going to Michigan Tech Univ where it gets 6 feet of snow in some places! Definatly no place for horses X)

The tank looks great! Keep us posted! :happy:

I have friends going to tech next year, deffiantly too cold for me. My first choice for college was in california... but my parents about exploded. They're paying for it, so I guess I'm stuck in state for a while. (MSU is going to rock though, I'm really looking forward to it)

I'm planning on buying the refractormeter from DIYreef.com

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?c...&products_id=35

I think its the same one.... and it's usually in stock

It sure is cold! But I LOVE to ski, so it's perfect for me ;)

I'm sure you'll love MSU! Most people I know that go there like it. Beware of parking! I can never find parking. LOL

yep same refractometer and they seem to have better luck keeping them in stock than premium aquatics ;)

Parking won't be a problem.. (freshmen aren't allowed to have cars on campus :( ) I don't know what i'm going to do with out a car... i guess just make alot of friends that do.

I like your S/N by the way.... do you ride?

Yep! I love horses! Actually this sn spawned from my love of seahorses. Check out seahorse.org if you're interested in them. Pretty neat fish. ;)

ynotynot123

I just noticed you both talking about michigan, made me think of home. I just moved from michigan 5 months ago. I lived in Fremont, a little town north of Grand Rapids. I moved out here to California to go to Cal Poly. I was actually gonna go to MSU, but they're engineering program isn't so good. Michigan Tech was another option but i just couldn't handle the weather up there. Aquafilly, i like the s/n too. i used to ride before i moved. I rodeoed with michigan high school rodeo association...calf roping and team roping. Actually, that's sorta how i got into this reef hobby. I missed having stuff back around home to take care of and the only thing i was allowed to have in the dorm was fish. Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread. keep up the good work on your tank, looks great so far.

Tony

If you're going to talk about horses, by all means hijack my thread! There's not many guy riders in my area, at least not my age. How are you likeing california? I wish i could go there... some day! I've been looking into UC Davis, and the vet program there. After some time at MSU I might transfer there. Nice to meet you!

5Gallon Update:

Well.... going on almost 3 weeks now, and today I recieved a BUNCH of salifert test kits from Lusty that she didn't need. (You are awesome thank you!) and I tested everything I could.

Here is where we stand:

Amonia-- 0

Nitrite-- 0

Nitrate-- 3

Phosphate-- 3

PH-- 8.0

Kh-- 11.5

Alk-- 4.11

Calcium-- 320

So the calcium is too low, and I tested my fresh r/o water for phospates (just in case) and that was 0. Hopefully that will go down, not that I have Cheato in my fuge. (Which was given to me by HuBu, Thank you!)

The tank cycled really fast and I think it was because all my sand came from a fully established tank at my local (basement) fish store. The rock was pretty much cured as well. I'm going to add 2-3 more lbs for a total of 8-9lbs in my almost 6 gallon nano good amount? I think so. Would It be ok to pick up a few hermits and snails with my new LR tomorrow? I've got a ton of algea growth.

We're going to set up the MH tomorrow (hopefully and Finally!)

I know! I know! ok Here's the deal. Yesterday I went and got 2 more lbs of LR, 2 zebra hermits, and 2 astreas. (he didn't have any cerith or nass) I have some updated pictures... but unfortunetly not with the light yet. Believe me, I'm as impatiet about this as you are! :) It may be complete by tomorow if we don't run into any difficulty (yah right huh? i've been saying this for how long?)

anyway... here's some pics for you!

first of all.... the current lighting situation... what a mess.. but it's getting there.

He's an updated version of the tank. You can tell which rock is the new rock by it's lack of nasty algea. It's tonga branch btw

heres a top view of my fuge running into my tank. Complete with LR and cheato! I think I might set up some type of halogen light for the fuge. Like xenon of somthing.

My internet dies last night and i was never able to post the rest of my pics. and I will but right now i have a problem! We finished wireing the MH last night and When I wento to plug it in this morning it didn't work! The bulb flashes probably every half a second, about 10 times and then just stops. What did we do wrong? The bulb isn't burnt out because after it did it the first time. I unpluged it, and pluged it back in and it did the exact same thing. Can anybody help me? KrackerG you around anywhere? last time i checked your PM box was full.

if anyone knows whats wrong help me. Thanks!

p.s. here's the fixture

It all good now! The bulb just needed wiggleing into place better. It's so bright! Here's another pic of my light fixture.

I also set up a drip style water topoff. I work at a vets office so I was able to get the tubeing and adjustable piece. Works perfect!

I hope nobody minds how many photos I'm uploading. :)

Here's my two zebra hermits. They're buzzing all over the tank. I have a bunch of those cute purple/white shells that I got at a beach a few years ago. They are the perfect size for the hermits to grow into.

Archived