Top Shelf Aquatics

Friar's 4 gallon Finnex - R.I.P.

friar1

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stomatella in my opinion

After some help in the ID Forum and extra research, we have concluded that it is a stomatella, good call Brandon!

After some help in the ID Forum and extra research, we have concluded that it is a stomatella, good call Brandon!

awesome little addition to the cuc :D is it as fast as the ones in my tank are? they zoom around.....................

It is pretty quick but not as fast as the Nassarius snails though, they really go fast!

How big do stomatellas get?

Hi Brandon,

I didn't really beat it, but it is seriously under control. CUC and water quality seem to be doing the job. I can watch some strands come up and then a week or so later, they are gone. New stuff comes up, then later it is gone. My snails are awesome, they even chow down on very long GHA, I just have to wait it out. I have seen them going right past nice green patches, and then the next thing you know, they are right on top of it, chowing down.. Seen them do this on Bryopsis as well. Astounding. I also watch Some bryopsis just wither and die. Takes time, but always seems to happen. I have a couple of very withered strands in the tank right now, nothing more.

thats an ideal situation where internal controls are helping your algae no one can ever say a 1.5 gallon reef is a bad way to break into the hobby based on your success w this tank lol

Well, I think part of the reason for good stability in a young tank is that I used mature live rock with very little die off.

The live rock that I got from Strictly Fish in Lakewood, CA had a ton of bleached Coralline on it. Most of that Coralline is now purple and is spreading. It had been in their tanks for quite some time, the rest of the rock came from the 1.5 Gallon Tetra, which had ended up winning the GHA battle after about seven or so months.

That plus I do not feed the tank very often (once in a while, zooplex or Cyclopeez), I mainly just spot feed; plus having a little phosphate sponge in the filter, helps keep the water quality up. and of course water changes (25% a week).

I am really enjoying seeing how long I can watch the pest algae grow before doing anything. So far, I haven't had to wait too long and it goes away or gets eaten, lol! I haven't had to do anything so far, or nothing beyond using the nano mag to get it off the glass, not much work there.

It is also interesting to note, that there are patches of GHA that seem to be stubborn. One patch is on the Astrea snail. It gets VERY long and just when I think I might have to do something, along comes a Cerith to mow it down, still surprising how they are chomping on the long stuff. Another patch is in a shady spot on the back side of the live rock. Also getting very long, but not spreading, so I am waiting to see if it gets eaten or if I will have to trim it myself. It is a 1/2 inch square patch and does not seem to be spreading, just growing long. The only thing I can think of is that this patch does not have any coralline growing on it because of the shade, but that is just a guess.

All this info is only anecdotal, not using any scientific experimentation, so readers take all this with a grain of salt.

Hi Newman, yeah, I also have other shady spots that do not have GHA, but do have Coralline from the earlier tank still.

Oh, and I just spotted the stomatella, it is much bigger already!

So, funny thing happened.

I was talking earlier about the patch of GHA in the shady spot. It got real long and not spreading, but no CUC action either. Probably the oldest of the GHA in my tank. Well I just looked at it and waddaya know? the Astrea is going town on that patch and almost has it cleaned up. Just amazing. The weird thing is, I had this same snail in my Tetra. When the GHA got bad in the Tetra, this snail wouldn't touch anything long, as far as I could tell. Neither would the Ceriths, so I am at a loss to explain why these snails are now mowing down GHA that is over 1/2 inch in length. I am going o have to take pictures of this long Algae if it happens again, just to record the snails eating it while it is long.

Well, the snail did not get it all, but most of it. On that snail is the other patch of GHA. It grows a bunch and then gets eaten by snails, it grows long again, gets eaten by snails, both dwarf and regular Ceriths. I expect this patch to re-grow again, but we will see. Not concerned, just interesting to see snails eat such long algae.

:)

michaelmouae38

Wow I just read your entire history and what a success. I have a 4 gal finnex also and it has been up for a month and you commented on one of my post's. So you say c-balance is good I am looking into kent nano part a&b looks like the same stuff. That snail you were wondering about looks like a ram snail?? I just have a hermit crab and turbo snail in my tank for now with a 3 stripe Damsel. I just got a coralife 50/50 10k power compact light for the fixture that came with the tank. I wish you luck and please keep us all posted.

post-67365-1309166128_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Actually, the consensus was that it is a stomatella snail, and now that it has grown, it really looks more like a stomatella now.

Algae issues are weird. I tried everything in the 1.5 gallon Tetra, in the end it seemed that Chemi-Pure Elite and patience was the key.

I am following your tank. I like to see what others do with similar tanks to what I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I will, as soon as my order arrives from Sea Life Inc. Getting some snail, but also a ric

Thanks for asking :)

Just read through this thread, nice tank! :D I really like the duncans

Could we get a more recent FTS? I'd like to see all the coralline growth :)

Yeah, the Duncan colony came from the Tetra 1.5 Gallon.

I now have some issues with what appear to be Hydroids, although they do not look like pics I have seen online, they behave in the same manner. I am going to hook up my Canister filter again, since that did such a nice job on the nutrients in the Tetra 1.5

Don't know if i can get a good shot of the coralline on the rocks, and there still is not much on the glass, but I will try.

FTS will be here once I get the orange ric in the tank, hopefully in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking

Archived