ReefCleaners.org

Friar's 4 gallon Finnex - R.I.P.

friar1

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking around the tank, I found a baby feather duster, but this one has beautiful red feathers! It is very small, hopefully it will grow and thrive.

Well, my AC70 came with a small crack at the bottom of it. Had to take it out, just using the HOB that came with the finnex and some pura pad in it for now.

Need to find some aquarium grade silicon Weld-On #3 to patch the crack in the AC 70

But all in all, tank looks good. I moved half of the live rock from the Tetra 1.5 gallon to this one (See latest FTS), includes the Miami Vice Zoas I got last year. Hopefully they will start growing now that they have better lighting. This weekend I hope to move the rest of the inhabitants (RPEs, Rics, Brittle Star) from the Tetra over to the Finnex.

Moved the Brittle Star into the Tank from the Tetra. Of course I can't get a pic because he hides when the light is on, but he is there. Once he settles in, I will feed him and then get a shot. He'll come out for food!

Yes!

All the rock and animals are now moved from the Tetra 1.5 Gallon to this one, the 4 Gallon Finnex

4gfts52011.jpg

The Star of the tank (he's shy)

PicoStar.jpg

Then I found this, it has been under the rock all this time? It appears to be a bi-valve? (i am no marine biologist) Any ideas? It closes like some kind of a clam, fast, when a shadow moves across it. You can't see it but it's underside is like a double chin.

ID.jpg

oooo real nice, see a larger water volume offers so much more :D

that bivalve can either be a mollusc or in a rarer case a brachiopod.

its hard to tell from that pic, but its likely either a clam or some odd scallop.

oooo real nice, see a larger water volume offers so much more :D

Thanks Newman

Not to mention, the glass keeps the temp more stable than my acrylic one did, since the Tetra was always getting hotter than I wanted, it trapped heat a lot more, this glass tank is easier to cool.

There is some evap, I have a partial cover on the tank. I am planning to make a better one after I get the AC 70 repaired.

Yeah, some kind of clam I guess, just hangs out under the rock. Now..... I need Livestock! Don't know yet what I will buy, I am sort of cheap. lol The Mini Mini turned out to be a great buy, the rock that came with it has two red feather dusters, VERY tiny. Hope they thrive.

Another shot of the starfish. He got bigger than I realized!

PicoStar2.jpg

So...

Right now I have

• 12 dwarf Ceriths
  • 3 regular Ceriths
  • 2 Nassarius
  • 1 Astrea Snail
  • Red People Eater colony- 9 Polyps
  • Miami Vice colony - 5 Polyps
  • 2 Ricordea - one has four mouths
  • Duncan - 8 or more heads (hard to tell)
  • 1 Mini-Mini Carpet Anemone
  • Large Red Brittle Star
  • Feather Dusters
  • Bristle worms
  • Anonymous Clam(?)

Looking to get possibly Acans, or more Zoas or more rics, Or possibly a branching type Duncan, or Maxi-Mini or I Don't know! Any other suggestions? I would like to populate the lower part of the rocks with some lower light corals, but still something with color.

Right now I have the Royal Blue LED's dimmed to about 50%, to let the arrivals from the Tetra tank get acclimated. I will be turning it up a little at a time.

The snails are awesome Algae eaters! They attack anything, they weren't like this in my old tank. They are voracious eaters. Really like having them.

Thanks for looking

love the progressive FTS!

your star looks really nice, lol. you may want to feed your CUC some nori or somehting too, cause it sounds like you have a large crew for a small tank.

Oh yeah, you are right, the crew is getting supplemental feeding, but not too much! They actually seem about right for this tank, I know it's more than is recommended, but this is what reef cleaners gave me and I did not have the heart to kill any of them( I did not order this many snails!)

It's the Nass that I am worried about, since they are not algae eaters. But they scavenge the coral food pretty well as do the bristleworms. I love the bristleworms! :lol:

But I am thinking a lot of these animals eat much that is invisible to the naked eye, so wait and see.

Thanks!

Going to So Cal this weekend to look for Coralz! Actually visiting family, but also Looking for Coralz! :ninja: Hope I find a deal or two. fingerscrossed

Tank is looking AWESOME.

A few posts back you were talking about what to get... I recently got some acans and have loved it. They're hardy, interesting to feed, and have helped me learn about water chemistry in relation to feeding schedules, etc., in a small tank. Secret bonus is that they're usually beautiful :D

Yep I was thinking about some acans. Problem is, when I visit an LFS, they either don't have them, or they are super pricey, like more than $100.00.

I have seen many online for much less, but when you add shipping, whoops!, Still pricey.

So unless Pacific Reef in Fontana has them at a good price, it is unlikely I will be getting any soon. Here's hoping!

Thanks for the compliment. :)

friar are you looking at entire colonies or frags? frags should be $30 at most for a regular acan, and $10 is a good price that you can find sometimes online.

Yeah frags,

but with overnight shipping turns into 60 or 70 dollars for a good acan frag.

Hopefully my trip will allow me to find some acans, but if not, I am sure I will find something to bring home :)

Pacific Reef in Fontana, California has nice reviews. We will see. Strictly Fish I know has some good frags but I never see Acans in there.

Went to a shop in Long Beach and they had acan but no frags and would only sell the colony for 150 dollars.

Want to stop in at Vivid Aquariums in Canoga Park, but it is too far out of the way. Sheesh!

B)

Going to Strictly Fish tonight, they do not have acans, but some nice candy cane coral and zoas. Went to Pacific Reef, their frag tanks did not look healthy, lots of pest algae and many of their zoas were all closed up, so that was a no go.

Hoping to have additions in my tanks tomorrow.

Got two frags of Candy Cane - Caulastrea coral, and some zoas from Strictly Fish. They looked pretty good, will transport them back to home tomorrow.

Pics soon.

Builder Anthony

They are rather intresting corals.I thought they were boring first seeing them but in the tank they are mysterious.

Coralzzzz! Picsssss! Gollum!

Acclimating to light

Candy Canes. The one on the left looks like a Candy Cane/Zoa hybrid LOL! But it is a zoa mat growing on the side of the Candy Cane coral.

candycane.jpg

Zoas

zoagreen.jpg

Archived