Cultivated Reef

What kind of Coral is this?

quikcolin

Hi guys,

I have this growing on one of my rocks... and I'm unsure of what it is? It is coloured like a hammer coral, or frogspawn.... but it lays kinda flat, unless the lights are off it, it kinda curls into itself...

IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

Could it be an Anemone? It has a different looking "spot" right in the middle... kinda like a mouth?

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking probably not a mojano due to the flatness and non-uniformity of some of the tips. Most Mojos that I've seen have pretty uniform, bubble style tips. And a stalk (depending on location).

A top-down shot could help us get a better idea.

If it is a mojano, it's a nice one :)

And, whichever of the two it may be, it will eat meaty foods.

I have to run out the door, but as soon as I get back in I will try to get a picture from the top...

after doing a quick google image search of a mojano... it looks much more like that than a green hairy mushroom...

Stay tuned

lol. I dont think that is paintball. I think its a guy riding a motorcycle.

I thought it was paintball all day lol then a while ago gave it a good look. You are correct.

Hahaha, yea I race motorcycles

Okay cool! So know I know what it is... Are they good? There are these c-thru "tubes" growing on that rock, near this mojano.

Mojano are usually considered to be pest anemones. Some people like them, but they spread quickly.

and pics would be useful in identifying the "tubes"

If you take a look at the top of this thread... The 2nd pic you can see the tube if you look closely.

Yea I've done some quick research... People don't seem to like these too much? Why? Due to the fact that they can spread quickly? Do they take over? What are the true "cons" to these little suckers?

My vote is 'shroom. Definitely not a ric though. I dont think it is a majano either. In the pictures it looks like there is a slightly raises mouth in the center with a line dividing in yeah? I havent seen any majano that look like that but all the shrooms Ive ever seen look just like it.

My vote is 'shroom. Definitely not a ric though. I dont think it is a majano either. In the pictures it looks like there is a slightly raises mouth in the center with a line dividing in yeah? I havent seen any majano that look like that but all the shrooms Ive ever seen look just like it.

yea... it does have a raised "mouth" smack dab in the center of it... you're right.

hmmmm, so what is it guys lol B) Mushroom or Majano? lol

yea... it does have a raised "mouth" smack dab in the center of it... you're right.

hmmmm, so what is it guys lol B) Mushroom or Majano? lol

I still vote for majano. Anemones can have raised mouths too...

majano.JPG

Majano w/ "raised" mouth

Archived