inTank Media Baskets

Marine Collection Laws For California

pmoradi2002

AquaticEngineer

Its nice that they finally put it in a "Species Prohibited" and "Species Allowed" format. It makes it much more clear.

Its nice that they finally put it in a "Species Prohibited" and "Species Allowed" format. It makes it much more clear.

but those only show in the mpa areas, go to your local tackle shop and grab a dfg handbook there you will see everything you need to know about whats legal to take and whats not.

we can go as aquarists and harvest 3 garibaldi a year with the permits from dfg, their socal home base happens to be right down the st from me in los alamitos.

AquaticEngineer
but those only show in the mpa areas, go to your local tackle shop and grab a dfg handbook there you will see everything you need to know about whats legal to take and whats not.

we can go as aquarists and harvest 3 garibaldi a year with the permits from dfg, their socal home base happens to be right down the st from me in los alamitos.

You are definitely going to have to get me one of those :D

we can go as aquarists and harvest 3 garibaldi a year with the permits from dfg.

What are the names of the permits you are referring to?

Permits typically are purpose specific, and I've never heard of any permits designed for aquarists (people who like to keep aquariums). I'm familiar with the following permits, but they wouldn't apply:

1) Scientific Collection Permit (for people associated with science or educational institutions)

2) Marine Aquaria collector's permit (for people collecting marine animals and plants for sale in the "marine aquaria pet trade". This permit costs $330 per year, and specifically prohibits taking Garibaldi.

I seriously doubt that your statement is accurate but I'd love to be proven wrong. Please include a reference to the section of the California DFG Code with any response, so that we can verify. I've found that people, including some DFG people, often believe things that are not accurate about the DFG laws, and that the written code is the only way to know what's true.

• 1 month later...
Under the Marine Aquaria Collection permit, I did not see any sort of anenome in the allowed and prohibited

list. Please see this list

http://law.justia.com/codes/california/200...596-8598.6.html

They are the third thing down on the prohibited list:

8598. (a) ... specimens of the following groups or species shall not

be taken, possessed aboard a boat, or landed for commercial purposes.

...:

(1) Invertebrates:

© Coelenterata--corals, anemones; all species.

Note, from Wikipedia:

Coelenterata is an obsolete long term encompassing two animal phyla, the Ctenophora (comb jellies) and the Cnidaria (coral animals, true jellies, sea anemones, sea pens, and their allies)

Except for fish, Just about anything that would be interesting to have in a home aquarium is prohibited for commercial take. They erred heavily on the "safe" side. So you can't buy California native anemones because they can't be legally taken by commercial collectors (except for science reasons) but you can collect your own from areas that are outside "Marine Protected Areas" and that are farther then 1000 feet from the mean high tide line. That takes some doing, but it's doable.

• 3 weeks later...
johnmaloney

CA has weird laws. Strict on somethings completely lax on others. No nems, but you can gill net to your heart's content. Odd. (Gill netting and trawling are basically the source of all real fishery problems. Gill netting is a horrible practice that kills tons of bycatch each day)

Archived