Cultivated Reef

20H Reef Tank: now with %100 more Peacock Mantis

paradox_of_reef

paradox_of_reef

Ok so this weekend i did a few things. I did a bunch of tank upkeep yesterday. i got a new reusable bag for carbon, some new macro algae, and some new filter floss. I got some new CUC including 4dwarf zebra Hermits and 4 Florida Ceriths snails. I emptied the skimmer cup and did a big water change. Also i got ahold of some frag tiles and i will soon frag a few of my corals. I'm going to frag about half of my large leather and put them in my frag tank. I plan on making at least six pocillopora frags, six green bird's nest corals, and six leather coral frags. anyway look for a farming thread from me soon.

Biology term of the day: Phosphodiester Bonds

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love your tank. mantis shrimps are cool. just wish they would come out more for viewing. the small white mushroom is probably a clone of the other just bleached due to the shadow that it seems to be in.

Cool tank. I had a peacock mantis tank at one point but lightning struck my house and it died. Was easily the coolest animal I have ever had. I don't know what that species requires or how big it gets, but I would suggest that you make sure you siphon the sand bed. They can ruin it quickly with how much they eat IME. My sand bed was fully saturated with phosphates after having mine for 7 months.

paradox_of_reef
Cool tank. I had a peacock mantis tank at one point but lightning struck my house and it died. Was easily the coolest animal I have ever had. I don't know what that species requires or how big it gets, but I would suggest that you make sure you siphon the sand bed. They can ruin it quickly with how much they eat IME. My sand bed was fully saturated with phosphates after having mine for 7 months.

Thanks for the advice... I'm not new to reefing but i am new to fine sand beds and i've been having trouble keeping this one clean and cyano free. I've been meaning to add to the sand bed to have a true DSB but i haven't had the funds to do that lately. Abaddon is almost full grown at about three and a half inches (he might get to four inches) and he has plenty of room in my 20gallon especially since i hardly ever see him. anyway im going to frag several corals sometime this week so look out for new pics soon

love your tank. mantis shrimps are cool. just wish they would come out more for viewing. the small white mushroom is probably a clone of the other just bleached due to the shadow that it seems to be in.

I would have thought so as well but at the time that same mushroom had already had a bud that was fully colored despite being even more shadowed. In the past few days that white bud has started to color up the same as the other mushroom so i guess it was just being weird.

5601909500_06fdbeab7e_z.jpg

Thats a weird looking growth pattern on the birdsnest. Looks really cool though, I wonder if it was fragged to look like that. Tank looks great.

Suprisingly They don't but I used to have three[firefish]. The first one i got thought he was the king of everything and started a bunch of fights but he lost them all...

Not the best attitude to have in a tank with a mantis.....

paradox_of_reef
Thats a weird looking growth pattern on the birdsnest. Looks really cool though, I wonder if it was fragged to look like that. Tank looks great.

Not the best attitude to have in a tank with a mantis.....

Thanks for the complment! It means a lot sometimes I feel all alone in my tank thread. Anyway its really funny that you would bring up my birsdnest now because I literally just got finished fragging off about half it for my aquaculter side project. And yes it is almost flat on one side its almost more like a sea fan than a birdsnest.

As far as my mantis goes when I first bought him I left him at the store till I could find new homes for all my other fish. I had to stop giving fish to irondragon013 because they just want to carpet surf over at his place. I couldn't find anyone to take my firefish (only the two I have now) so I regretfully had to keep them with the mantis. To this day my mantis has not touched either of them oddly enough. Although I have run out of emerald crabs.

paradox_of_reef

I've decided that I'm going to remove a lot of the rocks from my tank ans increase the sand bed to be a true DSB. I don't have much of a bioload and all the rocks I have aren't needed really. Anyone have any opinions on this ? I doubt it because I don't get too manu visitors here.

Anyway biology term of the day: Extant

paradox_of_reef

So i finally got paid for the entire month of march so its time to do some long overdue upgrades to my system. I have decided to but all new bulbs for my T5 fixture. I am going to remove a lot of the live rock i have in my tank because i don't think that it is neccessary with my low bioload. i bought a large pack of salt and i will now be mixing my own saltwater. So look for a new scape and new bulbs in the near future. till next time.

Biology term of the day: Okazaki Fragment

paradox_of_reef
Get some new pics up when you have the new scape.

Will do. the change will be slow tho... i don't want to yank ten pounds of rock out of my tank overnight.

looks really good dude, that birdsnest looks sick the way it grew lol show us a pic of the mantis if you can.

Unfortunately he's a bit camera shy. I see him often but he rarely stays still. i'll have to stake him out and get some better shots.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

paradox_of_reef
beautiful tank! (:

Thanks! its in transition right now... I'm taking out excess rock because i only have two fish and a mantis

paradox_of_reef

I was having flow problems in the rock stack. You couldn't tell from the pic but the rock work was essentially hollow and i think the dead zones in there were fueling my recent cyano problems. I plan on eliminating that with the new scape.

Also the hollow made it so Abaddon never had to leave the rock work. He was spoiled. but now he won't be so lucky. He'll have to come out and put on a show for his meals from now on LOL

Thanks for the compliment!

irondragon013
Also the hollow made it so Abaddon never had to leave the rock work. He was spoiled. but now he won't be so lucky. He'll have to come out and put on a show for his meals from now on LOL

He is still going to expect room service :P

paradox_of_reef

So Here's a pic of a trial build for a live rock riser. I have weight tested it and it held up just fine. I'll be making other ones to go under different rocks.

5666121340_a6980a8318_z.jpg

Biology term of the day: Dean's List

As in if i get a B or better in my Bio class i'll make the Dean's list

paradox_of_reef

In the past few days I have bought a bunch of new things for my aquarium. I have new lights in the mail, coral on order from several NR members and one very special new tank inhabitant. Ill have my new scape and everything up next week se you all then.

Biology term of the day: cyclic AMP

paradox_of_reef

Ok just finished by Biology final. I know what you are thinking POR aren't you on the east coast isn't it like 8 am there. And you would be correct my bio final was at 7 in the morning. Its like some kind of sick joke the University wanted to play on students this year.

I have new coral coming in today and tomorrow and a new CUC coming from reefcleaners later this week. On Sunday I'm going to remove my firefish and downgrade to a regular species tank.

Biology term of the day: Archaea

Just read this whole thread....very nice job there....I love the poccillopora and that birdsnest

Can't wait to see the pics of your new stuff ;)

paradox_of_reef

my tank is officially spine free. Today i captured my fire fish and took them to the store along with my sea urchin and some coral old coral i felt were out of place.

I've gotten some new coral from meowzer and davelink I will have pictures later this week. Thanks you guys.

Also i have removed abaddon and given him to a close friend to stay in our joint frag tank. For now the largest thing in my tank is my turbo snail lol.

Thats all for now. additional pics and special new surprises later this week!

Biology term of the day: Halocaridina Rubra

Archived